The Death of an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 1 Average
23-04-2013, 02:23 PM
RE: The Death of an Atheist
You know, sometimes I forget just how much of a kook Ed really is...

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2013, 02:25 PM
(23-04-2013 02:20 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 02:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I thought you accepted predestination now?

But we don't know who's elect and who isn't, so it's a pointless bit of theology. There may be atheists out there who are in need of a word that will turn them around--because they are the elect. Or, there may be atheists out there who need to be solidified so they become damned. I have no idea how God is using me when I post. I just do as I'm designed to do.

I have the capacity to boost the faith of those who want to believe, the love to try to convert those who don't by any means necessary, and the courage to take the abuse for trying.

I am an atheist fighter. Atheism is a Satanic force, and I will not sit back and watch it at work. I do as my Father has raised me to do.

Just like you, right?
Nah, I get what you're saying... I'm just addressing your absolutism in your post.

If God predestines, then not every or all will always try to convert. They will only convert if they are elect. If they aren't elect, they can't concert... because they can't know God... because God hasn't acted upon them.

That's what I'm saying.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-04-2013, 02:28 PM
(23-04-2013 02:23 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 02:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, that too.

So... non-believers just go into a nothingness and wander for eternity?

I don't understand what you're saying when it comes to the afterlife.

It's the worst afterlife I can think of and the most just, ironically. It fits every symbolic description Christ gives of hell. It would be my hell.

Oh, and who ever said anything about wandering? You can't wander in nothingness.

"Wander" was a more of a hyperbolic figure of speech than anything... but okay. Fair enough. I see where you're going with that.

I don't think it's correct, but I see the theological logic behind it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-04-2013, 02:29 PM
(23-04-2013 02:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If they aren't elect, they can't concert...

I CAN CONCERT!!!!!!!

I concert all the time. Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
23-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Ego Wrote:...we know that if it can cease to exist, then it’s the same as never having existed in the first place.

Well, yes, that is how it is. I'm not seeing the problem with this. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-04-2013, 02:35 PM
(23-04-2013 02:29 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 02:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If they aren't elect, they can't concert...

I CAN CONCERT!!!!!!!

I concert all the time. Big Grin

I don't think he means playing your skin flute. Drinking Beverage

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-04-2013, 02:35 PM
(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  While they have their health, atheists can be skeptical all they want. It’s easy to be brave when there’s no threat, and if their life is taken from them suddenly, they will feel no need to change. But all human beings have a built-in existential need; we simply cannot accept that our consciousness will cease to exist. We can’t accept it, because we know that if it can cease to exist, then it’s the same as never having existed in the first place. Life is only good if life is eternal. We are hardwired to understand that.

This fails because I'm fine with death. People can accept death, me and everyone else that has is living proof. Will it be scary when it gets closer? sure. So what? Life is good if it's temporal too, I'm experiencing right now, something that wouldn't be happening in the moment if I never existed. It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey.

You however, according to your post, can't cope with the idea of death. I wonder how much of a role that fear has on your belief in a god...

(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  But then comes eternal life, and they get what they always wanted. A universe where there is no God. They are simply consciousness in nothingness. Even today those atheists who have died remain in that universe, that universe of perpetual present nothingness, wondering when life will end. But it doesn’t end; it never will.

[Image: brain.jpg]

We can systematically destroy each of our senses and be left completely blind to the outside world and have only our thoughts, only internal stimulation that comes from a mix of memory and imagination. We could surely mush up enough of the brain so you remain conscious, but that almost nothing is going on. Essentially conscious of your own awareness and that is all. But when your entire brain dies you expect to be totally fine? Please explain.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 3 users Like Adenosis's post
23-04-2013, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 05:16 PM by Peanut.)
(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  While they have their health, atheists can be skeptical all they want. It’s easy to be brave when there’s no threat, and if their life is taken from them suddenly, they will feel no need to change. But all human beings have a built-in existential need; we simply cannot accept that our consciousness will cease to exist. We can’t accept it, because we know that if it can cease to exist, then it’s the same as never having existed in the first place. Life is only good if life is eternal. We are hardwired to understand that.

So, the atheist, if they die slowly, will always convert, or try to, before they go unconscious, even if all they do is scream in their head, “I will never believe in you!” like some petulant child, they all become believers, hopers, religionists, in the end.

But then comes eternal life, and they get what they always wanted. A universe where there is no God. They are simply consciousness in nothingness. Even today those atheists who have died remain in that universe, that universe of perpetual present nothingness, wondering when life will end. But it doesn’t end; it never will.

