The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-05-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(06-05-2016 09:25 PM)debna27 Wrote:  So I've been feeling a lot better emotionally, but I realized that my old habit of picking on the skin around my fingernails has gotten a lot worse. At the moment (and really pretty much consistently all week) 5 of my fingers are either bleeding or nearly so. I can tell it's helping me cope with the internal feelings of anxiety, but I certainly don't think it's the healthiest option available to me. Does anyone else struggle with this or similar types of behaviors? If so, what do you do to manage them?

Hug
Maybe you can try doing something else with your hands when you get anxious. Color, draw, do a puzzle, play an instrument, something like that. Something that could keep your hands busy and also calms you down.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
06-05-2016, 09:29 PM
(06-05-2016 09:25 PM)debna27 Wrote:  So I've been feeling a lot better emotionally, but I realized that my old habit of picking on the skin around my fingernails has gotten a lot worse. At the moment (and really pretty much consistently all week) 5 of my fingers are either bleeding or nearly so. I can tell it's helping me cope with the internal feelings of anxiety, but I certainly don't think it's the healthiest option available to me. Does anyone else struggle with this or similar types of behaviors? If so, what do you do to manage them?

I have a habit of chewing the inside of my cheek when I'm stressed. I've got scars on there where I've gone too far and drawn blood. Its almost impossible to stop because I do it unconsciously.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
06-05-2016, 09:47 PM
(06-05-2016 09:29 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  

Hug
Maybe you can try doing something else with your hands when you get anxious. Color, draw, do a puzzle, play an instrument, something like that. Something that could keep your hands busy and also calms you down.

I actually would really love to be able to do any of these things; they all sound so pleasant. I usually find myself picking at my hands when I'm in the middle of a shift at work or during my "commute" from one job to another (it's just walking). It often happens when I'm waiting for someone/something and it's taking longer than I anticipated. I used to carry Silly Putty in my purse so I could squeeze it when I needed to but I don't know what happened to it, and it really isn't a feasible solution at work.
06-05-2016, 09:53 PM
(06-05-2016 09:47 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 09:29 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Hug

I actually would really love to be able to do any of these things; they all sound so pleasant. I usually find myself picking at my hands when I'm in the middle of a shift at work or during my "commute" from one job to another (it's just walking). It often happens when I'm waiting for someone/something and it's taking longer than I anticipated. I used to carry Silly Putty in my purse so I could squeeze it when I needed to but I don't know what happened to it, and it really isn't a feasible solution at work.

Would wearing gloves be helpful?
06-05-2016, 10:02 PM
(06-05-2016 09:53 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 09:47 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I actually would really love to be able to do any of these things; they all sound so pleasant. I usually find myself picking at my hands when I'm in the middle of a shift at work or during my "commute" from one job to another (it's just walking). It often happens when I'm waiting for someone/something and it's taking longer than I anticipated. I used to carry Silly Putty in my purse so I could squeeze it when I needed to but I don't know what happened to it, and it really isn't a feasible solution at work.

Would wearing gloves be helpful?

I don't know if I'm allowed to, actually. I'll have to see. That could potentially help though, thank you!
07-05-2016, 06:20 AM
I have written a paper on the subject of anxiety medication which was recently quoted at a conference in Paris. There is often a misdiagnosis of depression as resulting from low serotonin. Anxiety is often overlooked as the cause of depression in many people and one should look at whether one is suffering from an "anxiety depression" which might respond to anxiolytics.
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
07-05-2016, 06:55 AM

Yeah Debna... I have this "picking" habit, and have for a long time. In my particular case I pick at my clothing; lots of my duds have unpicked hems, pockets falling off shirts, missing buttons, frayed cuffs, holes in collar points etc. I try to curtail it by fiddling with something else, a pen or a toothpick or a paperclip in order to distract myself. (Interestingly, I used to be a heavy smoker; maybe a connection there in occupying the hands?)

I do pick at my quicks as well, but nowhere near the extent you do. In my case, I think it's the distraction of the slight but sharp pain that causes a distraction from my anxiety, and effectively refocusses me and thereby relaxes me. Dunno really.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-05-2016, 07:08 AM

I have a problem with this type of thing, too, mostly when I'm extra anxious. What I've found helpful: working on stopping for a day or an hour at a time; saying "no" or "don't touch" out loud when I start; making the activity more difficult (someone suggested gloves, that's good, also maybe try a manicure, that helps me leave my nails alone); finding a substitute like the putty or tearing straw wrappers/napkins into tiny bits, or picking the label off of a beer bottle. I tend to get anxious when I am procrastinating or not moving towards my goals, so often, adjusting my activity mix (tackle the messy desk, pay the bills, practice the instrument, etc.) helps calm the anxiety, and that reduces the behaviors.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
07-05-2016, 07:16 AM
(06-05-2016 09:29 PM)Sam Wrote:  

I have a habit of chewing the inside of my cheek when I'm stressed. I've got scars on there where I've gone too far and drawn blood. Its almost impossible to stop because I do it unconsciously.

Maybe get some gum and chew that instead? People typically carry a lot of tension in their jaw and it could be why you are unconsciously doing this. There are also some yoga-style jaw exercises you can do--that while look kinda funny Wink --really work. I do them myself sometimes.
07-05-2016, 07:20 AM
The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(07-05-2016 07:16 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 09:29 PM)Sam Wrote:  I have a habit of chewing the inside of my cheek when I'm stressed. I've got scars on there where I've gone too far and drawn blood. Its almost impossible to stop because I do it unconsciously.

Maybe get some gum and chew that instead? People typically carry a lot of tension in their jaw and it could be why you are unconsciously doing this. There are also some yoga-style jaw exercises you can do--that while look kinda funny Wink --really work. I do them myself sometimes.

Gum might just work actually... Never thought of it before.

Thanks Jenny...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post