The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-04-2016, 05:19 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(11-04-2016 09:58 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I used to have anxiety attacks (last one in 2003, and a very bad one in 1995). One of the telltale signs was the sinuses swelling up, so I found that putting an ice pack or wet paper towel on My face, just below the eyes, helped to de-escalate things.

Aside from a 5-month course of Zoloft to relieve the stress that caused the '03 attack, mindful slow breathing is the one thing that made the biggest difference. I also saw a therapist in 2003, and just talking about why I was upset took a lot of the pressure off and helped break the cycle.

I was on zofloft for a few months, about 10-15 years ago. I remember having very vivid, movie-like dreams.

The sinus thing you mention is interesting. My wife thinks my depression/anxiety is worse in the spring when my allergies kick in.

Talking is most important! Right up there with medication.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
12-04-2016, 09:01 AM
I find listening to what I call "confrontational" music at high volumes through circumaural headphones eases my anxiety and hypervigilance almost instantaneously. I can dissociate from the outside world, and relax in my own world, insulated, literally, from whatever's going on in the physical space in my vicinity.

(I already have tinnitus, so high sound pressure levels don't worry me any more.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
12-04-2016, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 03:08 PM by Loom.)
I'm looking into some Tai Chi classes in my area. Holding an invisible ball of energy helped back when I was 16, maybe it'll help to do it again Tongue

I'm gonna sound stupid saying this but I don't think I need counseling...rather, I need to eat and drink better (avoiding stimulants and sugar bombs, more iron cuz iron deficiency) and get more active (I am a little pudgier than I'd like to be).

It's gotten better the past few days, thank goodness.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
12-04-2016, 08:08 PM
(12-04-2016 05:14 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I've noticed that mine seem worse when they hit by surprise and when it's been a while between attacks. It seems like I forget the coping and defense mechanisms and have to remember/relearn.

At least talk to a medical doctor or psychiatrist. It could be a medication interaction. Plus you want to stop them ASAP before they settle in.

Vibes.
They started before this collection. I didn't bring it up to my counselor today because there were a couple things more pressing that we had to address. But I see her again soon.
15-04-2016, 05:36 PM
I'm really afraid of what my parents think of me. they know I'm an atheist. I always think the worst. It doesn't help that they're seventh-day adventist. I haven't kept the Sabbath since 10th grade. I've gotten in trouble for it man times. I feel even more trapped at my religious boarding school. It's not good for my mental health right now.

I'm hoping that being away from religion when I go to college will be really helpful for me.
15-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Darkness closing in a bit.

Hoping it won't stay too long.
15-04-2016, 08:03 PM
(15-04-2016 07:28 PM)julep Wrote:  Darkness closing in a bit.

Hoping it won't stay too long.
As of late, I have suffered from severe depression myself.

Private, I know, but you can sense it coming on and yet still not avoid or change it?

I hope it doesn't stay too long either. Sincerely

Peace
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
15-04-2016, 10:35 PM
(15-04-2016 05:36 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm really afraid of what my parents think of me. they know I'm an atheist. I always think the worst. It doesn't help that they're seventh-day adventist. I haven't kept the Sabbath since 10th grade. I've gotten in trouble for it man times. I feel even more trapped at my religious boarding school. It's not good for my mental health right now.

I'm hoping that being away from religion when I go to college will be really helpful for me.

It will. Trust me.
I can't even imagine dealing with a full-on boarding school's worth of religion. You have my sympathies and also my greatest hopes and expectations that the freedom of college will be immensely therapeutic for you. Just hold on until then, you got this Smile
16-04-2016, 04:45 AM
(15-04-2016 10:35 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(15-04-2016 05:36 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm really afraid of what my parents think of me. they know I'm an atheist. I always think the worst. It doesn't help that they're seventh-day adventist. I haven't kept the Sabbath since 10th grade. I've gotten in trouble for it man times. I feel even more trapped at my religious boarding school. It's not good for my mental health right now.

It will. Trust me.
I can't even imagine dealing with a full-on boarding school's worth of religion. You have my sympathies and also my greatest hopes and expectations that the freedom of college will be immensely therapeutic for you. Just hold on until then, you got this Smile

Thanks. ^^
22-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Curious, has anyone tried St. John's Wort to help treat anxiety? I've read up on it, hesitant to try it.

I'd preffer it over Zoloft or Prozac if it actually works just as well.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/