The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-05-2018, 10:51 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
And thank you, both of you beautiful peoples.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
11-05-2018, 01:11 PM
(11-05-2018 10:50 AM)Loom Wrote:  I live in the US. I'm pretty sure they can fire me for any reason.

There's also little opportunity to de-stress--I work in the garden center and it's currently skitzo busy out there, no breaks between customers, other customers are frequently coming up behind you while you are ringing someone out and asking you questions, there aren't enough people staffed so there's no help with loading or garden questions, and I rarely get my breaks, either because they "forget" about me or we simply don't have enough cashiers staffed. It's rediculous. You stand out there for 4-6 hours with hardly enough time to sip your water, constantly talking with all the robotic spiels we have to go through with each customer. Doesn't matter if you're hungry, need to use the bathroom, or just need a flat out break--you probably won't get one a damned if you ask about it. Doesn't help I just worked 12 days in a row...

So yeah...jobhunting...

And I do take meds, though I'm thinking about getting the dose upped--my paychiatrist calls my current dosage "barely therapeutic"."

I also have Xanax as needed, but that stuff turns me into a zombie. I'm a bit of a lightweight I guess, but even the lowest dose makes me scared of driving.

I think my best option right now is finding a differeng job. I want to move up or learn new things. In my current job that means even more stress since management is the only way up. So I'm looking into hospital jobs where my EMT training might apply, like a patient transporter. Undoubtably there are different stresses to be had there, but I think I can handle it much better, especially knowing I'm helping someone. Right now, I don't feel worth much.

Loom, if you aren't above a little "experimentation", head off to your local hippy-dippy, Herbal store - Wild Oats or some other health-food store - or even the supplement section of Walgreens or CVS - find a bottle of Valerian Root.
Pay no attention to how many it says to take on the bottle - they just want you to take as much as possible so you'll buy more. Screw that. Take only one with food - either at breakfast or at lunch - and see how things go. It should take the edge off.
It can cause drowsiness or possibly enhance the drowsiness effect of other drugs - which is why "experimentation".

Here is some information you may find interesting about Valerian Root.

If you feel it's working out, I recommend only taking it for a short time - maybe a couple of weeks or so - to kind of break up the reinforced brain patterns which may have built up as a result of this bad patch you seem to have run into recently. Then just keep it on hand.

I have recommended it to friends who suffer with extreme anxiety and they usually appreciate that it's available over the counter. They feel more comfortable with it than Xanax. They describe themselves as "lightweights", too. Wink

Good luck with the job hunt - anyone would be lucky to have you as an employee. Your EMT training should get you something in a hospital - that's pretty impressive. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-05-2018, 01:28 PM
I want to thank the OP for starting this thread. I suffer anxiety and depression. I won't say it is severe, but it did get really bad in the past when I've lost jobs. The worst was when my late mother had health problems and I felt helpless not knowing when to step in or let her make her own decisions.

And currently I have an online friend going through manic depression overseas in a country that values religion more than psychology and science. Just being an atheist in a conservative county only having atheist friends online, I know what isolation feels like. There is far too much of a stigma attached to mental illness. It really helps those affected to know they are not alone.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Been struggling a little bit over the past day or so. I'm on medication for an Anxiety issue, although yesterday and today more so, I'm having a "mini freak out" I think. Without the meds/self calming techniques I think I'd have had a full blown panic attack, although little things are making it feel worse than it is. (I keep thinking people are like watching me to see what I'm doing. And having more people in the room makes me very anxious at the moment, but as soon as they leave I feel much better).

Not sure what's brought this on, but will power through.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
16-05-2018, 10:10 AM
(16-05-2018 07:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Been struggling a little bit over the past day or so. I'm on medication for an Anxiety issue, although yesterday and today more so, I'm having a "mini freak out" I think. Without the meds/self calming techniques I think I'd have had a full blown panic attack, although little things are making it feel worse than it is. (I keep thinking people are like watching me to see what I'm doing. And having more people in the room makes me very anxious at the moment, but as soon as they leave I feel much better).

Hug

That's one of the worst parts about anxiety--feeling like you're crazy and whatnot. Especially in front of other people. I get social anxiety if I start feeling odd, really bad if I'm nauseous. And those "little things" never let ya catch a break!

Hang in there.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
16-05-2018, 01:10 PM
(16-05-2018 07:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Been struggling a little bit over the past day or so. I'm on medication for an Anxiety issue, although yesterday and today more so, I'm having a "mini freak out" I think. Without the meds/self calming techniques I think I'd have had a full blown panic attack, although little things are making it feel worse than it is. (I keep thinking people are like watching me to see what I'm doing. And having more people in the room makes me very anxious at the moment, but as soon as they leave I feel much better).

Hugs to you. We're here if you need us.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post