The Democratic Party has Descended into Civil War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 06:35 AM
RE: The Democratic Party has Descended into Civil War
(27-02-2017 10:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Absolutely zero chance the Democratic party will split. Period. Fact.

Dont be so sure.

Signed

The Whigs.

Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2017, 08:01 AM
(26-02-2017 10:45 PM)kim Wrote:  I guess Keith Ellison is out.
It's only my beloved country - my constitution. There seems to be so few who can protect it, now.
So little reason for me to stick around.

I am disappoint. Undecided
Ellison was offered, and accepted, the role of deputy party chair, so he's hardly "out". It is still an open question whether Perez will stab him in the back or deniably marginalize him but I think that offer was a tacit admission that progressives need a plausible voice at the table. Also, in other circumstances even Perez would be a far better chair than Wasserman-Schultz ever was on a good day.

Also as has been pointed out, during the primaries, Sanders had the support of less than 40 delegates, Ellison had the support of 200. That is huge progress.

My issue with it isn't so much that progressives are headed in the wrong direction as that they are headed in the right direction too slowly.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
12-03-2017, 08:05 AM
(12-03-2017 06:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 10:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Absolutely zero chance the Democratic party will split. Period. Fact.

Dont be so sure.

Signed

The Whigs.

Tongue
Well the more accurate view is that due to (1) the way politics is structured in America, (2) Duverger's Law states that there will NEVER be a viable third party in American politics at the national level. Therefore (3) the only way for there to be a "new" party is for it to replace one of the existing ones. The Whigs being a case in point.

Or to be replaced by a new one in all but name.

But we don't have the luxury of internecine warfare right now. We have a threat to address as best we can with the tools at hand.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post