The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(06-08-2012 09:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 06:02 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Here's a song that helps me when I'm depressed.

Cool. Thanks. Thumbsup

Another good version:

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
(06-08-2012 09:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 06:02 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Here's a song that helps me when I'm depressed.

Cool. Thanks. Thumbsup

I really wanted to post the version of this song from the "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" album by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (same album as the "Keep on the Sunny Side" that I posted above) but was surprised that I could not find it on YouTube. Thanks for posting this one.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
(07-08-2012 06:11 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(06-08-2012 09:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Cool. Thanks. Thumbsup

I really wanted to post the version of this song from the "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" album by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (same album as the "Keep on the Sunny Side" that I posted above) but was surprised that I could not find it on YouTube. Thanks for posting this one.

Well here they are performing it as old men a couple of years ago (which really is much more interesting than a youngun's take). ... And if you hang around you get to see how old fucks take a load off Fannie.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
31-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I have struggled from depression and anxiety since I was a little girl. Even now I am finding it hard to cope with it at times. I feel that it's even worse since I went to therapy I have seemed to have carried some kind of "stigma".
31-08-2012, 09:51 AM
(31-08-2012 09:33 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I have struggled from depression and anxiety since I was a little girl. Even now I am finding it hard to cope with it at times. I feel that it's even worse since I went to therapy I have seemed to have carried some kind of "stigma".

Hey Trace,
Anxiety really sucks.
Can you explain more about the stigma you feel you're carrying?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Trace, are you saying that you have had problems because you sought help? If that's case, ignorant people are doing you a huge disservice.

Please let us know a little more so we can maybe help...we can at least offer support.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
01-10-2012, 07:11 AM
So I'm just assuming this is the thread where I can slip this in quickly. I don't have a lot of time to elaborate and I'm sortov at school.

My mom has been dealing with depression and anxiety lately. I didn't know it was that bad until she entered my room last night, in tears, giving me all of the pairs of scissors we have in the house. She's been obsessive compulsively cutting her hair off in the bathroom. She is almost bald now. Her confidence is so low and she is so distraught, a wig would help her boost her confidence temporarily until her hair can grow out. She tells me if she doesn't find something to help her, she'll kill herself, and that scares me. I told her that if it gets to the point where she finds herself tweezing or razoring off what hair she has left, she needs to tell me. But I'll be watching her. I want her to be okay.
01-10-2012, 07:34 AM
(01-10-2012 07:11 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So I'm just assuming this is the thread where I can slip this in quickly. I don't have a lot of time to elaborate and I'm sortov at school.

My mom has been dealing with depression and anxiety lately. I didn't know it was that bad until she entered my room last night, in tears, giving me all of the pairs of scissors we have in the house. She's been obsessive compulsively cutting her hair off in the bathroom. She is almost bald now. Her confidence is so low and she is so distraught, a wig would help her boost her confidence temporarily until her hair can grow out. She tells me if she doesn't find something to help her, she'll kill herself, and that scares me. I told her that if it gets to the point where she finds herself tweezing or razoring off what hair she has left, she needs to tell me. But I'll be watching her. I want her to be okay.

Ferdy,
She needs to see a professional. There are effective treatments for OCD and they can try some different things. It's about brain chemistry. It's fixable, many times, at least somewhat. The process of fixing is not simple, or achieved at the first attempt. At least get her started. And BTW, her coming into your room like that, is, at your age, abusive in a way. YOU also will have issues surrounding her issues. So don't underestimate all this. It's a complex package. You BOTH need to go talk to someone.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
(01-10-2012 07:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 07:11 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  So I'm just assuming this is the thread where I can slip this in quickly. I don't have a lot of time to elaborate and I'm sortov at school.

Ferdy,
She needs to see a professional. There are effective treatments for OCD and they can try some different things. It's about brain chemistry. It's fixable, many times, at least somewhat. The process of fixing is not simple, or achieved at the first attempt. At least get her started. And BTW, her coming into your room like that, is, at your age, abusive in a way. YOU also will have issues surrounding her issues. So don't underestimate all this. It's a complex package. You BOTH need to go talk to someone.

Ferdy, for once Bucky is right.
No wait, that didn't come out right. Bucky is always right.
Anyway, Depression/OCD is not something that anyone can deal with alone, and certainly you can't deal with your mom's issues, not because you're not incredibly awesome, but just because she's in a state where she is going to need help managing her brain chemistry, probably with meds, definitely with therapy. You won't be able to drag her to a doctor, but hopefully you can gently reason with her to make an appointment to see her doc and he/she can recommend further treatment.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
That was a loud call for help!!!

She has no place to turn but her kid - very problematic.

Take the advice above -and do drag her to get help if you have to!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post