The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-05-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(16-05-2013 04:49 AM)LadyValkyrie37 Wrote:  I have been abused physically, emotionally, and sexually from birth into adulthood. I was officially diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar Disorder Type II, and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder in 2002. I have been been in talk therapy and medication management ever since. It took several years to find the right medicinal cocktail for me. Every couple to few years I have to have something changed because my body gets too used to one medication or another. It's been a long and hard 11 years of therapy. I'm an ever learning, ever growing, work in progress.

Welcome to the forum; I can empathise with you having endured many forms of depression,dystymia, S.A.D., anxiety, for decades.
I think cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is quite helpful and I use self created acronyms of a positive nature, quite often.

As for meds its very much looking for the proverbial needle in a hay stack.
One that worked for me ,Serzone, was taken off the market because of a spate of liver failure deaths. Aurorix presently helps a bit. As for anxiety, the benzos no longer help, and I have stopped drinking as well.

'Ever learning, ever growing'.....now thats very POSITIVETongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
17-05-2013, 12:07 AM
(16-05-2013 05:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Welcome to the forum; I can empathise with you having endured many forms of depression,dystymia, S.A.D., anxiety, for decades.
I think cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is quite helpful and I use self created acronyms of a positive nature, quite often.

As for meds its very much looking for the proverbial needle in a hay stack.
One that worked for me ,Serzone, was taken off the market because of a spate of liver failure deaths. Aurorix presently helps a bit. As for anxiety, the benzos no longer help, and I have stopped drinking as well.

'Ever learning, ever growing'.....now thats very POSITIVETongue

Thank you for the welcome! It's hard to stay positive, but that little description about myself is something of a mantra for me, no matter what aspect of life I'm dealing with. As for medication I'm currently taking:

30mg Restoril
100mg Topamax
40mg Viibryd
75mg Effexor
10mg Lexapro
Prilosec for acid reflux
lots of ibuprofen for osteoarthritis in the knees
otc seasonal allergy meds

I feel like a walking pharmacy at times.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I've come to this thread very late in the game, as I'm relatively new to TTA. I have a very, very long history with depression and, more recently, anxiety and a new diagnosis of PTSD which all stems for years of abuse. I've been on all sorts of meds, with varying degrees of effectiveness - seems the ones that really do work are the ones I can't afford. I finally, though, have found a therapist who "fits" - a Zen Buddhist priest who is also a psychologist. But maybe most of all, in the last few months, when I've come so very close to hitting rock bottom, it's been my exploration of my true beliefs in the reality of existence that are helping me through this. I'm starting to identify as a "Buddhist atheist," I think. I practice mindfulness, accept the whole "everything is suffering but we can be free of it" bit, but all that crap about God? BS. A huge thing for me. I mean. Absolutely HUGE.
[+] 3 users Like WhiteRaven's post
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
(30-06-2013 11:30 AM)WhiteRaven Wrote:  I'm starting to identify as a "Buddhist atheist," I think. I practice mindfulness, accept the whole "everything is suffering but we can be free of it" bit, but all that crap about God? BS. A huge thing for me. I mean. Absolutely HUGE.

I prefer to think of myself as an atheist who practices zazen and recognizes the wisdom of the Noble Eightfold Path ... also as an atheist who practices prayer and recognizes the wisdom of the Red Letter Version of the New Testament. ... Consider ... wait, never mind, same thing. Wink

(30-06-2013 11:30 AM)WhiteRaven Wrote:  I've come to this thread very late in the game, as I'm relatively new to TTA. I have a very, very long history with depression and, more recently, anxiety and a new diagnosis of PTSD which all stems for years of abuse. I've been on all sorts of meds, with varying degrees of effectiveness - seems the ones that really do work are the ones I can't afford.

