The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-04-2016, 08:06 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
I'm really struggling right now, and I'm not 100% sure what to do about it. About 6 months ago I stopped taking Prozac without tapering due to financial/insurance related concerns. I had been taking it for about 6 years (since I was 16), peaking at 120 mg/day, and was taking 100 mg/day when I stopped. For some reason I didn't really think this was a big deal at the time; I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for so long it almost seemed like the medication wasn't worth taking. I didn't experience very many notable withdrawal symptoms other than some weepiness for a couple of months.
But I've been feeling really, really anxious for the past few weeks and I feel like being off medication might have something to do with it. It could be a constellation of different things, I know that; mental health is hugely complicated and I don't pretend to understand it fully. I don't even understand my own mind right now. I just know that I'm starting to feel the kind of hopelessness and instability that I felt before I began to take the Prozac. I don't have any motivation to do anything, and that scares me. I don't know where to begin to solve this. Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2016, 09:06 PM
(26-04-2016 08:06 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I'm really struggling right now, and I'm not 100% sure what to do about it. About 6 months ago I stopped taking Prozac without tapering due to financial/insurance related concerns. I had been taking it for about 6 years (since I was 16), peaking at 120 mg/day, and was taking 100 mg/day when I stopped. For some reason I didn't really think this was a big deal at the time; I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for so long it almost seemed like the medication wasn't worth taking. I didn't experience very many notable withdrawal symptoms other than some weepiness for a couple of months.
But I've been feeling really, really anxious for the past few weeks and I feel like being off medication might have something to do with it. It could be a constellation of different things, I know that; mental health is hugely complicated and I don't pretend to understand it fully. I don't even understand my own mind right now. I just know that I'm starting to feel the kind of hopelessness and instability that I felt before I began to take the Prozac. I don't have any motivation to do anything, and that scares me. I don't know where to begin to solve this. Any advice?

You can't afford it? Is there no way to get it funded by the state? Because I *know* stopping your meds like that cold turkey is a bad idea.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-04-2016, 09:19 PM
(26-04-2016 08:06 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I'm really struggling right now, and I'm not 100% sure what to do about it. About 6 months ago I stopped taking Prozac without tapering due to financial/insurance related concerns. I had been taking it for about 6 years (since I was 16), peaking at 120 mg/day, and was taking 100 mg/day when I stopped. For some reason I didn't really think this was a big deal at the time; I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for so long it almost seemed like the medication wasn't worth taking. I didn't experience very many notable withdrawal symptoms other than some weepiness for a couple of months.

It's hard, I deal with the same things everyday though I never really took meds for it. Just hang in there. What's your favorite hobbies? If you can find something you really love to do then it can help occupy your mind and keep it from getting filled with other things. Talk to friends, vent, that also helps. It's difficult I know but until you can figure out your medicine situation find a way to keep the depression and anxiety from controlling you. You can do it Smile

(26-04-2016 09:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  Is there no way to get it funded by the state?

A lot easier said than done.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-04-2016, 09:37 PM
(26-04-2016 09:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

It's hard, I deal with the same things everyday though I never really took meds for it. Just hang in there. What's your favorite hobbies? If you can find something you really love to do then it can help occupy your mind and keep it from getting filled with other things. Talk to friends, vent, that also helps. It's difficult I know but until you can figure out your medicine situation find a way to keep the depression and anxiety from controlling you. You can do it Smile
Thanks Smile I used to have some hobbies but with all the life transitions that have happened in the past few years, as well as working around 55 hours per week and spending quite a bit of time in transit (I don't have a car, so I make do with slower means of transportation) I haven't been really able to participate in that many of them. And the further away I get from them, the more inertia seems to set in (speaking metaphorically) and the harder it becomes to push myself to do anything. I'm trying to build new relationships/rebuild old ones, but logistically it's difficult enough that I just get frustrated and give up. I'm hopeful that things will improve once my job situation falls into place in a few weeks, but nothing's certain and waiting it out feels unbearable some days.

(26-04-2016 09:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  Is there no way to get it funded by the state?

My income is high enough that I don't qualify for a lot of assistance, but that doesn't take into account the fact that I have to live in a really expensive area in order to be able to get to work. It would probably be doable, but it doesn't feel worth it right now. I'm trying to research low-cost psychiatric care, but it's looking like a challenging task.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
26-04-2016, 09:43 PM
(26-04-2016 09:37 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 09:19 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's hard, I deal with the same things everyday though I never really took meds for it. Just hang in there. What's your favorite hobbies? If you can find something you really love to do then it can help occupy your mind and keep it from getting filled with other things. Talk to friends, vent, that also helps. It's difficult I know but until you can figure out your medicine situation find a way to keep the depression and anxiety from controlling you. You can do it Smile
Thanks Smile I used to have some hobbies but with all the life transitions that have happened in the past few years, as well as working around 55 hours per week and spending quite a bit of time in transit (I don't have a car, so I make do with slower means of transportation) I haven't been really able to participate in that many of them. And the further away I get from them, the more inertia seems to set in (speaking metaphorically) and the harder it becomes to push myself to do anything. I'm trying to build new relationships/rebuild old ones, but logistically it's difficult enough that I just get frustrated and give up. I'm hopeful that things will improve once my job situation falls into place in a few weeks, but nothing's certain and waiting it out feels unbearable some days.

