The Death Industry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2011, 02:17 PM

RE: The Death Industry
(10-03-2011 02:08 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  
(10-03-2011 01:54 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(08-03-2011 03:17 PM)Dregs Wrote:  I'm curious to here from the international representation here because burial is not common in Europe I believe (just no room!).
In small-scale-Belgium you rent a lot in general for 7 or 14 years. After that time, the headstone is removed and can be sold second hand. the ceremonial plaque is replaced. the grave is dug open and another person and headstone is put on top. This is done until you have 4 "layers". The forth person is buried holding a deck of cards.
Are caskets used? I'm curious because I'm imagining stacking caskets one on top of another and it seems like a deep hole to have to start with.

This isn't answering your question as I can't do so. However in the US caskets are buried inside of concrete (or steel if you're particularly cuckoo) liners. This is to they say prevent the earth from collapsing the casket under its weight. IMHO its just something else to sell the grieving person. Sadly in thevast majority of cemetaries you can be burried there without a buying a liner.
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2011 02:32 PM by Observer.)
(10-03-2011 02:08 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Are caskets used? I'm curious because I'm imagining stacking caskets one on top of another and it seems like a deep hole to have to start with.
I forgot to tell that regulations depend from community to community.

Yes. they use caskets. They are standardised to support the weight of the next casket. Most ornaments are removed once they’re lowered (they are removable). Most people don't even use ornaments. The graves are dug with a backhoe. The coffins are lowered once the friends an family left. There is something unnerving on seeing your departed being dug in with a backhoe.

Cremation is on the rise though. That’s what I would choose, in that way I can irritate my loved one's nostrils.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
(10-03-2011 02:27 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(10-03-2011 02:08 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Are caskets used? I'm curious because I'm imagining stacking caskets one on top of another and it seems like a deep hole to have to start with.
I forgot to tell that regulations depend from community to community.

Yes. they use caskets. They are standardised to support the weight of the next casket. Most ornaments are removed once they’re lowered (they are removable). Most people don't even use ornaments. The graves are dug with a backhoe. The coffins are lowered once the friends an family left. There is something unnerving on seeing your departed being dug in with a backhoe.

Cremation is on the rise though. That’s what I would choose, in that way I can irritate my loved one's nostrils.
I've only ever seen a backhoe used here anymore either, they just keep it out of the way of mourner's if they're being polite. I think that is at least a slightly more functional way to utilize the space, and I like the deck of cards idea, that kind of lightens the situation a bit. But yeah, all in all cremation or donation seem best to me.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
10-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. We all die and I see no point in being sentimental about the remains we leave behind. I want my wife to waste as little money as possible on my corpse.

I don't want to be buried, though. I'd prefer to be cremated and sprinkled over the Pope's cereal, preferably when he is distracted and just before he takes a bite. Let the bastard choke on me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Why the deck of cards? I'm missing it.

I found that whole thing interesting, never really thought about it. Husband says in Germany you have the space for a certain amount of time also, but he wasn't sure what happens after that time is up.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
11-03-2011, 12:03 AM
(10-03-2011 08:44 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Why the deck of cards? I'm missing it.
To play a game of hearths while waiting for rapture Tongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
12-03-2011, 01:01 AM
(11-03-2011 12:03 AM)The_observer Wrote:  

Don't you mean solitare ? Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
(12-03-2011 01:01 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  

Solitaire is a game of 1 or 2. You need 4 players to play hearts, so the fourth one brings the deck.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
13-03-2011, 04:08 AM
(12-03-2011 09:24 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
(12-03-2011 01:01 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  

Solitaire is a game of 1 or 2. You need 4 players to play hearts, so the fourth one brings the deck.
Finally a reasonable person. Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
13-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Ok, I gotta fess up. I didn't get the cards thing either.

So many cats, so few good recipes.