Seroquel been bery bery good for Girly.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
(30-06-2013 11:30 AM)WhiteRaven Wrote:  I've come to this thread very late in the game, as I'm relatively new to TTA. I have a very, very long history with depression and, more recently, anxiety and a new diagnosis of PTSD which all stems for years of abuse. I've been on all sorts of meds, with varying degrees of effectiveness - seems the ones that really do work are the ones I can't afford. I finally, though, have found a therapist who "fits" - a Zen Buddhist priest who is also a psychologist. But maybe most of all, in the last few months, when I've come so very close to hitting rock bottom, it's been my exploration of my true beliefs in the reality of existence that are helping me through this. I'm starting to identify as a "Buddhist atheist," I think. I practice mindfulness, accept the whole "everything is suffering but we can be free of it" bit, but all that crap about God? BS. A huge thing for me. I mean. Absolutely HUGE.

I practice a version of mindfulness. I took a course a few years back based on Zen Buddhism - a branch off of it, at least. I think the biggest struggle in it is knowing you have to face the same shit over and over again in your mind, and you have to do the same thing over and over to get over the same one thing (or a few) that haunts your brain.

But the good thing is is that no matter how many times the tape plays "I can't do it anymore" in your head, a much stronger yet oddly quiet voice says "You can get through this because you are strong and you've done it before".

Find those whom you trust to say those same words to you. Sometimes hearing it from another person makes that strong yet oddly quiet voice inside you feel relief. Validation. It might not get easier when being faced initially with what haunts your brain, but the moment you acknowledge it and let someone you trust know and they say those words, or words of support like it, it's a breath of fresh air for your mind.

Stay strong, WhiteRaven.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
(02-07-2013 05:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(30-06-2013 11:30 AM)WhiteRaven Wrote:  I've come to this thread very late in the game, as I'm relatively new to TTA. I have a very, very long history with depression and, more recently, anxiety and a new diagnosis of PTSD which all stems for years of abuse. I've been on all sorts of meds, with varying degrees of effectiveness - seems the ones that really do work are the ones I can't afford. I finally, though, have found a therapist who "fits" - a Zen Buddhist priest who is also a psychologist. But maybe most of all, in the last few months, when I've come so very close to hitting rock bottom, it's been my exploration of my true beliefs in the reality of existence that are helping me through this. I'm starting to identify as a "Buddhist atheist," I think. I practice mindfulness, accept the whole "everything is suffering but we can be free of it" bit, but all that crap about God? BS. A huge thing for me. I mean. Absolutely HUGE.

I practice a version of mindfulness. I took a course a few years back based on Zen Buddhism - a branch off of it, at least. I think the biggest struggle in it is knowing you have to face the same shit over and over again in your mind, and you have to do the same thing over and over to get over the same one thing (or a few) that haunts your brain.

But the good thing is is that no matter how many times the tape plays "I can't do it anymore" in your head, a much stronger yet oddly quiet voice says "You can get through this because you are strong and you've done it before".

Find those whom you trust to say those same words to you. Sometimes hearing it from another person makes that strong yet oddly quiet voice inside you feel relief. Validation. It might not get easier when being faced initially with what haunts your brain, but the moment you acknowledge it and let someone you trust know and they say those words, or words of support like it, it's a breath of fresh air for your mind.

Stay strong, WhiteRaven.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
09-08-2013, 06:15 AM
I read about a new kind of very mild treatment. Instead of shocking the brain
with very high voltage and many milliamperes they tease it with say 30 Volt short pulses
direct current and one to two milli? It had two names so not sure if it was exactly same treatment.

Typically the alternative medicine has jumped on the wagon and sell such machines
so most likely if they where dangerous to use they would be forbidden.

Have any of you dared to test or know persons who have? So one term for it
that maybe is only used by the Alternative medicine is Cranio-Electro Stimulation (CES)

and the official medicin use this term Transcranial direct-current stimulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcrania...timulation

but if I get it the frequencies and Voltage and Currents are the same?
Some say it give very good result compared with medicine or therapy.
And that it is not dangerous. In case any of you wonder I am 100% against
all Alternative medicine and I don't trust in Mindfulness or Yoga or such.

