The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-02-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
I'm going to be home alone tonight and this weekend...for some, that's no big deal, but for me I'm hoping this will be the next step towards regaining my independence from my anxiety.

I used to have a dreadful time being alone, had constant worrying and panic attacks. I would count the minutes until someone came home and was never able to relax. That needs to change if I want to be independent.

Here's to a good weekend.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
17-02-2017, 07:15 PM
(17-02-2017 07:01 PM)Loom Wrote:  I'm going to be home alone tonight and this weekend...for some, that's no big deal, but for me I'm hoping this will be the next step towards regaining my independence from my anxiety.

I used to have a dreadful time being alone, had constant worrying and panic attacks. I would count the minutes until someone came home and was never able to relax. That needs to change if I want to be independent.

You can do it Smile You can always come on here and hang out and we can help make you feel not so alone Hug

Use your alone time as a time to work on your art and maybe come up with a list of other things to do to keep yourself entertained and busy. That way, they're already in place and you can use those to help divert yourself away from the anxiety. When anxiety hits, a good tool is to divert from the thought that is producing anxiety (and sometimes it does take work to do this) and go and do something else that diverts your attention. After awhile, your anxiety will come down to a more manageable level. You just gotta ride the wave and it'll come down. Remind yourself of that and you can become more in control over the anxious thoughts.

Another good tool is box breathing (inhale to a count of 5, hold for a count of 5, exhale to the count of 5 and hold again for 5.) Getting in control of your breath can help calm you down. Be aware of your body as well--unclench your jaw (you can do this easily by putting your tongue behind your top teeth) and make sure your fists aren't clenched. If you relax yourself physically, it also helps to bring down the fight or flight mechanism.

Anyway, just some ideas. Smile
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-02-2017, 08:51 PM
(17-02-2017 07:01 PM)Loom Wrote:  I'm going to be home alone tonight and this weekend...for some, that's no big deal, but for me I'm hoping this will be the next step towards regaining my independence from my anxiety.

Get together with very annoying people before hand then you will be jumping for joy when you can be alone.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
17-02-2017, 09:48 PM
(17-02-2017 07:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  

You can do it Smile You can always come on here and hang out and we can help make you feel not so alone Hug

Use your alone time as a time to work on your art and maybe come up with a list of other things to do to keep yourself entertained and busy. That way, they're already in place and you can use those to help divert yourself away from the anxiety. When anxiety hits, a good tool is to divert from the thought that is producing anxiety (and sometimes it does take work to do this) and go and do something else that diverts your attention. After awhile, your anxiety will come down to a more manageable level. You just gotta ride the wave and it'll come down. Remind yourself of that and you can become more in control over the anxious thoughts.

Another good tool is box breathing (inhale to a count of 5, hold for a count of 5, exhale to the count of 5 and hold again for 5.) Getting in control of your breath can help calm you down. Be aware of your body as well--unclench your jaw (you can do this easily by putting your tongue behind your top teeth) and make sure your fists aren't clenched. If you relax yourself physically, it also helps to bring down the fight or flight mechanism.

I went ahead and took up your drawing suggestion Big Grin

I've had art block for so long but being able to draw again has been so...theraputic? It certainly helps distract me. I miss drawing like I used to before the anxiety nation attacked.

Again thanks for the support. I feel silly about worrying about being alone but it really is a big step for me.

17-02-2017, 10:01 PM
(17-02-2017 09:48 PM)Loom Wrote:  
(17-02-2017 07:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You can do it Smile You can always come on here and hang out and we can help make you feel not so alone Hug

I went ahead and took up your drawing suggestion Big Grin

I've had art block for so long but being able to draw again has been so...theraputic? It certainly helps distract me. I miss drawing like I used to before the anxiety nation attacked.

Again thanks for the support. I feel silly about worrying about being alone but it really is a big step for me.

