The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-12-2015, 01:32 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through Banjo. If I were in your position I'd probably would've offed myself long ago...life is precious to me but so is being able to enjoy it. You are a very strong person for making this far. My heart breaks for you and your friend. Life is beautiful but terribly cruel. Best wishes and I hope you feel better!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 04:52 PM
I've suffered from depression ever since I was a kid, due to genetics and a dysfunctional household. It was very bad toward the time I had decided to leave my religious beliefs, calmed down for a bit, and then came back full swing after my mother died in 2014. I had went to a therapist again and she helped me to discover that my severe depression at that time had been triggered by me being severed from a severely enmeshed relationship.

I also have PMDD, but it's been under control for some months now. For now.
25-01-2016, 05:06 PM
(25-01-2016 04:52 PM)caadam Wrote:  I've suffered from depression ever since I was a kid, due to genetics and a dysfunctional household. It was very bad toward the time I had decided to leave my religious beliefs, calmed down for a bit, and then came back full swing after my mother died in 2014. I had went to a therapist again and she helped me to discover that my severe depression at that time had been triggered by me being severed from a severely enmeshed relationship.

You are not alone. There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. Therapy works for my wife while pharmaceuticals work for me (seroquel, trazadone, and wellbutrin). Therapy feels too intimate to me. I can omphaloskepsis all by myself.

"No reason to get excited, "
The thief – he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now
The hour's getting late."

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-01-2016, 05:32 PM
(25-01-2016 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 04:52 PM)caadam Wrote:  I've suffered from depression ever since I was a kid, due to genetics and a dysfunctional household. It was very bad toward the time I had decided to leave my religious beliefs, calmed down for a bit, and then came back full swing after my mother died in 2014. I had went to a therapist again and she helped me to discover that my severe depression at that time had been triggered by me being severed from a severely enmeshed relationship.

You are not alone. There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. Therapy works for my wife while pharmaceuticals work for me (seroquel, trazadone, and wellbutrin). Therapy feels too intimate to me. I can omphaloskepsis all by myself.

And this is not our fate

It certainly felt that way when I was still a Christian, and no matter how hard I prayed, or where I believed my depression was coming from (was it just my own fault, was it god testing me, or was it the devil tempting me?). I also had religious friends who insisted that it was spiritual problem, that I didn't need to see a therapist or doctor - that modern medicine would "hide" the problem. Oh, and to pray more, because I guess I wasn't? Malarkey.
25-01-2016, 05:38 PM
(25-01-2016 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You are not alone. There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke. Therapy works for my wife while pharmaceuticals work for me (seroquel, trazadone, and wellbutrin). Therapy feels too intimate to me. I can omphaloskepsis all by myself.

And this is not our fate

I like therapy myself. I've had a great therapist for the past five months now. Soft spoken, compassionate, and super patient lol. She's really helped me to get through all the things I've been dealing with the past two years.
[+] 1 user Likes caadam's post
22-03-2016, 02:51 AM
It's beginning to bother me that I'm not being able to feel happy when I think I should be. I have a great new job, by any standards. We don't punch a clock, I can wear anything I want to work, I can work overtime if I want or need some extra money but not expected to, there's no pressure, not overworked, the work is fairly easy, I’m doing really well or so my boss tells me, things are new but not too challenging that I feel stressed, the people are nice, friendly, helpful and yet I can't seem to feel happy about my new job. I feel like a foreigner in a strange country, like I don’t belong there, like I’m trespassing.

In fact I'm unhappy that I can't feel happy about it. I feel like I’m lying when I tell someone how great my job is. I kind of feel anxiety or dread, like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. My insurance doesn’t kick in until May which is not good because I think I need to see my therapist about this now.

After being out of work for so long I knew the stress wouldn’t just be gone overnight but I thought it would bleed off faster. I’m not sleeping well (its 3:41am, I woke at 2:43am and 2:30am last night) at first I felt I wanted to cry (release some of the stress) but I just couldn't and now I’m crying myself to sleep the last 2 nights. I feel pent up and unhappy. Blargh.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
22-03-2016, 05:16 AM
Have you tried exercising in the evenings? Tire yourself out?

New jobs are always like the first day of school was when I was a kid. Nervous, exciting, new routine. Starting a new job is one well documented trigger for depression/anxiety episodes. It sucks that your insurance won't kick in.

One suggestion is to get your network insurance info now, find a therapist and schedule an appointment for as soon as your benefits start.

Hope that helps!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-03-2016, 07:33 AM
(22-03-2016 02:51 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  It's beginning to bother me that I'm not being able to feel happy when I think I should be. I have a great new job, by any standards. We don't punch a clock, I can wear anything I want to work, I can work overtime if I want or need some extra money but not expected to, there's no pressure, not overworked, the work is fairly easy, I’m doing really well or so my boss tells me, things are new but not too challenging that I feel stressed, the people are nice, friendly, helpful and yet I can't seem to feel happy about my new job. I feel like a foreigner in a strange country, like I don’t belong there, like I’m trespassing.

In fact I'm unhappy that I can't feel happy about it. I feel like I’m lying when I tell someone how great my job is. I kind of feel anxiety or dread, like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. My insurance doesn’t kick in until May which is not good because I think I need to see my therapist about this now.

After being out of work for so long I knew the stress wouldn’t just be gone overnight but I thought it would bleed off faster. I’m not sleeping well (its 3:41am, I woke at 2:43am and 2:30am last night) at first I felt I wanted to cry (release some of the stress) but I just couldn't and now I’m crying myself to sleep the last 2 nights. I feel pent up and unhappy. Blargh.

I think sometimes the anxiety over starting something new--regardless of what it is, can cause a feeling of unhappiness or uneasiness, even in situations we think we should be happy about. I've felt kind of crazed, anxious, and unsure of things when I've first started a new job. I think we all have. There's so much to learn and so many new personalities to contend with. And I think it's normal to put extra pressure on yourself to do a good job in your new position. This will all level off, once you become more acclimated to everyone and everything and soon enough things will become old hat and you'll start feeling happy. I guess my point is, I wouldn't beat yourself up about this, I think it's normal and your body is just reacting to change. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
22-03-2016, 07:36 AM
(22-03-2016 02:51 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  It's beginning to bother me that I'm not being able to feel happy when I think I should be. I have a great new job, by any standards. We don't punch a clock, I can wear anything I want to work, I can work overtime if I want or need some extra money but not expected to, there's no pressure, not overworked, the work is fairly easy, I’m doing really well or so my boss tells me, things are new but not too challenging that I feel stressed, the people are nice, friendly, helpful and yet I can't seem to feel happy about my new job. I feel like a foreigner in a strange country, like I don’t belong there, like I’m trespassing.

I feel ya on the stress about insurance...so happy to find a job, but my benefits don't start until June! I'm happy about the job, but it's going to take several paychecks to make up for 10 weeks of unemployment! My point? None...I just feel for your anxiety...hang in there, friend. I hear it gets better!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Buspar?
Shaman conjured up Buspar for me. Anecdotal experiences?

#sigh