The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-10-2012, 12:35 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(18-10-2012 12:19 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Going through a Tourettes cycle again.

Anxiety is through the roof. Sitting at my computer, doing fuck-all. I want it to end - no end in fucking sight. Clunky and slow, my mind is all over the place - can't concentrate, can't even stand to talk to people; all that will come out are swear words, anyway.

And I had things to do today, too.

I hate this.

Tourette's no translate into typing ? I find I swear a lot more on the forum these days Tongue In real life I'm ultra polite. Oh wait I spotted a 'fucking' in your post. Definitely Tourette's Wink

You know wikipedia has an article on anxiety. I was kinda... on a downhill patch a while back and I read that... and I kinda realised "hey, it's not just me that's weird, a lot of people have this problem, and they can do stuff about it".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2012, 12:49 PM
(18-10-2012 12:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  Tourette's no translate into typing ? I find I swear a lot more on the forum these days Tongue In real life I'm ultra polite. Oh wait I spotted a 'fucking' in your post. Definitely Tourette's Wink

You know wikipedia has an article on anxiety. I was kinda... on a downhill patch a while back and I read that... and I kinda realised "hey, it's not just me that's weird, a lot of people have this problem, and they can do stuff about it".

I don't have the verbal tics. Big Grin The swearing is because I know when I'm not in a cycle, I can do things. I can be okay with myself. Verbal tics are caused mostly by sensory intake, and not at all about what the person is feeling.

Sucks being around people in any case.

On top of that, there isn't a trigger today. The cycle just happened. I hate these days where it ninja's my brain and doesn't give an inch.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
18-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Seems like it's time for me to get an eddication Smile I thought Tourette's *was* the verbal tic. Sorry about the not being able to do stuff - that sucks...
22-10-2012, 10:08 PM
This is what it's like:

[Image: 117093555-pP3rO.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 7 users Like Erxomai's post
23-10-2012, 08:59 PM
(22-10-2012 10:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This is what it's like:

Yes. I know people who say, "You don't do enough/you're not busy enough, so you have too much time to worry about things all the time." As if life will suddenly become a bed of roses if only I became a too-busy person with too many friends to keep track of ... like the person who said the above to me. There's a grain of truth to it, but it downplays the seriousness of the disorders.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
29-10-2012, 05:37 AM
When I was a kid and even into my teens; I suffered from extreme anxiety. I'd often have panic attacks due to my irrational and out-of-control fears. I remember being so overcome with fear on some occasions (in restaurants, at school, etc.) that I could think of nothing else to do but jump from my seat in sheer panic and start crying an hyperventilating. For those who haven't experienced a panic attack, imagine (if you can) the feeling of pure, relentless and inescapable dread descending upon you. You don't know what is wrong; in fact, EVERYTHING is wrong. Everything is bad, evil, horrible and terrifying. Most normal fears can be shrugged off or suffered through, but not the fear experienced during a panic attack. It is a different kind of fear. A fear that comes rom within the faulty wiring of the brain itself. It unfolds in a surge of terror that cannot be escaped, and quickly reaches a precipice before slowly (very slowly) fading away again.

I remember one such attack that was inflicted upon me in part by religion. I was a true believer in God and angels and demons for the entirety of my childhood. One night while in the shower, for whatever reason, the thought of demonic possession came across my mind. Within seconds, I had slipped into panic-mode. I hadn't even finished in the shower, but I shut off the water, got out, and made my way to the living room where I sat trembling and hyperventilating for several minutes. It took over an hour for the fear to finally subside.

On another occasion, several years earlier, I was at bay-side restaurant with my family in Baltimore, Maryland. I had seen the movie "The Rock" a few days before, and the storyline involving a nuclear weapon had more of an impression on me than I had realized. The intake of food (the prospect of nausea had long been a trigger for me) coupled with the fact that we were in a city (obvious targets for anyone wielding a nuclear weapon) set my fear on a slow boil which eventually erupted into sheer panic. Much to everyone's dismay, I had a panic attack right there in the restaurant and had to be taken outside by my dad.

Nowadays, I seem to have completely grown out of it. The vast majority of my little disorders faded away as I traversed the landscape of adolescence. But even now, on the rarest of occasions when circumstances are just right (when all the right stars have aligned, so to speak) I may see or hear or think of something that will trigger a sense of fear. I no longer go into outright panic - as an adult, I can control myself - but there is a sense of fear that simmers underneath the surface. It bubbles and steams for just as long as the panic attacks of old, but so far, it's never boiled over. This happens so rarely that I literally cannot remember the last time it occurred.

But, with that said, it's why I'm here typing this. As a distraction. Why it tried to rear its ugly head, I don't know. But I remembered that the forum has a Depression/Anxiety thread, and writing is an effective way to keep my mind focused on something else.

So...there's that.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
29-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Could it be that professing atheism is a symptom of depression? Or a cause of depression?
---------------------------------
You cannot direct the wind but you can adjust your sail.
http://www.atheistsrfun.com/
29-10-2012, 07:14 AM
(29-10-2012 07:03 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  Could it be that professing atheism is a symptom of depression? Or a cause of depression?

Could it be that professing theism is a symptom of obtuseness?

What we're seeing here is a prime example of the world-renowned Christian compassion.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
29-10-2012, 07:33 AM
(29-10-2012 07:03 AM)Theist_Typing Wrote:  Could it be that professing atheism is a symptom of depression? Or a cause of depression?

... Blink

I call troll. I am prepared to believe that you really are an idiot if you insist, but I think you're just trying to cause shit. Go find another thread. This is a serious one.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
29-10-2012, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 11:56 AM by GirlyMan.)

Could it be that relying on some unimaginable, let alone tenable, bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity to avoid considering and appreciating the magnificence and glory of one's own temporariness is a sign of a weak mind? ... Magic 8 ball says ... Yes

Considering, appreciating, and finally fully embracing the beauty of one's own impermanence is an arduous task not meant for weak minds. I do pity that you will never experience a moment of clarity so long as you hold onto the idea you can somehow survive yourself.

You go away now. This is not a thread for weak minds.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post