The Democratic Party has Descended into Civil War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 12:10 AM
RE: The Democratic Party has Descended into Civil War
Don't splinter your opposition. Bob Mugabe is very successful at doing exactly that, and look how long he's been in power. Since 1980. You want president-for-life Trump? Let in-fighting lay waste to your only credible opposition.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-02-2017, 12:14 AM
(26-02-2017 01:02 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  The internet has been in a fury since Perez won the spot with 235 DNC votes to Ellison's 200. I've mostly been following public opinion on the matter through r/politics and r/Political_Revolution, and public opinion could not be more divided. [...]

Slight correction... the only people "in a fury" are American citizens. There's actually a whole other world out there beyond the CONUS borders. And most of us don't give a flying fuck about the pathetic state of US politics and their Bozo the Clown leader.

(With apologies to Bozo.)

[Image: c6192966ab17094271248a04e2d651da.jpg]

No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm a progressive- very progressive. But I also have to be a realist, as much as I'd love to be a dreamer. There's too much on the line to throw all my hope in pulling the center back to the left again in one big step. I don't know how I feel about either DNC chair candidate. I suppose I don't really care either way.

I'll support the Dems because I don't see a better choice for actually gaining ground or even just preventing further loss of ground. I think that another party- of which we already have a couple- would take decades to actually be a real contender. In the mean time, it will continue to split support among the left. And the republicans have a long-standing strength when there's low turnout. And any split will only contribute further to that.

As far as party problems- there are no doubt a lot of them in all political parties. Any new party started today will be the same, especially if it lasts. Pragmatically, parties need allies to gain and maintain power. They need power to affect change. To gain those allies, they need to make bargains- sometimes those bargains don't align wholly with the party's needs. Sometimes the party's needs don't align wholly with the party voters. It's all super fucked and messy. Of course that doesn't mean we don't try to make a batter party. But realistically, I don't see a better immediate solution than to continue to push for progress bit by bit. Because it works in the long run, as long as we don't give up the fight.

But seriously, Dems need to stop letting the right so easily set the narrative in every damn situation. The Right is so good at getting their soundbites out. Even when it's obvious that's what they're doing, they still win. And Dems rely always on people being able to use reason and apply facts to see through it. But most people clearly don't care enough for that.

Anyway, I do have a question for you and anyone else who wants to answer- what does it mean to you to be a progressive?
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
27-02-2017, 09:05 AM
(27-02-2017 09:01 AM)Emma Wrote:  what does it mean to you to be a progressive?

I lubricate my knothole so it doesn't hurt so much when I get screwed by the Man.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-02-2017, 09:12 AM
(27-02-2017 09:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 09:01 AM)Emma Wrote:  what does it mean to you to be a progressive?

I lubricate my knothole so it doesn't hurt so much when I get screwed by the Man.

That's... enlightening. Blink

I suppose it's better to be ready for it than to not see it coming.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
27-02-2017, 10:14 AM
(26-02-2017 03:06 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Most of the republican voters I've met are thick as bricks, and I just don't know how to get though to people so set in their ways.

This kind of thinking is a large part of the problem. I personally know several conservatives who are very intelligent -- they just happen to disagree with me on some issues. I also know many conservatives who feel exactly the same way about Democrats as what you state above -- that we are stupid and/or set in our ways.

In my view, a unified Democratic party (or any party) is far less important than a general population that is less polarized about these things. Democrats and Republicans both need to start working together for the common good. Neither party is right about everything -- and they aren't as different from each other as they would have you believe.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
27-02-2017, 10:42 AM
(27-02-2017 10:14 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 03:06 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Most of the republican voters I've met are thick as bricks, and I just don't know how to get though to people so set in their ways.

This kind of thinking is a large part of the problem. I personally know several conservatives who are very intelligent -- they just happen to disagree with me on some issues. I also know many conservatives who feel exactly the same way about Democrats as what you state above -- that we are stupid and/or set in our ways.

In my view, a unified Democratic party (or any party) is far less important than a general population that is less polarized about these things. Democrats and Republicans both need to start working together for the common good. Neither party is right about everything -- and they aren't as different from each other as they would have you believe.

This is the problem a wedge has divided the country city verses rural, if you look at election results that way you see it much more clearly.

As someone who used to live in a huge city and moved to a more or less rural area, I can tell you their issues are the same. They just been repeatedly told they're different that they now are entrenched by this division.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-02-2017, 12:19 PM
(27-02-2017 10:42 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 10:14 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This kind of thinking is a large part of the problem. I personally know several conservatives who are very intelligent -- they just happen to disagree with me on some issues. I also know many conservatives who feel exactly the same way about Democrats as what you state above -- that we are stupid and/or set in our ways.

This is the problem a wedge has divided the country city verses rural, if you look at election results that way you see it much more clearly.

As someone who used to live in a huge city and moved to a more or less rural area, I can tell you their issues are the same. They just been repeatedly told they're different that they now are entrenched by this division.

This is very reminiscent of an excellent Cracked article: 6 Reasons for Trump's Rise No One Talks About; it's basically all about the urban/rural divide and exactly what you said.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
27-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I just wanna see both parties crash, burn, die, get eaten by zombies, get shit out by said zombies, then get rolled up by dung beetles and have dung beetle eggs laid in them.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-02-2017, 12:56 PM
(27-02-2017 12:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I just wanna see both parties crash, burn, die, get eaten by zombies, get shit out by said zombies, then get rolled up by dung beetles and have dung beetle eggs laid in them.

Be careful what you wish for. You might just be worse off than you are now after the dung beetle eggs hatch.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post