The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-01-2013, 01:07 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(04-01-2013 09:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So it turns out that Depression isn't enough for me to have so my new shrink decided I have "Double Depression," which is Major Depression Recurrent with Dysthymia. Sounds like an army dude with a bad case of the runs. Blush
That's not cool...but the reference to dysentery was!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 02:19 AM
(04-01-2013 09:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So it turns out that Depression isn't enough for me to have so my new shrink decided I have "Double Depression," which is Major Depression Recurrent with Dysthymia. Sounds like an army dude with a bad case of the runs. Blush
Really sorry to hear that. Dysthymia sucks, because it's always there, so in the end you get so used to it, if it goes away/gets better you feel like something's missing and start looking forward to feeling down again (of if not looking forward, at least expecting it, like a visit from an obnoxious relative...)

Hug

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-01-2013, 04:50 AM
Smidgen, it's pretty much what Vera said. It's described as a low-grade depression that lasts two years or more. It explains to me why I've felt depressed most of my adult life. There aren't suicidal lows and there aren't any real highs either. It's just a straight line of affect, that runs below being in a good mood. Something like 5% of the population has it and the vast majority of those are women. Lucky me for beating the odds! Since there aren't suicidal lows, most people with Dysthymia don't seek treatment because they don't feel like it's "that bad" and they think that's just the way they are, that it's natural. Then when Major Depression hits, the person spikes down toward suicidal feelings and it's kind of a sine wave up and down, only it never goes higher than the low-grade depression line, it only goes down to the low lows and then back up to the mid lows.

And Vera hit the nail on the head: if the person starts to feel better, they feel like something's missing from their "natural" state and their mind fucks with them to find ways to stay that way.

Anti-depressants at normal dosages keep me from staying at the suicidal level for too long, but they haven't elevated my mood beyond that low-grade line.

It was a bit gratifying to learn this because I couldn't figure out why I've been majorly depressed for several years when it's only supposed to last from a few weeks to maybe a few months.

Next week I go back to narrow down my anxiety disorder diagnosis. Woot woot! Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Yeah, Erx explained it pretty well. Like Stephen Fry (who is bipolar) said, at least with bipolar disorder you get the high of the manic episode. With a unipolar disorder the only change is the severity of the depression. Gets old rather quickly... On the upside, practice makes perfect, eh? Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-01-2013, 05:18 AM
And there we have it. It always returns back to Stephen Fry, doesn't it. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Oops...I'm not allowed to have caffeine anymore. Weeping

One last sip... Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-01-2013, 05:25 AM
(05-01-2013 05:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  One last sip... Drinking Beverage
Later that year, recalcitrant forum newbies would scared into submission with tales of Erxzilla...
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
05-01-2013, 05:59 AM
(05-01-2013 05:18 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And there we have it. It always returns back to Stephen Fry, doesn't it. Drinking Beverage

I've said it before and I'll say it again - all human knowledge is contained in QI and descends upon us, mere mortals (and morons), through the mouth of Stephen Fry (and sometimes Alan Davies)...

05-01-2013, 06:13 AM
(05-01-2013 05:59 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 05:18 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And there we have it. It always returns back to Stephen Fry, doesn't it. Drinking Beverage

I've said it before and I'll say it again -

That's an understatement if I've ever read one.

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-01-2013, 06:15 AM
(05-01-2013 04:50 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  ...
Anti-depressants at normal dosages keep me from staying at the suicidal level for too long, but they haven't elevated my mood beyond that low-grade line.

I know this is a serious thread (which is why I feel I don't really belong here) so I shouldn't be flippant.

But I have tasted depression and again I offer a short term fix... get yer ass over 'ere!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  another vitamin & supplement thread Bows and Arrows 2 139 26-02-2014 07:54 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
  Depression and Unpleasant Truths Dark Phoenix 16 584 13-01-2014 04:11 PM
Last Post: bemore
  Social Anxiety and Alcoholism GodlessnFree 6 618 26-03-2013 12:23 PM
Last Post: CaffinatedPuppy
Question Depression that never ends? Leela 33 2,031 05-01-2013 11:42 AM