CBT most likely works but not everybody can use it. I've tested for decades
and you need to be very good at concentration and not have severe ADD to follow it.
25-09-2013, 08:16 PM
I am new to the forum, but sadly not to anxiety or depression. I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder when I was 17 (though both manifested at early ages), as well as Panic Disorder when my stress is out of control. I had resulting depression episodes when my anxiety was least controlled. I took Paxil first, and after some hell trying to get off of it, switched to Lexapro, which seems to work for the depression and prevents panic attacks, but not much else. It also puts me to sleep and makes me incredibly drowsy and fatigued if I'm on a more therapeutic dose. (Zoloft made me sick, I've tried that one and I won't go near Effexor.) At any rate, I am now 25 and am still battling these problems, though I do feel better in many regards.

I had a horrible episode of depression and anxiety last year when I finally admitted to myself that I'd lost my faith (if I ever really had it) and was now at best an agnostic atheist. I went through the typical stages - denial, depression (I lost 10 pounds in a week and I am already a slender person), anxiety attacks, grief, anger, and now finally, acceptance and peace. I'm happier now than I was as a theist, but I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't agonise somewhat at never seeing my loved ones again after death, and so on. It hasn't been easy. The worst part is that I haven't told my parents that I'm an atheist yet. They're Christian. I'm afraid of disappointing them and breaking their hearts. This is a major source of anxiety for me at the moment. I know eventually they'll find out. I just don't know how to ease the anxiety.
Sad

“You are not controlling the storm, and you are not lost in it. You are the storm.” - Sam Harris
27-09-2013, 12:31 AM
If you want to hide it, nothing wrong with that. Alternately you could drop hints here and there for a while, that way when they find out they won't be shocked. Hope you find some solace here. Thumbsup

27-09-2013, 05:09 PM
(25-09-2013 08:16 PM)yourmatchmyfire Wrote:  I am new to the forum, but sadly not to anxiety or depression. I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder when I was 17 (though both manifested at early ages), as well as Panic Disorder when my stress is out of control. I had resulting depression episodes when my anxiety was least controlled. I took Paxil first, and after some hell trying to get off of it, switched to Lexapro, which seems to work for the depression and prevents panic attacks, but not much else. It also puts me to sleep and makes me incredibly drowsy and fatigued if I'm on a more therapeutic dose. (Zoloft made me sick, I've tried that one and I won't go near Effexor.) At any rate, I am now 25 and am still battling these problems, though I do feel better in many regards.

I had a horrible episode of depression and anxiety last year when I finally admitted to myself that I'd lost my faith (if I ever really had it) and was now at best an agnostic atheist. I went through the typical stages - denial, depression (I lost 10 pounds in a week and I am already a slender person), anxiety attacks, grief, anger, and now finally, acceptance and peace. I'm happier now than I was as a theist, but I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't agonise somewhat at never seeing my loved ones again after death, and so on. It hasn't been easy. The worst part is that I haven't told my parents that I'm an atheist yet. They're Christian. I'm afraid of disappointing them and breaking their hearts. This is a major source of anxiety for me at the moment. I know eventually they'll find out. I just don't know how to ease the anxiety.
Sad

It is very much horses for courses when it comes to depression/ anxiety.
Early anti deps may make you feel really bad for a few weeks before starting to work,some cause insomnia, and others make you sleep so well; but, you are like a zombie most of the day. Not trying to discourage, the right one can make you feel quite a bit better.

As for your Christian dilemma, personally I choose to believe in a higher cosmic power. This does not require any hard line religious dogmas, nor do I have to ignore anything I see as spiritual or meaningful gleaned form various scripture. You can be an agnostic believer just as easily or easier than being a hard line atheist.HuhAngelHuh