The Death Industry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

The Death Industry
I struggled with where to put this post and ended up here. I've actually experienced a great deal of Death in my life. Not tons mind you, but I'm well above average for my age. Not too long ago I got real interested in the Death Industry, Funerals, Embalming, Cremation, the whole nine yards. In short while researching death rituals, and the ins and outs of the funeral industry is fascinating, in general I'm sickened by the industry. I think they for the most part prey on individuals in their very most vunerable time. Embalming is really grotesque when you know the details which 99% of people choose to be blissfully ignorant of. 5-10K Caskets are utterly pointless, as are headstones. If one would like to take care of their own dead like we once did you'll not only be labeled insane, but you'll probably be forced by law not to. It's sad really. I was just curious what this groups thoughts on the topic were?
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2011 02:57 PM by cfhmagnet.)
RE: The Death Industry
I don't want to sound like an ass, but is there really an average amount of death people experience in their lifetimes?

The price of caskets is appalling, I will give you that. I don't know about taking advantage of the family with the price factor, because I would have to factor in things like what it cost to produce and ship each unit. If it's expensive to make they have to charge more for it. Do they even offer simple pine boxes anymore? It seems if they don't do that, that might be where they are taking advantage of people. Headstones I think are up to the individual and their family. If that's how you want to remember your family/friend, or if you want your family/friends remember you with it, whatever. I like the monuments I see in cemeteries, some of the work goes to making a beautiful art piece. On the flip side of that though, cemeteries do take up a lot of space that could just as easily be a nature preserve, park, etc. I'm thinking cremation personally.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I have family who does run a funeral home. The prices are high because families want the best of their love ones and also the items are used only once. You can get a lower price if you haggle, but love ones don't really want to haggle after a death.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2011, 03:17 PM

You're not an ass as far as I know. I guess what I meant by that is that I've experienced several family members who have died younger than normal. Additionally for a few of them I've been involved in funeral planning. I don't know that there is an average it just seemed as though I would be slightly above if there was.

Pricing is I suppose one part of my issue as the markup on caskets is extreme. However my main issue is that the funeral director "sell" a bill of goods that is just not necesary. Embalming is NOT necesary in any way shape or form, not even if there will be a showing. Now your loved one will ~gasp~ look dead! As opposed to the the "oh they look so alive" crap you hear at most funerals. Yeah if you only knew what went into making them look "so alive". Additionally they make these people feel as though if you embalm your loved one and encase them in a lead lined box, then pay extra for a thick crypt when you dig them up in 10 years they'll be fresh as a daisy! Oh no they won't! You wouldn't want to see that corpse just trust me on that one. I'm curious to here from the internation representation here because burial is not common in Europe I believe (just no room!). Its just if you by a pine box and toss your loved one in a hole with a basic plaque your villified as not caring. Not caring about what fertelizer?
(08-03-2011 03:12 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I have family who does run a funeral home. The prices are high because families want the best of their love ones and also the items are used only once. You can get a lower price if you haggle, but love ones don't really want to haggle after a death.

Let me be clear on this one thing. I think most Death Care professionals actually DO care. However it IS also a business. I think many undertakers are as taken with our weird death rituals as the rest of us are. We say outwordly their soul is with the Lord, and this is just their empty Earthly vessel, but our actions are completely opposite those words. Their empty Earthly vessel is many times treated better than they were in Life! It's crazy and we need to be more rational about death IMHO.
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
How bout this?

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-i...ents-65775

So many cats, so few good recipes.
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
LOL Stark - did you check out the comments.
Dehumanization of the sacred human form due to Darwin's law of evolution - too fucking funny Big Grin

You gave me a good laugh.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
08-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Personally, the idea of embalming and burial is really creepy to me. The person ends up looking nothing like they did in life. The whole viewing thing is odd to me too, but to each person his own.

I don't want any of that crap. Set me on fire. Send me someplace pretty. Wink

It has always fascinated me that there are actual casket showrooms. That must be weird to pick out for yourself.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
09-03-2011, 04:33 AM
(08-03-2011 09:24 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  It has always fascinated me that there are actual casket showrooms. That must be weird to pick out for yourself.

If I had to do that, knowing me, I'd probably stumble onto some sort of old shipping container in a back room and say, "Oh! Hey everybody. Come back here! I found the perfect one for me!!"

So many cats, so few good recipes.
09-03-2011, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2011 06:08 AM by Lilith Pride.)
Pick a casket? I can become a liquid who wants a boring old casket.

The only worthwhile caskets are the biodegradable ones because the best thing your corpse can do is be re-consumed by the earth. I could never really opt for being put in the ground anyway though.

One good thing about embalming, if the embalmer is preparing your corpse and all the sudden you wake up it's a lot better than, if you're on the conveyor belt about at the furnace and wake to a warm tingling. If they don't embalm you maybe you'll spend the big bucks and buy an alarm casket just in case.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm going out with cryogenics if I can ever afford it.
I'm pretty sure I won't be revived but at least I'll give future historians a cool exhibit :

[Image: Peter_carbonite.jpg]

(is this picture too much or to explicit ?)

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin