The Dawkins Scale

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: The Dawkins Scale
(19-08-2015 06:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 10:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You can't be an atheist, without theistic claims. Ergo, atheists (by default) don't possess positive beliefs about god claims, but reject these claims. Atheists might believe other things in a positive sense, but not with respect to god claims.

Nicely done TBD.

A little story...

Until yesterday I didn’t know I didn’t believe in Zot, Creator of the Creator of the Multiverse. I now have to call myself an a-Zotheist because most of the people around me are Zotheists and this is how I distinguish my non-belief from their belief.

Mind you no evidence has been given for Zot’s existence by the Zotheists but they are an overbearing, intrusive, bunch of zealots that want me to live my life based on the life and teachings of Zot as ridiculous as they might be.

So go ahead and call me an a-Zotheist, I believe such a being does not exist and cannot exist. However, since I am a pragmatist, I concede that if empirical evidence of Zot were to come to light I would acknowledge such.

Until then I remain completely unconvinced of Zotheist’s imaginings.

Living my life as though there was any possibility of Zot existing is completely ridiculous.

Put me down for a 7.

All unhail Zot Bowing

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-08-2015, 09:18 AM

The very concept of a god is ill defined, or where it is defined, contrary to every law of nature that we know.

If we did get evidence of a 'god' then it would no longer be a god. It would be an alien, or something running the simulation or something else. We'd start trying to understand it. The very concept of a god is one that relies upon us being ignorant so any proof or evidence is contrary to that. It just so happens that all the evidence we have so far seen has created a smaller gap to push a god into.

As an example, is anyone here happy to choose a number less than 7 for Santa Clause?
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
20-08-2015, 11:31 AM
(19-08-2015 06:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think that, like you said, she also does not have any burden of proof.

Fair enough, Thumbsup I'd rather not have that tedious, futile argument.
Now this thread has devolved into an argument over what qualifies for the argument. Facepalm

I don't know if this really qualifies as an ARGUMENT over what qualifies for the argument. Maybe a debate or disagreement, but not a full blown argument....

I mean, that's an interesting definitional question. How far does it have to go to count as an outright argument over what qualifies for the argument?

Angel
20-08-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm still waiting for a coherent definition of "God", thanks.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
20-08-2015, 11:36 AM
(19-08-2015 06:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 12:00 AM)pablo Wrote:  (6000th post)

Braggard Angry

Thumbsup

The word is braggart, in English.

[Image: The_more_you_know_banner.jpg]

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
20-08-2015, 02:06 PM
(20-08-2015 11:36 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 06:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Braggard Angry

Thumbsup

The word is braggart, in English.

[Image: The_more_you_know_banner.jpg]

Braggart.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Depends on what is meant by the word "god." For most of the definitions it would be a 7. Each definition needs its own judgement, and no judgement about existence can be made until the concept is well defined.