The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-05-2016, 07:20 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(06-05-2016 01:49 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It's 1:00 in the afternoon. Ive been up for six hours and I still can't get motivated enough to put on pants. Fuck.

Yep... motivation is one of my major issues too mate. I often start the day in trakkie dacks and moccasins, with every intention of actually getting dressed..... eventually. Seldom happens LOL.

I've yet to find any pdoc that can successfully advise me of some procedure to get myself motivated. In fact I'm fast losing faith in pdocs, period.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2016, 07:23 AM
(06-05-2016 09:47 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 09:29 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Hug
Maybe you can try doing something else with your hands when you get anxious. Color, draw, do a puzzle, play an instrument, something like that. Something that could keep your hands busy and also calms you down.

I actually would really love to be able to do any of these things; they all sound so pleasant. I usually find myself picking at my hands when I'm in the middle of a shift at work or during my "commute" from one job to another (it's just walking). It often happens when I'm waiting for someone/something and it's taking longer than I anticipated. I used to carry Silly Putty in my purse so I could squeeze it when I needed to but I don't know what happened to it, and it really isn't a feasible solution at work.

I wear mantra beads wrapped on my wrist sometimes since I do a lot of yoga and meditation. It looks just like jewelry, but since they are used for meditation purposes and are on an elastic cord, you can pull them apart (which is their purpose) and that can help reduce stress.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2016, 07:36 AM
(07-05-2016 06:20 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I have written a paper on the subject of anxiety medication which was recently quoted at a conference in Paris. There is often a misdiagnosis of depression as resulting from low serotonin. Anxiety is often overlooked as the cause of depression in many people and one should look at whether one is suffering from an "anxiety depression" which might respond to anxiolytics.

That was my problem and after years of struggling I was prescribed pregabalin which works wonders.
07-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Here's what the mantra (also known as mala) beads look like. You can also wear them as a necklace.

[Image: Mala_Collective_How_to_use_your_mala.jpg?7604]
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2016, 07:08 PM
(07-05-2016 07:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's what the mantra (also known as mala) beads look like. You can also wear them as a necklace.

[Image: Mala_Collective_How_to_use_your_mala.jpg?7604]
I made myself some long ago. I might make some again if I still have the beads. (Had to throw the other one out.)
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
08-05-2016, 12:15 AM
(07-05-2016 07:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 01:49 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It's 1:00 in the afternoon. Ive been up for six hours and I still can't get motivated enough to put on pants. Fuck.

Yep... motivation is one of my major issues too mate. I often start the day in trakkie dacks and moccasins, with every intention of actually getting dressed..... eventually. Seldom happens LOL.

I've yet to find any pdoc that can successfully advise me of some procedure to get myself motivated. In fact I'm fast losing faith in pdocs, period.

The most frustrating part of it for me is that I'm a morning person. It's almost like depression has a way of giving me that extra kick in the nuts by stealing my favorite time of day from me. Wasted days. Beautiful spring days that should be filled with sunshine (serotonin), gardens and walks with my dogs. Wasted on my couch like death is waiting outside and I dare not cross the threshold.

So which is it? Does my depression cause anxiety or vice versa? They're two distinct things (though I hate them equally) so why do they so often come hand in hand?

...here's a good chuckle for ya....all these answers are on Google to be certain, but researching anxiety on the net sends me into major anxiety attacks. Facepalm

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
08-05-2016, 02:21 AM
(08-05-2016 12:15 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 07:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Yep... motivation is one of my major issues too mate. I often start the day in trakkie dacks and moccasins, with every intention of actually getting dressed..... eventually. Seldom happens LOL.

The most frustrating part of it for me is that I'm a morning person. It's almost like depression has a way of giving me that extra kick in the nuts by stealing my favorite time of day from me. Wasted days. Beautiful spring days that should be filled with sunshine (serotonin), gardens and walks with my dogs. Wasted on my couch like death is waiting outside and I dare not cross the threshold.

So which is it? Does my depression cause anxiety or vice versa? They're two distinct things (though I hate them equally) so why do they so often come hand in hand?

...here's a good chuckle for ya....all these answers are on Google to be certain, but researching anxiety on the net sends me into major anxiety attacks. Facepalm

In my experience I found the two were so enmeshed and symbiotic as to be almost impossible to distinguish. Once I got treated for both,things became better for me. Hang in there Stark, you are not alone mate. Sending you all good thoughts and best wishes and a man hug Big Grin Hug
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
08-05-2016, 04:31 AM
(08-05-2016 12:15 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  [...]The most frustrating part of it for me is that I'm a morning person. It's almost like depression has a way of giving me that extra kick in the nuts by stealing my favorite time of day from me. [...]

I'm the exact opposite; I'm a night owl, and invariably sleep through most of the daylight hours—which has really stuffed my social life. I have a sleep disorder called N-24 (or a "rolling" sleep pattern which doesn't comply with the normal 24-hour sleep-wake cycle) and which I haven't been able to fix, even after more than ten years.

And I'm in your boat as far as missing out on enjoying any sort of outdoors life. I can't really expect my neighbours to put up with me mowing the lawn or chain-sawing firewood at 3AM. Unsure

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-05-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm so stressed right now.
09-05-2016, 03:36 PM
(09-05-2016 03:28 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm so stressed right now.

I'm sorry to hear that is it anxiety related?