The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-04-2016, 11:44 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(26-04-2016 08:06 PM)debna27 Wrote:  But I've been feeling really, really anxious for the past few weeks and I feel like being off medication might have something to do with it. It could be a constellation of different things, I know that; mental health is hugely complicated and I don't pretend to understand it fully. I don't even understand my own mind right now. I just know that I'm starting to feel the kind of hopelessness and instability that I felt before I began to take the Prozac. I don't have any motivation to do anything, and that scares me. I don't know where to begin to solve this. Any advice?
This is my depression without meds.

This is my depression with meds.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-04-2016, 05:10 PM
[Image: anxiety.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-04-2016, 05:37 PM
(27-04-2016 09:08 AM)debna27 Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 05:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  Can you not talk to a head-shrinker? My sister was on meds and she became a totally different person when she was off them. For her, I'd say it was worth every cent to make sure she had them available.

ETA: Although you do seem to have your shit together anyway and I do think that doing cool things is a good way to not be depressed.

Thanks. I do see a psychologist occasionally, which helps me to keep my shit mostly together, I just haven't had the resources to see a psychiatrist recently so I can manage my medication effectively. Most days I'm alright I think, I just have times where I get overwhelmed and worry that I'm not handling my situation properly. I feel like spending a few days at home made things a lot worse this time.

Suggestions for affording meds: Can you see your PCP (primary care physician) for a prescription? I know quite a few will prescribe antidepressants. Could the PCP write you specifically for a less-costly generic?

There are lots of non pharmaceutical treatments for depression, which people have suggested already, but if you have a med that works for you, that is a reasonable thing to continue, if you can afford it.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
28-04-2016, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2016 07:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-04-2016 05:37 PM)julep Wrote:  Suggestions for affording meds: Can you see your PCP (primary care physician) for a prescription? I know quite a few will prescribe antidepressants. Could the PCP write you specifically for a less-costly generic?

The meds I take for sanity are cheap as all fuck. Quetiapine fumarate, trazadone, Xanax, and Wellbutrin are like $50/month total. My diabetes meds of Januvia, Invokana, and Androgel comes to like $1550/motnh.

#sigh
28-04-2016, 08:42 PM
(28-04-2016 05:37 PM)julep Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 09:08 AM)debna27 Wrote:  Thanks. I do see a psychologist occasionally, which helps me to keep my shit mostly together, I just haven't had the resources to see a psychiatrist recently so I can manage my medication effectively. Most days I'm alright I think, I just have times where I get overwhelmed and worry that I'm not handling my situation properly. I feel like spending a few days at home made things a lot worse this time.

Suggestions for affording meds: Can you see your PCP (primary care physician) for a prescription? I know quite a few will prescribe antidepressants. Could the PCP write you specifically for a less-costly generic?

There are lots of non pharmaceutical treatments for depression, which people have suggested already, but if you have a med that works for you, that is a reasonable thing to continue, if you can afford it.

This is a really good suggestion that I've definitely considered in the past. The main reason I don't follow through with it is that my lack of insurance means that I don't have a primary care physician any more. The meds themselves are actually very affordable; generic Prozac is only like $10 a month for me (if my memory is correct; things are strangely blurry when it comes to some aspects of my mental health history).
Now that I've been off them for so long, I'm not even sure getting back on the meds is worth it. I'm honestly not that depressed most of the time. It's just those times that I am depressed that are so hard to deal with. And the anxiety...it's like nothing I've experienced, but it doesn't flare up that often. I'd say I'm maintaining a baseline anxiety level of about 3 or 4, but sometimes it'll ramp up to like an 8. I think that's where it was a few days ago when I originally posted in this thread. Today is better.
28-04-2016, 11:19 PM
(28-04-2016 08:42 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 05:37 PM)julep Wrote:  Suggestions for affording meds: Can you see your PCP (primary care physician) for a prescription? I know quite a few will prescribe antidepressants. Could the PCP write you specifically for a less-costly generic?

This is a really good suggestion that I've definitely considered in the past. The main reason I don't follow through with it is that my lack of insurance means that I don't have a primary care physician any more. The meds themselves are actually very affordable; generic Prozac is only like $10 a month for me (if my memory is correct; things are strangely blurry when it comes to some aspects of my mental health history).
Now that I've been off them for so long, I'm not even sure getting back on the meds is worth it. I'm honestly not that depressed most of the time. It's just those times that I am depressed that are so hard to deal with. And the anxiety...it's like nothing I've experienced, but it doesn't flare up that often. I'd say I'm maintaining a baseline anxiety level of about 3 or 4, but sometimes it'll ramp up to like an 8. I think that's where it was a few days ago when I originally posted in this thread. Today is better.

