The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-07-2012, 07:35 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
Man today is just one strange day. I get up, feeling good, having coffee, and then I went out. I probably had ten tics show up in less than half an hour. And several more to follow! I couldn't find my sunglasses - pretty sure that started the ball rolling. I only just restarted my day. Pain in the ass, it is. Maybe I should move to the Yukon for half the year or something...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2012, 07:40 PM
(16-07-2012 07:35 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Man today is just one strange day. I get up, feeling good, having coffee, and then I went out. I probably had ten tics show up in less than half an hour. And several more to follow! I couldn't find my sunglasses - pretty sure that started the ball rolling. I only just restarted my day. Pain in the ass, it is. Maybe I should move to the Yukon for half the year or something...
Well, in the Yukon, you'll have to add ticks to your tics - even in the winter.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-07-2012, 07:41 PM
How weird is it that many wanna-be therapists have their own neurosis'/depression to deal with. I don't really understand how you can be helpful to others with these afflictions. I could be wrong as it's happened before Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-07-2012, 08:17 PM
(16-07-2012 07:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:35 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Man today is just one strange day. I get up, feeling good, having coffee, and then I went out. I probably had ten tics show up in less than half an hour. And several more to follow! I couldn't find my sunglasses - pretty sure that started the ball rolling. I only just restarted my day. Pain in the ass, it is. Maybe I should move to the Yukon for half the year or something...
Well, in the Yukon, you'll have to add ticks to your tics - even in the winter.
Hobo Damnit!

Found out where my glasses are - in a friends car. Censored

16-07-2012, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 08:46 PM by LadyJane.)
(16-07-2012 07:41 PM)aurora Wrote:  How weird is it that many wanna-be therapists have their own neurosis'/depression to deal with. I don't really understand how you can be helpful to others with these afflictions. I could be wrong as it's happened before Big Grin
My friends and I always joked about this in school. It does ring very true. Either they are or someone close to them usually has some sort of issue, I think that's what makes them interested and drawn to the subject of psychology/neurology.
16-07-2012, 08:42 PM
(16-07-2012 08:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:41 PM)aurora Wrote:  How weird is it that many wanna-be therapists have their own neurosis'/depression to deal with. I don't really understand how you can be helpful to others with these afflictions. I could be wrong as it's happened before Big Grin
My friends and I always joked about this in school. It does ring very true. Either they air someone close to them usually has some sort of issue, I think that's what makes them interested and drawn to the subject of psychology/neurology.
Do either of you have mental illnesses?

16-07-2012, 08:53 PM
(16-07-2012 08:42 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 08:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My friends and I always joked about this in school. It does ring very true. Either they air someone close to them usually has some sort of issue, I think that's what makes them interested and drawn to the subject of psychology/neurology.
Do either of you have mental illnesses?
No, but someone very close to me does (although they were diagnosed after I was interested and pursuing a career in the field). And I think not only wanna be therapists, but many actual ones do. They know something from the inside and want to learn it from the outside, as well as helping people who also suffer- what better way to empathize than knowing personally what someone is going through.

Why do you ask?
16-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I ask because there is absolutely no reason why one cannot study to be a psychologist. Or a neurologist. Or any field.

'If you get a cut and need a bandage and get one, it's inconceivable why
you would help someone else with a cut later on in life because you had
to deal with having a cut earlier on.'

That's why it doesn't ring true to my ears!

16-07-2012, 09:15 PM
When I was in Grad school, the professors in my psych program were some of the most messed up individuals I've run across in a professional setting. It really turned me off to pursuing counseling as a career for a while. But now, 17 years later, having been in pretty intensive therapy for the past year, I'm considering it again. My therapist is someone I think very highly of and she's been causing me to consider it again as a career. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
16-07-2012, 09:18 PM
(16-07-2012 08:58 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I ask because there is absolutely no reason why one cannot study to be a psychologist. Or a neurologist. Or any field.

'If you get a cut and need a bandage and get one, it's inconceivable why
you would help someone else with a cut later on in life because you had
to deal with having a cut earlier on.'

That's why it doesn't ring true to my ears!
Then we agree Smile That's what I ws trying to say, but not as clearly.

By joking before, I meant we'd joke and say "You can only join this class if you have (enter mental illness here). It's a prerequisite.", because it seems that many in school had this (I'm a counsellor). Our prof was a psychologist who had clinical depression.

Ack, I also lied! I have S.A.D but I've forgotten, as I seem to be fairing well now. This winter was my first rough winter in over 5 years, but it's summer now so I'm a happy clam. Smile I don't think my depression is as low as clinical depression can go. I've had a few bad days to know that that is not an easy place Sad

I do think that the person should be in a healthy state of mind to be a professional though (meaning managed with the skill set and support to pursue their career).