The Death of an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 1 Average
25-04-2013, 01:41 PM
RE: The Death of an Atheist
Once bitten twice shy.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2013, 01:52 PM
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

This is the stumbling block of any religion based on ancient judaism, Yahweh is ultimately an unjust god who desires only worship. So even if (despite all of the evidence against any such being actually existing) he does exists he does not warrant praise or adulation. Its sad that the cult that managed to shoulder out it's competition in Europe was based on the opposite of this statement it gave rise to the justification of untold evils in the name of a supposedly "Holy God".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
25-04-2013, 01:53 PM
(25-04-2013 12:23 PM)Egor Wrote:  You know all the evidence for God that I do. You can read the Gospel record independently as I did. You could form your own religion from it as I have. No one's telling to ever be like the bible-thumping Christians you despise--they aren't right either. Most of them are going to hell just the same.

You have these choices while you are alive, and if you had no inclination, you wouldn't be in here making your case to the most hated person in this forum.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Uh Egs... it's fiction. All that "evidence for god" and "gospel record" - it's all fiction.
If it matters to you, ok - up to you - it does not matter to others and many of us are aware this is something you refuse to understand.
You can only control what you accept.
You can not control what others accept.
Do you go to your zealot friends and say, "Oh yea - those atheists, I hang out with them the way Jesus did and of course, they hate me." ... with a boo-hoo and receive a pat on the back?
Just rhetorical questions.

I'm pretty sure no one on this forum hates any person. Most people hate the actions of a person, rather than the person. Just wanted to make that clear.

You control you - and only you - no one else.
People choose for themselves what influences them. The majority of atheists on this forum (and others) understand this.
Very few people on this forum care about an over-rated, overworked, poorly written, irrelevant bit of fiction which you and others think is real.
No one here (that I'm aware of) hates you personally.

If anything Egor, you are a shining example of the hatred and self loathing among the religious which is perpetuated throughout the world by religion. You and people like you, are the reason many come to recognize their atheism. It is possible you have done more to usher in the en masse flight toward atheism, than you will ever know.

So, no.
No one here hates you. Many just feel sad that someone in the community they are a part of, remains in the clutches of something they know how hard it is to break free from. People don't like seeing others spiral down numerous times... it's possibly even more difficult when it looks like it could be familiar.

But don't worry Egor, I think you'll be ok. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
25-04-2013, 02:40 PM
(25-04-2013 12:23 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 11:48 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The problem as I see, Egor, is you are unable to step outside of your own perspective enough to fully appreciate that others really do see things differently than you.

What are you talking about? Of course, I know that people see things differently than me. That's the problem, isn't it? An atheist refuses to believe in God or Jesus Christ, and this puts their soul in jepordy.

If I were dying today, I could no more desire to convert than you could desire to start worshiping a rock on your deathbed; because I believe just as strongly that there is nothing that is "god" as you believe no rock is "god".

Okay. Maybe it's the case that you are utterly damned and unable to see the light, in fact have been blinded by God so you can't see the light and never will. But I don't accept that; I will not accept that.

And I will not let go of your hand as you dangle over a cliff just because you try to convince me it's a lost cause.

You know all the evidence for God that I do. You can read the Gospel record independently as I did. You could form your own religion from it as I have. No one's telling to ever be like the bible-thumping Christians you despise--they aren't right either. Most of them are going to hell just the same.

You have these choices while you are alive, and if you had no inclination, you wouldn't be in here making your case to the most hated person in this forum.

I don't refuse to believe in God or Jesus any more than I refuse to believe in anything for which there is no evidence.

You just don't get it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2013, 03:11 PM
(25-04-2013 01:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

This is the stumbling block of any religion based on ancient judaism, Yahweh is ultimately an unjust god who desires only worship. So even if (despite all of the evidence against any such being actually existing) he does exists he does not warrant praise or adulation. Its sad that the cult that managed to shoulder out it's competition in Europe was based on the opposite of this statement it gave rise to the justification of untold evils in the name of a supposedly "Holy God".
Not an actual quote, sort of adapted from a part of his meditations, losely.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
25-04-2013, 04:20 PM
(25-04-2013 01:53 PM)kim Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 12:23 PM)Egor Wrote:  You know all the evidence for God that I do. You can read the Gospel record independently as I did. You could form your own religion from it as I have. No one's telling to ever be like the bible-thumping Christians you despise--they aren't right either. Most of them are going to hell just the same.