[Image: brain.jpg]
Why do theists (I'm not saying ALL of them, because I have no evidence to back such a claim) say that all atheists turn to God when they know death is RIGHT THERE? "Everyone is an atheist until the plane with the dead engine starts its rapid decent toward the Earth."

I would like to know how one could assume that someone else would turn to God when they knew they were going to die. Where's the evidence? Have you been told by these atheists that had near-death experiences that they called upon God to forgive them?

I'd like to state (and I don't like to discuss such a personal and traumatic topic usually) that I almost died twice in my short life. The first time when I was giving birth to my son. And the other, more terrifying time when I was strangled by my son's father. (My heart is racing just thinking about those cold eyes, intent on ending my life in an instance of steroid-induced rage.)

That was about 5 years ago. I remember every thought that went through my mind and every second of that "near-death" experience. I'd like to tell you, a theist, that I, an atheist, never once called upon God to save me. I didn't beg for forgiveness. I didn't pray for a miracle. I was intent on SURVIVING and I reacted instinctively to protect myself. I struggled underneath his powerful body and tried to claw at him and, being the forensic-obsessed individual that I am, I tried to pull his hair and scratch him to get the DNA so the authorities could convict him. After realizing fighting was not going to work, I tried the "flight" tactic. I stopped all movement. He thought he killed me and very soon after, he rushed out of the house.

I tell you this because I never thought of God or heaven or angels saving me. What did I think of when I was going to die? My infant son sleeping peacefully in his crib in the next room. I thought that he would grow up with no memory of his mommy.

I don't care about what happens to my body after I die. I will be DEAD. I will live my life Godless and I am content that I'm living my life to the fullest and enjoying LIFE. I have no need to desire to live forever.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 12 users Like Peanut's post
23-04-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2013 03:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  But all human beings have a built-in existential need; we simply cannot accept that our consciousness will cease to exist. We can’t accept it, because we know that if it can cease to exist, then it’s the same as never having existed in the first place. Life is only good if life is eternal. We are hardwired to understand that.

Wrong. Not "built in". You forgot to point out where and how it's built in. Many cultures did not believe in immortality, including ALL of most of Hebrew culture. Just goes to show, The "rev" actually knows not ONE damn thing about the Bible he presumed to re-write. Conditioned response. Juvenile thought process, as usual. You don't get a sucker, you don't want to get the work done.

(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  So, the atheist, if they die slowly, will always convert, or try to, before they go unconscious, even if all they do is scream in their head, “I will never believe in you!” like some petulant child, they all become believers, hopers, religionists, in the end.

Wrong again, deluded one. They do not. You have no proof of this. Obviously you have never seen one die. And as usual what you're doing here is "rehersing" for YOURSELF, YOUR thought process if YOU were to be an atheist ... YOUR GREATEST FEAR. THAT is what this is all about. You fear the fact that underneath your shitty exterior, YOU REALLY ARE an antheist, and that scares the crap out of you.

Get some therapy. You need it.

(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  But then comes eternal life, and they get what they always wanted. A universe where there is no God. They are simply consciousness in nothingness. Even today those atheists who have died remain in that universe, that universe of perpetual present nothingness, wondering when life will end. But it doesn’t end; it never will.

Prove it.
There is no post-mortem working of a brain. There is no mechanism for it. You have not even begun to speculate how that might happen. Just more talking out your ass. Get an education in Neuroscience, Egor.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2013, 02:54 PM

(23-04-2013 02:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 02:02 PM)Egor Wrote:  So, the atheist, if they die slowly, will always convert, or try to, before they go unconscious, even if all they do is scream in their head, “I will never believe in you!” like some petulant child, they all become believers, hopers, religionists, in the end.

Have you ever played the card game "Bullshit"?

http://www.pagat.com/beating/cheat.html

I'm calling you on your hand. There is no possible way you can know what all atheists do or don't do on their deathbeds. Personally I think you're just vying for attention.

I don't know what all atheists do on their deathbed, but it's somewhat irrelevant. What I do know is people, and I know atheists, and I especially know atheists who hang around religious forums. They think in the back of their mind that they will be rewarded for rejecting God. They think if there is a God, He will appreciate their skepticism. But what they don't realize is that if there is a God, we were created for His purpose, not He for ours. He didn't give us life to use for ourselves. Hell, even fish in an aquarium are kept for their beauty--even they serve a purpose.

What would an atheist even do in Paradise? They didn't do anything on earth.
Quote this message in a reply