The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-03-2016, 07:56 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(29-03-2016 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Shaman conjured up Buspar for me. Anecdotal experiences?

No, but this sounds promising: "and so does not carry the risk of physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms for which those drug classes (Benzos & Barbituates) are known."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
[Image: depressed.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 10 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-04-2016, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2016 04:49 PM by Loom.)
I hate how experiencing one anxiety attack makes it easy to have another. A bit like the aftershocks after an earthquake.

Being home alone is so hard when you're having one. I've just had one now and am still on the verge of having another. I'm lying in bed wanting to get up and grab a few things, but if I get up it'll trigger the attacks.

I hate hate hate it. I don't cry over many things but having to go through these just...it's miserable. I'm tired of it.

I live at home primarily for financial reasons, but also because living alone will be a nightmare unless I somehow get over this. I want to be independent.

Fck anxiety.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
09-04-2016, 10:41 PM
(09-04-2016 04:46 PM)Loom Wrote:  I hate how experiencing one anxiety attack makes it easy to have another. A bit like the aftershocks after an earthquake.

Being home alone is so hard when you're having one. I've just had one now and am still on the verge of having another. I'm lying in bed wanting to get up and grab a few things, but if I get up it'll trigger the attacks.

I hate hate hate it. I don't cry over many things but having to go through these just...it's miserable. I'm tired of it.

I live at home primarily for financial reasons, but also because living alone will be a nightmare unless I somehow get over this. I want to be independent.

Fck anxiety.

Have you ever seen a psychologist about your anxiety attacks? There are medications and methods for reducing anxiety attacks. If you haven't seen a qualified psychologist about this it would be worth your while to pursue a solution.

I used to have anxiety attacks when I was in high school. It was a combination of being super shy, having family problems and just not knowing how to deal with my problems. It took several years but they finally went away.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-04-2016, 07:56 AM
(09-04-2016 10:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 04:46 PM)Loom Wrote:  I hate how experiencing one anxiety attack makes it easy to have another. A bit like the aftershocks after an earthquake.

Fck anxiety.

Have you ever seen a psychologist about your anxiety attacks? There are medications and methods for reducing anxiety attacks. If you haven't seen a qualified psychologist about this it would be worth your while to pursue a solution.

I used to have anxiety attacks when I was in high school. It was a combination of being super shy, having family problems and just not knowing how to deal with my problems. It took several years but they finally went away.

^This^

There are also things you can do like meditation, breathing exercises, yoga to help calm yourself--in addition to speaking with a psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety disorders. Next time you have an anxiety attack, notice your breathing and the physical changes in your body (tightening fists, clenching jaw etc.)--a physical response to what is going on internally. Learning how to control your breath and engage in relaxation techniques can really help bring the anxiety down to a more manageable level.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
10-04-2016, 09:57 AM

Fck anxiety.

I don't know your history so I'm not sure what to suggest.

So, first of all, VIBES! I didn't realize until I was 28 what I was going through was a mental condition. That other people felt what I was feeling, that while I was indeed different, I wasn't alone.

Depression and anxiety go hand in hand and one attack can lead to another. The chemical mixture of the brain gets out of balance and if untreated can get more out of balance. The classic snowball effect.

Is this an ongoing thing or a single incident? It sounds like you're familiar with them so I'll assume it's ongoing.

Have you tried therapy/counseling? Medications? Exercise? As Jennybee noted, yoga and meditation can help.

One thing that was very helpful for me was when I could tell myself that it was depression/anxiety, not whatever fear I was obsessing over. Once I rationalized that, I realized that as the day progressed, my brain was skipping around trying to find things to worry about. That was also a big step. It doesn't cure it, but it can help.

Good luck.

Oh, if there is an animal shelter or pet store near you, go play with puppies and kittens. Hard to stay depressed around baby animals.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-04-2016, 10:30 AM
(10-04-2016 07:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 10:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Have you ever seen a psychologist about your anxiety attacks? There are medications and methods for reducing anxiety attacks. If you haven't seen a qualified psychologist about this it would be worth your while to pursue a solution.

^This^

There are also things you can do like meditation, breathing exercises, yoga to help calm yourself--in addition to speaking with a psychiatrist who specializes in anxiety disorders. Next time you have an anxiety attack, notice your breathing and the physical changes in your body (tightening fists, clenching jaw etc.)--a physical response to what is going on internally. Learning how to control your breath and engage in relaxation techniques can really help bring the anxiety down to a more manageable level.

Yes, all good advice. I always want to be jittery active like a fight or flight thing happening so exercise really acerbates anxiety for me, but slow purposeful movement helps me a lot. It allows for movement which I'm desiring but also calms me. I'm sure Yoga or Thai chi would be good for this but I use dancing, performance art type of expression. As soon as I am able to get home I put on soothing music and just move to the music until I'm calm or tired. I focus on the individual muscles it takes to move my body and try to do as much slow motion movement as possible. Very calming, very relaxing. It seems to pull the anxiety right out of my body.

You could try to find something that works for you. Seeing a psychologist would help you and they'll have some ideas for distressing an episode. Also search the net for things to try.

I hope you find something that works for you.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
11-04-2016, 09:58 PM
I used to have anxiety attacks (last one in 2003, and a very bad one in 1995). One of the telltale signs was the sinuses swelling up, so I found that putting an ice pack or wet paper towel on My face, just below the eyes, helped to de-escalate things.

Aside from a 5-month course of Zoloft to relieve the stress that caused the '03 attack, mindful slow breathing is the one thing that made the biggest difference. I also saw a therapist in 2003, and just talking about why I was upset took a lot of the pressure off and helped break the cycle.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
11-04-2016, 11:27 PM
I'm getting my attacks back. Haven't had them this back in over a decade. Problem is, I'm now taking five meds now, and I don't want to add another. I thought they were going away, but they came back with a vengeance.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-04-2016, 05:14 AM
(11-04-2016 11:27 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm getting my attacks back. Haven't had them this back in over a decade. Problem is, I'm now taking five meds now, and I don't want to add another. I thought they were going away, but they came back with a vengeance.

I've noticed that mine seem worse when they hit by surprise and when it's been a while between attacks. It seems like I forget the coping and defense mechanisms and have to remember/relearn.

At least talk to a medical doctor or psychiatrist. It could be a medication interaction. Plus you want to stop them ASAP before they settle in.

Vibes.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post