The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2014, 11:07 AM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
I suffer from depression too. It's in my family. This shit is hereditary. In my family some people suffer from depression too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Quote:Seroquel been bery bery good for Girly.
Thumbsup
I was taking Seroquel but I lost my insurance and my job so it's been a while and I feel terrible.
I just recently got insured and I'm trying to find a new doc so I can get back on it.
It worked wonders for me, like day and night.

Religions are fairytales.
13-08-2014, 03:59 PM
(12-08-2014 11:32 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:Seroquel been bery bery good for Girly.
Thumbsup
I was taking Seroquel but I lost my insurance and my job so it's been a while and I feel terrible.
I just recently got insured and I'm trying to find a new doc so I can get back on it.
It worked wonders for me, like day and night.

I take the generic Quetiapine Fumarate. It works and it's $15 vs. $250.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
14-08-2014, 08:13 AM
(21-04-2012 11:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  It seems that a lot of my issues are rooted in my past Christian worldview. I'm learning that the only way out is to go through. In other words, I've spent a lot of energy repressing my thoughts and feelings rather than working through them to understand and hopefully change them.

Great topic!

For myself, I have definitely found the above insight and analysis to be correct. I do not believe that negative feelings are a sign of being "broken" or that they need to be "fixed", rather I think that generally they are just facts of our circumstance (often related to our social conditioning) and we need to actually allow ourselves to experience them and work though them if we want to move beyond them and genuinely be free of them.

I'll give you an example - I spent the 1st half of my life running from feelings of loneliness into inappropriate relationships - any relationship situation seemed better than being on my own. It should be quite easy to imagine where that one ended up! After my last abusive relationship ended, I decided to try a new tactic - simply "allow" the feelings of loneliness to come in, e.g. to accept as fact that in that moment, it was simply true that I was single (rather than go looking for a new partner straight away).

As I let them in, the feelings of loneliness became worse and worse. But after a month or two of truly dark, horrible feelings - I noticed they weren't getting any worse. Then within a few weeks, I noticed they seemed to be fading away, and within a month or two, the loneliness had gone.

Even though I was still on my own! It was suddenly no longer a problem! These days I love my own company, I can spend literally weeks and weeks all on my own luxuriating in self-indulgent solitude. It was very challenging working through the feelings of loneliness, and didn't happen overnight, but it was not nearly as challenging as half a lifetime of dysfunctional relationships, which never addressed the root loneliness anyway, actually in fact there is nowhere more lonely than an abusive relationship.

Because simply allowing myself to let the feelings in and feel them worked so effectively I have applied it to many things, including depression (I have to say, that one was probably the most challenging to to actually resolve by this method).

Here's a bunch of insights I had about how "allowing" the feeling has a sort of transformational effect on one's mind, where it refutes and transforms the scratched record mind story that often accompanies suppressed feelings:

* it takes a fearless person to feel their fear
* it takes an honourable person to feel their shame (process religious conditioning)
* it takes a hopeful person to feel their feelings of hopelessness (process depression)
* etc etc

Note: I'm sure this "have at ye, feelings!" med-free approach does not work for everyone, I am sure some people have underlying biological causes which need to be addressed, or perhaps don't have the personal resources to allow themselves to unravel somewhat, which is what I felt was happening when I "allowed" my feelings of depression and stopped fighting them.

I think people should be guided by their hunches about what might be the most appropriate strategy for themselves.

Phil X
15-08-2014, 08:39 AM
During the last month I surfed and participated in the Social Anxiety Support community http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/

The forum is a nice place to get advice and support. There's also a good Agnostics/Atheists support subforum. Honestly, after a couple weeks there it felt like I was in a mental ward. Some people are very, very depressed there and they lack the basic, rational tools to even begin to pull their necks out of the water. No later than last night in the chatroom, I got harrassed by a stranger who threatened to kill himself if I didn't show that I cared about him after he told me his story of heartbreak and parental abuse.

I was shocked, and very saddened that some people would sink so low. But it was a good lesson for me that at least I am responsible for myself and my own actions, unlike many other poor, lost souls out there.
[+] 1 user Likes Thanh's post
15-08-2014, 08:43 AM
(15-08-2014 08:39 AM)Thanh Wrote:  I got harrassed by a stranger who threatened to kill himself if I didn't show that I cared about him after he told me his story of heartbreak and parental abuse.

If he chooses to kill himself then it's his decision. He can't palm off the responsibility on someone else.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-09-2014, 04:51 PM
What If Everything We Know About Treating Depression Is Wrong?

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm currently depressed and taking Lexapro. My head is foggy and hurts a lot, makes it hard to think and do things. I've been trying a lot of medications with aid of a psychiatrist and some meds to stop my head hurting with my doctor.

I'm tired of feeling like shit all the time.
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
(02-09-2014 05:31 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I'm currently depressed and taking Lexapro. My head is foggy and hurts a lot, makes it hard to think and do things. I've been trying a lot of medications with aid of a psychiatrist and some meds to stop my head hurting with my doctor.

Lexapro has been a wonder drug for me. How long have you been on it?

Of course, we are all different and different things work for each of us. I take a very small dose which allows me to stop taking it from time to time without dealing with withdrawal.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.”
― Mineko Iwasaki
02-09-2014, 05:40 PM
(02-09-2014 05:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 05:31 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I'm currently depressed and taking Lexapro. My head is foggy and hurts a lot, makes it hard to think and do things. I've been trying a lot of medications with aid of a psychiatrist and some meds to stop my head hurting with my doctor.

Lexapro has been a wonder drug for me. How long have you been on it?

Of course, we are all different and different things work for each of us. I take a very small dose which allows me to stop taking it from time to time without dealing with withdrawal.

About two months. After I had my first two weeks, I thought things were turning around. I was doing things. However, it's possible it was me just feeling good because of the Zoloft I was alternating between. I may suggest going back to Zoloft as it probably was just starting to work, or try out combining the two.

I've been through a lot of meds and practically none of them do anything for me or give any side effects.