My income is high enough that I don't qualify for a lot of assistance, but that doesn't take into account the fact that I have to live in a really expensive area in order to be able to get to work. It would probably be doable, but it doesn't feel worth it right now. I'm trying to research low-cost psychiatric care, but it's looking like a challenging task.

Anything you can do at home? For example I've been self teaching myself programming languages the past couple years and it really helps when I feel down because I can push my limits to learn new things and get better at it and especially with a programming language it takes a lot of thinking and problem solving. I get to learn a useful skill and have something to occupy my mind and thoughts.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
26-04-2016, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2016 09:58 PM by debna27.)
(26-04-2016 09:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 09:37 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Thanks Smile I used to have some hobbies but with all the life transitions that have happened in the past few years, as well as working around 55 hours per week and spending quite a bit of time in transit (I don't have a car, so I make do with slower means of transportation) I haven't been really able to participate in that many of them. And the further away I get from them, the more inertia seems to set in (speaking metaphorically) and the harder it becomes to push myself to do anything. I'm trying to build new relationships/rebuild old ones, but logistically it's difficult enough that I just get frustrated and give up. I'm hopeful that things will improve once my job situation falls into place in a few weeks, but nothing's certain and waiting it out feels unbearable some days.

Anything you can do at home? For example I've been self teaching myself programming languages the past couple years and it really helps when I feel down because I can push my limits to learn new things and get better at it and especially with a programming language it takes a lot of thinking and problem solving. I get to learn a useful skill and have something to occupy my mind and thoughts.
I'm looking at online courses just for something to do. I'm thinking that biting the bullet and just shelling out the money for those might be worth it.

Also, just talking about this here is actually helping me think more clearly and stop wallowing. Thanks for that
26-04-2016, 09:54 PM
(26-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 09:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anything you can do at home? For example I've been self teaching myself programming languages the past couple years and it really helps when I feel down because I can push my limits to learn new things and get better at it and especially with a programming language it takes a lot of thinking and problem solving. I get to learn a useful skill and have something to occupy my mind and thoughts.
I'm looking at online courses just for something to do. I'm thinking that biting the bullet and just scrolling out the money for those might be worth it.

Also, just talking about this here is actually helping me think more clearly and stop wallowing. Thanks for that

That's a good option and happy to help Smile glad it's helping.

[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-04-2016, 10:46 PM
(26-04-2016 09:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 09:37 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Thanks Smile I used to have some hobbies but with all the life transitions that have happened in the past few years, as well as working around 55 hours per week and spending quite a bit of time in transit (I don't have a car, so I make do with slower means of transportation) I haven't been really able to participate in that many of them. And the further away I get from them, the more inertia seems to set in (speaking metaphorically) and the harder it becomes to push myself to do anything. I'm trying to build new relationships/rebuild old ones, but logistically it's difficult enough that I just get frustrated and give up. I'm hopeful that things will improve once my job situation falls into place in a few weeks, but nothing's certain and waiting it out feels unbearable some days.

That's what I do. I try to learn a new skill, or learn about new subjects. I like to listen to lectures, podcasts and audio books while I drive or do chores. It just keeps my mind active and doing something meaningful and productive and it makes it harder to dwell on things that are out of my control to fix.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
27-04-2016, 05:22 AM
(26-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 09:43 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anything you can do at home? For example I've been self teaching myself programming languages the past couple years and it really helps when I feel down because I can push my limits to learn new things and get better at it and especially with a programming language it takes a lot of thinking and problem solving. I get to learn a useful skill and have something to occupy my mind and thoughts.
I'm looking at online courses just for something to do. I'm thinking that biting the bullet and just shelling out the money for those might be worth it.

Can you not talk to a head-shrinker? My sister was on meds and she became a totally different person when she was off them. For her, I'd say it was worth every cent to make sure she had them available.

ETA: Although you do seem to have your shit together anyway and I do think that doing cool things is a good way to not be depressed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-04-2016, 09:08 AM
(27-04-2016 05:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I'm looking at online courses just for something to do. I'm thinking that biting the bullet and just shelling out the money for those might be worth it.

Can you not talk to a head-shrinker? My sister was on meds and she became a totally different person when she was off them. For her, I'd say it was worth every cent to make sure she had them available.

ETA: Although you do seem to have your shit together anyway and I do think that doing cool things is a good way to not be depressed.

Thanks. I do see a psychologist occasionally, which helps me to keep my shit mostly together, I just haven't had the resources to see a psychiatrist recently so I can manage my medication effectively. Most days I'm alright I think, I just have times where I get overwhelmed and worry that I'm not handling my situation properly. I feel like spending a few days at home made things a lot worse this time.