See, this kinda thing does make me nervous a bit. We're not able to give you advice really, a proper psycho is the person you want to see, someone who can assess you and your medical history and tell you if that's a reasonable course of action. I get that it's expensive, but... IMO compared to the cost of living with mental health issues for months on end... if you can find the money, it's probably worth it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-04-2016, 06:38 AM
(28-04-2016 11:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 08:42 PM)debna27 Wrote:  This is a really good suggestion that I've definitely considered in the past. The main reason I don't follow through with it is that my lack of insurance means that I don't have a primary care physician any more. The meds themselves are actually very affordable; generic Prozac is only like $10 a month for me (if my memory is correct; things are strangely blurry when it comes to some aspects of my mental health history).

See, this kinda thing does make me nervous a bit. We're not able to give you advice really, a proper psycho is the person you want to see, someone who can assess you and your medical history and tell you if that's a reasonable course of action. I get that it's expensive, but... IMO compared to the cost of living with mental health issues for months on end... if you can find the money, it's probably worth it.

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of thing that I need to hear. I'm not looking for proper medical advice, that would be asking for far too much; just general advice and support, which is precisely what I've gotten. I'm going to do what I can to make an appointment with someone to talk through this for real.
But in the meantime I honestly can't thank everyone enough. I'm kind of dumbfounded by how willing to help this community is. You don't even know me, and you've been more empathetic than many people that do.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
02-05-2016, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 09:29 PM by Loom.)
My doctor has prescribed me a new-on-the-market anti-depressant medication, vortioxetine. First round is free. I feel sorta like a guinea pig.

Took one earlier today, felt fine. Went and took a nap for a couple hours, woke up with icy hot heartburn and confusion. Literally had to sit there and figure out what the heck anything was. Surprisingly little anxiety, though. I'm not really worried about the confusion part, cuz I have a tendency to wake up half asleep, just alert enough to interact with people. My mom tells me I'm super polite when it happens Tongue

Hoping the nausea won't last long. My PCP has finally convinced me to see a psychiatrist, which may happen in the next few days.

Stupid anxiety. I'll show 'im who's boss...eventually! >:c

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 5 users Like Loom's post
02-05-2016, 09:24 PM
I keep getting these sort of depressive episodes, they seem to cycle every couple of weeks or so... I'll be absolutely fine, and then gradually over the course of a few days I feel increasingly negative and irritable, until I'm in a real pit, and can't face anyone or anything.

Its getting to be a real problem, in that it strains my friendships. Its even very nearly split my band apart, because I can come across as so negative, and belligerent when it comes on. I basically turn into a completely unlikeable arsehole. One of my friends actually talked to me about it, and said I should stay offline when I feel like that, because I just end up starting arguments... And the strange thing is, that its sort of intentional, like I'm actually spoiling for a fight, and then immediately regret it.

I'm sure its like a brain chemical thing, because I genuinely feel like I'm slightly drunk or hungover when it happens. I get tension headaches with it, and feel like my eyelids are heavy and can't quite keep them open.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2016, 10:12 PM
(02-05-2016 09:24 PM)Sam Wrote:  I keep getting these sort of depressive episodes, they seem to cycle every couple of weeks or so... I'll be absolutely fine, and then gradually over the course of a few days I feel increasingly negative and irritable, until I'm in a real pit, and can't face anyone or anything.

Its getting to be a real problem, in that it strains my friendships. Its even very nearly split my band apart, because I can come across as so negative, and belligerent when it comes on. I basically turn into a completely unlikeable arsehole. One of my friends actually talked to me about it, and said I should stay offline when I feel like that, because I just end up starting arguments... And the strange thing is, that its sort of intentional, like I'm actually spoiling for a fight, and then immediately regret it.

I'm sure its like a brain chemical thing, because I genuinely feel like I'm slightly drunk or hungover when it happens. I get tension headaches with it, and feel like my eyelids are heavy and can't quite keep them open.

Is there any way that you could talk to a professional about this? It sounds genuinely worrisome to me. I get similar depressive feelings that cycle in and out, but without the physical symptoms. That makes me think that it may be something besides depression (although I'm by no means an expert about this, and depression varies so much from person to person).
If it's severe enough that's it's impacting your day to day life I would say that it's certainly worth a visit to a doctor or therapist or something. They may be able to help out. You shouldn't have to deal with this if there's a way to alleviate it at all.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post