The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-07-2012, 08:47 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
I had it drilled into my head that asking for help shows weakness...but I had to. We can learn some coping techniques but sometimes we need help...please either try again with your doc, or find another.

And realize that if you go the meds route, it can take some time for them to work and not every med works for every one. It took a few tries to find the right one for me.

And I have found that nurses are often great advocates...and it might be easier for you to spill to a nurse than a doctor.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-07-2012, 08:50 PM
(18-07-2012 08:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And I have found that nurses are often great advocates...and it might be easier for you to spill to a nurse than a doctor.
Oh yes...true...tell the nurse when it* checks you in why you are there. It* will help communicate that info to the doctor so it's easier for you.

*One may blame Chas for using the impersonal pronoun. It has said it's the way to go when one is not specifying a specific gender.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-07-2012, 09:02 PM
(18-07-2012 07:10 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I'm planning on going to the doctor. I'm just too embarrassed to say I want to commit suicide. Every time I've gone there they prescribe some medicine and it doesn't work and I'm just alone. I love hearing Erxo receiving great help I just don't receive much the same with these "professionals"
What it sounds like you are looking for and what Erxomai is describing is called talk therapy. It's the kind of doctor I see too, and it was the only one (I tried some others before too, didn't like the meds, etc) that actually worked and has been working for years for me (mild depression- which means my low times are far spaced out) and anxiety).

I'm going to do some research over the next few days to see what I can find in your city Smile
18-07-2012, 09:59 PM
i'm not currently battling anything serious, but i do have general anxiety disorder and OCD, and i have bouts of depression fairly regularly that last a month or two. my OCD is something i struggle with on a daily basis, but it's not particularly debilitating as compared to some others.
18-07-2012, 10:52 PM
As far as I can see, a lot of people here have some serious issues. What you people have in common is the fact that you are all atheists. Don't you see, you've forgotten God and now that hole in your heart is being filled with darkness.

Return to God, Jesus will help you...

Smile

There, if this doesn't make you smile, then damn.

The more I read the advices here the more I realise how vitally important it is to not stay home in the moments like this. Go out, anywhere, just sit in front of your house, walk around the block, go jog, GET A DOG, something-anything, just as long as you are outside of the 4 walls. By being outside you get multiple benefits like more oxygen, a healthy exercise, more bright colours, more people around you, some new, strange situations... It makes you think about simple things like crossing the street, or what shirt did the guy next door wear, or how that woman can't drive, or how cool that dog is... Just enough to start forgetting about the dark shadow.

Now the problem here is that you need to get up and start walking. If you think about it, it's not really that hard. Well, for you it is hard, but in reality it is quite simple. So, you can either pretend that everything is normal or you can force your self to do it, just like everything is normal. Also, you can always ask yourself who is stronger, you or the chemistry in your brain? The chemistry can be a fucked up thing to fight, but I bet you whatever you want that you are stronger than any chemistry, you just need to fight it. Make it a challenge for yourself, like a competition. Try to beat yourself. Be better and stronger.

My God, I love bullshitting early in the morning. Sorry about that.

Big Grin

And always remember, Hulk is strongest there is! Go, get angry, become green... SMASH!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
18-07-2012, 11:01 PM
(18-07-2012 09:02 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(18-07-2012 07:10 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I'm planning on going to the doctor. I'm just too embarrassed to say I want to commit suicide. Every time I've gone there they prescribe some medicine and it doesn't work and I'm just alone. I love hearing Erxo receiving great help I just don't receive much the same with these "professionals"
What it sounds like you are looking for and what Erxomai is describing is called talk therapy. It's the kind of doctor I see too, and it was the only one (I tried some others before too, didn't like the meds, etc) that actually worked and has been working for years for me (mild depression- which means my low times are far spaced out) and anxiety).

I'm going to do some research over the next few days to see what I can find in your city Smile

Google The Therapist Project. Dr. Darrell Ray is putting together a website that screens therapists to make sure they do not practice based on any superstitious beliefs, ie. Christian counseling or New Age woo.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-07-2012, 01:57 AM
actually Filox, you are not just shitting around, like your post, it's cool

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
19-07-2012, 02:06 AM
(19-07-2012 01:57 AM)Leela Wrote:  actually Filox, you are not just shitting around, like your post, it's cool

When you learn to read between the lines, I can sound good. But if you read the wrong lines...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
19-07-2012, 02:29 AM
(19-07-2012 02:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(19-07-2012 01:57 AM)Leela Wrote:  actually Filox, you are not just shitting around, like your post, it's cool

When you learn to read between the lines, I can sound good. But if you read the wrong lines...

Big Grin
I pick
and chose
the lines
I read
carefully
Angel

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
19-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Every time I believe I am getting better it brings me back down. As if I'm in an ocean with no land to reach and something continually drags me underwater. I don't know how long I can stand this before I let go. It drives any person insane and while you do try to give me answers I'm not sure if Ill ever follow through like a mirage in a desert it seems like a false hope and promise. I literally am going insane.

Emotions constantly going up and down. I feel sick and terrible. I'm exhausted. I just don't know what to do.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post