The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2013, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 09:43 AM by fruit.)
Re: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
I have dealt with depression since I was about 6. I'm 22 now. My mom believed demons caused mental illness, so I got prayed for at the altar. I grew up with and abusive mother and she denies doing anything.

I also have severe anxiety, to the point I grit my teeth and don't realize it until someone asks why I'm angry. Does anybody else with severe anxiety have the muscle pain? Like you feel as I if you've been beaten up because everything hurts?

I'm very hesitant to take medicine. I'm allergic to almost everything or it doesn't work on me. The most I've taken is prescription sleep pills for insomnia and they just made me sick.

These two things suck a lot and I want them gone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(24-03-2013 09:34 AM)fruit Wrote:  I have dealt with depression since I was about 6. I'm 22 now. My mom believed demons caused mental illness, so I got prayed for at the altar. I grew up with and abusive mother and she denies doing anything.

I also have severe anxiety, to the point I grit my teeth and don't realize it until someone asks why I'm angry. Does anybody else with severe anxiety have the muscle pain? Like you feel as I if you've been beaten up because everything hurts?

I'm very hesitant to take medicine. I'm allergic to almost everything or it doesn't work on me. The most I've taken is prescription sleep pills for insomnia and they just made me sick.

Have you ever tried therapy? Actually, have you been diagnosed by a professional or is it a self-diagnosis ('cause those can be as bad and exacerbate the problem). I'm not a fan of pills at all (or therapy for that matter, but that's just me), but there are other treatments, too. Had a friend (not too sure what her specific problem was, I think some sort of eating disorder) whose therapist was into behaviour therapy and she swore by it. You should look into it, at least be sure what you're dealing with and then decide how to proceed. If nothing else, therapy might help deal with the trauma of growing up in an abusive household.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
24-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Re: RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(24-03-2013 10:05 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 09:34 AM)fruit Wrote:  I have dealt with depression since I was about 6. I'm 22 now. My mom believed demons caused mental illness, so I got prayed for at the altar. I grew up with and abusive mother and she denies doing anything.

Have you ever tried therapy? Actually, have you been diagnosed by a professional or is it a self-diagnosis ('cause those can be as bad and exacerbate the problem). I'm not a fan of pills at all (or therapy for that matter, but that's just me), but there are other treatments, too. Had a friend (not too sure what her specific problem was, I think some sort of eating disorder) whose therapist was into behaviour therapy and she swore by it. You should look into it, at least be sure what you're dealing with and then decide how to proceed. If nothing else, therapy might help deal with the trauma of growing up in an abusive household.

Yes, they're diagnosed. And I'm currently doing online based therapy. They're trained professionals and it's free, they're just based in Singapore, so my therapy times are late!

It seems to be helping a bit but I seem to cycle. I'll be really happy and bursting with energy and I'll do everything. You can't wipe the smile off my face. I'm usually like this for roughly a week and then I feel myself crashing and becoming depressed again. The depression lasts around two to three weeks. Then I'm back to being happy.

It really messes with me. The really happy is so good, you feel well.
24-03-2013, 10:35 AM
(24-03-2013 10:22 AM)fruit Wrote:  They're trained professionals and it's free, they're just based in Singapore, so my therapy times are late!

Wait! Are you one of DLJ's cases? Blink

(sorry, a bit of an inside joke - and I'm being generous calling it a joke. We have a member who lives in Singapore... and has been known to lend a helping hand... or ear... or other body parts Tongue )

Quote:It seems to be helping a bit but I seem to cycle. I'll be really happy and bursting with energy and I'll do everything. You can't wipe the smile off my face. I'm usually like this for roughly a week and then I feel myself crashing and becoming depressed again. The depression lasts around two to three weeks. Then I'm back to being happy.

Could it be some sort of cyclothymia? (I thought I might have this, but my high periods aren't really high, it's more that the low ones are pretty low. And can last for quite some time.)

Well, I guess I can't give you better advice than your therapists, but keeping busy has always helped me, be it work, hobby, anything to keep your mind occupied. And sometimes just waiting the really low periods out, like a bed weather spell Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
24-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Re: RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(24-03-2013 10:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 10:22 AM)fruit Wrote:  They're trained professionals and it's free, they're just based in Singapore, so my therapy times are late!

Wait! Are you one of DLJ's cases? Blink

(sorry, a bit of an inside joke - and I'm being generous calling it a joke. We have a member who lives in Singapore... and has been known to lend a helping hand... or ear... or other body parts Tongue )

Quote:It seems to be helping a bit but I seem to cycle. I'll be really happy and bursting with energy and I'll do everything. You can't wipe the smile off my face. I'm usually like this for roughly a week and then I feel myself crashing and becoming depressed again. The depression lasts around two to three weeks. Then I'm back to being happy.

Could it be some sort of cyclothymia? (I thought I might have this, but my high periods aren't really high, it's more that the low ones are pretty low. And can last for quite some time.)

Well, I guess I can't give you better advice than your therapists, but keeping busy has always helped me, be it work, hobby, anything to keep your mind occupied. And sometimes just waiting the really low periods out, like a bed weather spell Smile

Maybe lol. Does he work on egen.com?

I had never even thought about something related to bi polar. My high periods are definitely high. When I crash it's like time itself stopped sometimes. Like all the color drained out if the world. It's not always that bad. It depends on the high periods. :-(

Thank you for your advice. :-)
24-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I have anxiety, and it is very hard to deal with sometimes. I take Zoloft 100mg. Thank you Zoloft science Gods lol.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
I think I'm entering my first depression since I left theism. I wonder if I'll handle it differently.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
(06-04-2013 08:28 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I think I'm entering my first depression since I left theism. I wonder if I'll handle it differently.

Good luck, we're all counting on you. Hug

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-04-2013, 11:04 PM
(06-04-2013 08:28 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I think I'm entering my first depression since I left theism. I wonder if I'll handle it differently.

Sad Come here for help if you need to. Hopefully the difference is you seek real solutions and help for it.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
06-04-2013, 11:59 PM
(06-04-2013 11:04 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  

Sad Come here for help if you need to. Hopefully the difference is you seek real solutions and help for it.

And whatever you do, don't use any of my coping mechanisms!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post