Oh cool, it'll be interesting to see your drawings. Smile I love art and wish I had a talent for it, but alas the best I can do is stick figures Wink

Don't feel silly about being alone. Everyone has things that bother them for one reason or another. I know you'll get through it though and you'll be fine. And also you're not alone alone, you've got us Big Grin
10-03-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm new to the forum, and wanted to say, this thread is awesome.

I have an anxiety disorder, along with having bouts of depression in the past, which I'm working with almost every day. Very cool to see so many people supporting others who have issues, with encouraging words and advice.

I'm slowly getting back to "normal" after coming of my medication, (as per doctors advice), and pretty much instantly having panic attacks and so on. A big part of the boost in confidence is by doing new things, and accomplishing things I haven't done before. Due to my issues, I've never passed my driving test (I'm 29) but have just booked my test, and am really looking forward to it, thanks to support from my friends/family and an awesome/understanding instructor.

Anyway, again awesome thread, anybody with issue's hang in there and big high fives to those supporting people in this thread as well.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
19-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Home alone again, this time for a whole week. And already off to a bad start Sad

Just woke up close to a panic attack, managed to stave it off. But it's not finished with me yet. Took a xanax.

The problem is my regular support network is unavailable right now (2:30am and out of town). I am on my own.

19-03-2017, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 01:02 AM by jennybee.)
(19-03-2017 12:33 AM)Loom Wrote:  Home alone again, this time for a whole week. And already off to a bad start Sad

Just woke up close to a panic attack, managed to stave it off. But it's not finished with me yet. Took a xanax.

The problem is my regular support network is unavailable right now (2:30am and out of town). I am on my own.

We're here for you *hugs* Do your best to ride it out like a wave. Your anxiety will come down soon. You're just in a peak now. But just like when you've had these in the past it will come down and things will stabilize again.

Unclench your fists, circle your jaw around a bit by moving it back and forth (people tend to clench these things in the middle of anxiety, I know I do, and it actually worsens anxiety). Notice where else you have tensed your muscles, try and relax those as well.

Your breathing speeds up during an anxiety attack. Do some breathing exercises--breath in slowly for a count of 5 and then out for a longer count, say to 10. You can shorten these counts if they are too long. This can help bring your breathing down to a more manageable level, which can help lessen anxiety.

Applying *mild* pressure to the spot just above and between your eyebrows can relax you as well. I usually just take my hand and place it (sideways) there, so it kind of looks like how you would check yourself for a fever.

Hope some of this helps. Hug
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
19-03-2017, 01:09 AM
(19-03-2017 12:58 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 12:33 AM)Loom Wrote:  Home alone again, this time for a whole week. And already off to a bad start Sad

We're here for you *hugs* Do your best to ride it out like a wave. Your anxiety will come down soon. You're just in a peak now. But just like when you've had these in the past it will come down and things will stabilize again.

Unclench your fists, circle your jaw around a bit by moving it back and forth (people tend to clench these things in the middle of anxiety, I know I do, and it actually worsens anxiety). Notice where else you have tensed your muscles, try and relax those as well.

Your breathing speeds up during an anxiety attack. Do some breathing exercises--breath in slowly for a count of 5 and then out for a longer count, say to 10. You can shorten these counts if they are too long. This can help bring your breathing down to a more manageable level, which can help lessen anxiety.

Applying *mild* pressure to the spot just above and between your eyebrows can relax you as well. I usually just take my hand and place it (sideways) there, so it kind of looks like how you would check yourself for a fever.

Hope some of this helps. Hug

I did some breathing exercises. I think I'll make it now Big Grin

Gonna go watch some tornado vids. Oddly enough they calm me down despite how scary they are.

[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
20-03-2017, 03:44 AM
Loom, have you tried stuff like yoga/meditation? I've found that sort of thing really calms me down when I'm close to panic attacks.

Hope you're doing good though, I know the feeling when you're on your own and there is nobody around!

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post