The Demise of Rush Limbaugh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
The Demise of Rush Limbaugh?

This is inevitable. In order to maintain a top radio show, you have to continually draw new audience members in from the younger generations as the older one move onto other forms of entertainment.

The problem here is, Limbaugh's radio audience has always been Baby Boomers and Gen Xers, who carried him through his heyday during the conservative surge of the 1990s and early 2000s. Additionally, Limbaugh's audience has always been AM radio listeners who have never had an interest in Internet radio or podcasts. I know Limbaugh runs his program in podcast format and Internet streaming but I highly doubt he's carried high ratings here.

Now cut to 2013. Gen Xers are becoming increasingly disinterested in the conservative movement and the Conservative Baby Boomers are literally dying out, diminishing the audience for Limbaugh and Hannity, etc. Add to that Gen Y and Millennials don't give a shit about Limbaugh, and he has an audience growing smaller and smaller every day with no prospects of reversing this. And also radio is shifting over to the Internet and satellite subscription services - at least good radio is - because the audience can get more of the shows they want when they want them, no commercial breaks and they don't have the FCC's politeness police breathing down their necks (yet).

This makes Limbaugh, Hannity, Ingraham, Medved, Savage, and their conservative ilk dinosaurs in a brave new world which can't support them. And it definitely can't support their asking salaries. Limbaugh once bragged in a Rolling Stone article about being paid $80 million a year plus a nine figure signing bonus for his current contract with Clear Channel. But he also got that much when he could pull 15 million listeners a week (he's not doing that now!). And his audience has become fickle with him. During his last controversy where he called Georgetown student Sandra Fluke a slut for demanding that Obamacare cover birth control, six major sponsors and a quarter of Limbaugh's audience threatened to walk away from the show, prompting Rush to apologize on air for the remark. Clearly Rush does not draw the number of WASP males required to support this kind of ideology he used to.

Now Cumulus Broadcasting is considering dropping both Rush and Hannity because they are receiving record low advertising revenues during these shows. I think it may be the beginning of the end for the AM conservative talk radio movement.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
RE: The Demise of Rush Limbaugh?
What a shame.
Dinosaurs and old fossils should be out on display for research purposes.

Actually, I have no idea who this guy is but if the TYT stats are valid, then it's a welcome shift in the zeitgeist.

Smile

Find all posts by this user
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: The Demise of Rush Limbaugh?
My first reaction: You mean he's still alive?

He was the man all the college lefties loved to hate (and actually listened to) back in the 1980s.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user