The Death Industry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2011, 11:35 PM
RE: The Death Industry
As best as I can tell, there are a few here who indulge in self-embalming fluids. Why wait until you are dead? Do it now. Tongue (hic)

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2011, 11:38 PM
The way I see it is the same as the way one of the champions of science once put it.
I wish for life to dine upon me as I have dined upon life. I don't mean any ritualistic crap, just bacteria and worms.

(08-03-2011 03:17 PM)Dregs Wrote:  ...if you only knew what went into making them look "so alive".

At least they don't stuff them...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
10-03-2011, 08:30 AM

(09-03-2011 11:38 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  The way I see it is the same as the way one of the champions of science once put it.
I wish for life to dine upon me as I have dined upon life. I don't mean any ritualistic crap, just bacteria and worms.

(08-03-2011 03:17 PM)Dregs Wrote:  ...if you only knew what went into making them look "so alive".

At least they don't stuff them...

It would actually be preferable!
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Religious traditions aside, I don't see any sense in Cemeteries. Gardens of stone denoting chemically saturated corpses underground. Given how the body is processed for the casket, it's not like that departed loved one is still inhabiting the body. And if someone want's to come visit where they're planted, what are they actually visiting? A plot of earth with something that is no longer someone, 6 feet under.

I see it as that selfish possessive characteristic inherent in the human animal. We have to know the answer to everything that is, including where to find the dead after we can no longer see them.
What a waste of open land.
10-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, liquid cremation, become a fertilizer. I like this idea, it just might be for me.
(08-03-2011 08:47 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  LOL Stark - did you check out the comments.
Dehumanization of the sacred human form due to Darwin's law of evolution - too fucking funny Big Grin

You gave me a good laugh.
I can't believe how little people understand about science. I found out earlier this year that I didn't know as much about it as I thought, and I've been a big proponent of it ever since I was indoctrinated by some guy named Bill Nye Smile If only there were a way to reach these poor ignorant people...

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
10-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Reaching ignorant people isn't the problem.The internet is abundant with papers , lectures and courses - all free. And there are forums just like this one , and many educated people are on them.
The real problem is convincing people to doubt their beliefs and understand what education and science really is as opposed to the straw-man that is dangled in front of them constantly.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
10-03-2011, 01:49 PM

(10-03-2011 12:50 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Religious traditions aside, I don't see any sense in Cemeteries. Gardens of stone denoting chemically saturated corpses underground. Given how the body is processed for the casket, it's not like that departed loved one is still inhabiting the body. And if someone want's to come visit where they're planted, what are they actually visiting? A plot of earth with something that is no longer someone, 6 feet under.

I see it as that selfish possessive characteristic inherent in the human animal. We have to know the answer to everything that is, including where to find the dead after we can no longer see them.
What a waste of open land.

Wow wow I see so much of me in those statements! I actually talked to my wife after our son was buried and confided to her that I would not be visiting his cemetary plot very or at all. I said I loved him and I'm devastated by losing him, but to me the cemetary doesn't bring me the peace that so many seek. I stand at his grave and am actually saddend that my precious little child's body is sealed in a box being liquified by chemicals. Now it doesn't anger me because in the end it's his skin and bones, not him, but there is no peace for me there either. I remember him 1000 times a day in much healtier ways than I would at the gravesite. She understood where I was coming from and believes me when I say its not my thing. She on the other hand is very typical in that he has seasonal flowers, and a christmas tree, etc, but I too respect that as it brings her peace.
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
(10-03-2011 01:32 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Reaching ignorant people isn't the problem.The internet is abundant with papers , lectures and courses - all free. And there are forums just like this one , and many educated people are on them.
The real problem is convincing people to doubt their beliefs and understand what education and science really is as opposed to the straw-man that is dangled in front of them constantly.
I don't even think people have to start with doubting their beliefs, just finding true definitions for science and education rather than spoon-fed falsities.

10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
(08-03-2011 03:17 PM)Dregs Wrote:  I'm curious to here from the international representation here because burial is not common in Europe I believe (just no room!).
In small-scale-Belgium you rent a lot in general for 7 or 14 years. After that time, the headstone is removed and can be sold second hand. the ceremonial plaque is replaced. the grave is dug open and another person and headstone is put on top. This is done until you have 4 "layers". The forth person is buried holding a deck of cards.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
(10-03-2011 01:54 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(08-03-2011 03:17 PM)Dregs Wrote:  I'm curious to here from the international representation here because burial is not common in Europe I believe (just no room!).
In small-scale-Belgium you rent a lot in general for 7 or 14 years. After that time, the headstone is removed and can be sold second hand. the ceremonial plaque is replaced. the grave is dug open and another person and headstone is put on top. This is done until you have 4 "layers". The forth person is buried holding a deck of cards.
Are caskets used? I'm curious because I'm imagining stacking caskets one on top of another and it seems like a deep hole to have to start with.