Uh Egs... it's fiction. All that "evidence for god" and "gospel record" - it's all fiction.
If it matters to you, ok - up to you - it does not matter to others and many of us are aware this is something you refuse to understand.
You can only control what you accept.
You can not control what others accept.
Do you go to your zealot friends and say, "Oh yea - those atheists, I hang out with them the way Jesus did and of course, they hate me." ... with a boo-hoo and receive a pat on the back?
Just rhetorical questions.

I'm pretty sure no one on this forum hates any person. Most people hate the actions of a person, rather than the person. Just wanted to make that clear.

You control you - and only you - no one else.
People choose for themselves what influences them. The majority of atheists on this forum (and others) understand this.
Very few people on this forum care about an over-rated, overworked, poorly written, irrelevant bit of fiction which you and others think is real.
No one here (that I'm aware of) hates you personally.

If anything Egor, you are a shining example of the hatred and self loathing among the religious which is perpetuated throughout the world by religion. You and people like you, are the reason many come to recognize their atheism. It is possible you have done more to usher in the en masse flight toward atheism, than you will ever know.

So, no.
No one here hates you. Many just feel sad that someone in the community they are a part of, remains in the clutches of something they know how hard it is to break free from. People don't like seeing others spiral down numerous times... it's possibly even more difficult when it looks like it could be familiar.

But don't worry Egor, I think you'll be ok. Shy

I don't hate him either.

I feel sorry for him.

He's just a brainwashed religious bigot.

And I don't like it that he upsets people.

And I'm glad I don't live next door to him.

And it's a shame that he's reproduced. Hopefully weirdo grandad lives a long way from the kids.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2013, 04:22 PM
(25-04-2013 03:11 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 01:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Not an actual quote, sort of adapted from a part of his meditations, losely.

It's a paraphrase but the sentiment is there and thats really all I wanted to convey.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-04-2013, 04:24 PM

(25-04-2013 12:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ed...

We're gonna die, and it's OK. Nothing bad will happen. We'll go be flowers or something (well, our atoms).

God, your God... KC's God... neither of them are in any way shape or form people I'd want to spend eternity with. They're sadist Gods, vain, only care about worship of themselves, kill people for insulting them. That is not the action of a loving God.

A loving God would emphasize freedom, love, happiness. He would *help* his followers, not *hinder* those who chose not to follow. He would be completely chilled about whether or not you believed in him. If he did for whatever reason introduce death into his world it would be a happy death. No fear. If he wanted a heaven it would be straightforward, no egomania. And he would never consider torturing someone for eternity for committing some imagined slight to his person.

At one time, you believed in such a God, a noble God, a worthy God. That is the kind of God I could worship, if I thought that such a God existed. Unfortunately I don't. But an evil God... if such a God existed the only response, regardless of personal risk, is rejection.

What better reason could there be to send someone to hell, God that is, than for his creature to say: "You weren't good enough, you didn't give me enough, and here's a bunch of blaspemous insults to help make my point."

Reject God, Reject Christ, that's your choice, but don't gripe when He casts you out in the end.
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2013, 04:27 PM

(25-04-2013 01:53 PM)kim Wrote:  So, no.
No one here hates you.

Are you insane?

...and they call me delusional. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2013, 04:30 PM
(25-04-2013 04:24 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(25-04-2013 12:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ed...

We're gonna die, and it's OK. Nothing bad will happen. We'll go be flowers or something (well, our atoms).

God, your God... KC's God... neither of them are in any way shape or form people I'd want to spend eternity with. They're sadist Gods, vain, only care about worship of themselves, kill people for insulting them. That is not the action of a loving God.

A loving God would emphasize freedom, love, happiness. He would *help* his followers, not *hinder* those who chose not to follow. He would be completely chilled about whether or not you believed in him. If he did for whatever reason introduce death into his world it would be a happy death. No fear. If he wanted a heaven it would be straightforward, no egomania. And he would never consider torturing someone for eternity for committing some imagined slight to his person.

At one time, you believed in such a God, a noble God, a worthy God. That is the kind of God I could worship, if I thought that such a God existed. Unfortunately I don't. But an evil God... if such a God existed the only response, regardless of personal risk, is rejection.

What better reason could there be to send someone to hell, God that is, than for his creature to say: "You weren't good enough, you didn't give me enough, and here's a bunch of blaspemous insults to help make my point."

Reject God, Reject Christ, that's your choice, but don't gripe when He casts you out in the end.

Whoa now just a second there!

Let me burn for eternity. Let hitler sodomise me with a pineapple every night. Even go as far as to "cast me out". But never.

NEVER.

EVER

...try to take away my right to gripe.

ever.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post