The Dawkins Scale

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 09:48 AM
RE: The Dawkins Scale
(18-08-2015 09:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  7

Until a theist brings proof of their god claim, I remain confident that there is no god. Drinking Beverage

SO you know that God doesn't exist?

I know that no claim any theist has ever presented for their god claim is substantiated with actual evidence, and is instead of a figment of their imagination.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-08-2015, 09:49 AM
(18-08-2015 09:47 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  SO you know that God doesn't exist?

Can you read?

Yes, as per Dawkin's:

7- Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'
18-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Someone is still trying to shift the burden of proof. What a dishonest move Drinking Beverage

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-08-2015, 09:50 AM
AFAICT the intent of 7 on the scale was not to indicate conviction that God doesn't exist but more the kind of *unreasonable* belief-in-the-face-of-evidence displayed by many theists. i.e. it does not indicate someone who will change their mind if evidence is presented but rather someone who will remain convinced that there is no God no matter what evidence is presented, even if it satisfies a proper standard. (Of course the difficulty of providing evidence for a claim as grandiose as that of the Christian God is another story, but assuming that such evidence could be assembled.)

Dawkins himself I think calls himself a 6.9... And if God himself say that he can't be sure that there's no God, who am I to disagree?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-08-2015, 09:51 AM
(18-08-2015 09:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  SO you know that God doesn't exist?

I know that no claim any theist has ever presented for their god claim is substantiated with actual evidence, and is instead of a figment of their imagination.

Nothing about that corresponds to a number on the Dawkin's scale.

Unless you "know that there is no God", then you wouldn't be a 7.
18-08-2015, 09:52 AM
(18-08-2015 09:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I know that no claim any theist has ever presented for their god claim is substantiated with actual evidence, and is instead of a figment of their imagination.

Nothing about that correspond to a number on the Dawkin's scale.

Unless you "know that there is no God", than you wouldn't be a 7.

Please, tell me more about what I do and don't believe. I did not know you were a clairvoyant.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
(18-08-2015 09:44 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:28 AM)Free Wrote:  To me at least, I need evidence to support even the possibility- however remote- that God could possibly exist.

I find it pointless to denote even the most remote possibility when there is no need or reason to do so.

As an atheist, when someone says "But you can't prove God doesn't exist," it is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. That's what theists would say, and that is not what an atheist says, and I find this assertion to be completely dishonest.

If something isn't there, and does not find a shred of evidence for support, the most honest position to hold is that it isn't there. Claiming possibilities without evidence is an intellectually dishonest position to hold.

I am 7.0, and I was born this way.

Big Grin

I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

In the same way I can't know for absolute certainty that I'm not just a brain hooked up to a simulation, I can't know for certain that something more powerful than I didn't create all this for his own amusement.

That being said, I find the notion of a deity (and solipsism for that matter) to be utterly ridiculous. Also, one thing I am 100% certain of is that if there is a deity, it sure as fuck isn't Yahweh. That tale is demonstrably nonsense.

Is because you don't know something is all the reason you need to not be certain?

I submit that it is perfectly honest to claim non existence of things that do not demonstrate any possibility of existence. I also submit that it is dishonest to claim the possibility of the things when there is no evidence to support the proposed possibility.

Could you imagine if a scientist claimed that something could possibly exist when he provides no evidence whatsoever? How would you view him? If he has no evidence, it follows that he has no reason to make such a claim. Therefore, even in science, when a claim is completely baseless, should we give any credibility to it?

It is so easy for us to say, "anything is possible." But when you really think about it, anything is not actually possible until demonstrated.

In relation to the existence of God, nothing has ever been demonstrated.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
(18-08-2015 09:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:47 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Can you read?

Yes, as per Dawkin's:

7- Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

"I am confident" != "absolute knowledge"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
18-08-2015, 09:54 AM
(18-08-2015 09:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Someone is still trying to shift the burden of proof. What a dishonest move Drinking Beverage

The burden of proof doesn't fall on anyone who believes or knows, it falls on those trying to convince others to believe or know.
18-08-2015, 09:54 AM
(18-08-2015 09:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Someone is still trying to shift the burden of proof. What a dishonest move Drinking Beverage

The burden of proof doesn't fall on anyone who believes or knows, it falls on those trying to convince others to believe or know.

No. Not at all. But I am sure that in your dishonest world, that makes sense.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post