The Depression/Anxiety Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: The Depression/Anxiety Thread
(02-09-2014 05:40 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 05:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Lexapro has been a wonder drug for me. How long have you been on it?

Of course, we are all different and different things work for each of us. I take a very small dose which allows me to stop taking it from time to time without dealing with withdrawal.

About two months. After I had my first two weeks, I thought things were turning around. I was doing things. However, it's possible it was me just feeling good because of the Zoloft I was alternating between. I may suggest going back to Zoloft as it probably was just starting to work, or try out combining the two.

I've been through a lot of meds and practically none of them do anything for me or give any side effects.

I have been through several of them myself. Zoloft didn't work for me. Give the Lexapro a chance but I wouldn't suggest mixing the two unless your doctor says to. It's possible that you would do better on a higher dose after the initial weeks are done.

I have been able to do okay with 10 mg a day though they say I could take much more. More makes me groggy in the morning.

It is trial and error to find the right thing. Hang in there!

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2014, 04:19 PM
New blood test could be first to detect clinical depression

About time the witchdoctors got some proper diagnostic tools.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-09-2014, 04:53 PM
(17-09-2014 04:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  New blood test could be first to detect clinical depression

About time the witchdoctors got some proper diagnostic tools.

The bones and feathers were getting old. And the dancing, too.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Hello there,

I really don't know how to start this, I just need some guidance and advice.

To be perfectly honest, I don't identify as an atheist, I don't know what I believe. I was raised buddhist so I guess I loosely follow that. The reason I'm here is because I respect atheists and my boyfriend is one. For privacy reasons, let's call him Steve. Steve and I are both depressed, not officially diagnosed, but we just know that's what it is. I think I am dealing with my depression better than he is, I have really bad days, but most of the time, I'm able to manage it. Steve however is at the point where he speaks about suicide often. He tells me he would never do it though because he fears dying, but he's just suffering so much.

I feel so lost when he talks about his depression and anxiety. I want to comfort him, but I know that when you're in that mindset, its hard to believe in any hope or comfort from anyone else. We agreed to look into therapy but Steve is super pessimistic. He is afraid of being on medication that will change him..

Is there any book or material you can suggest for me to show him that hes not alone in this? I tried linking him to this book by Eric Maisel called "Why Smart People Hurt: A Guide for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative" but argues that he isn't smart and that I was obligated to tell him he is. I'm not, and I sincerely believe he is an intelligent person. He's logical and loves researching things before talking about it. He is one of the most unbiased people I know. But he has self esteem issues where he doesn't want to draw attention to himself but he does care awfully lot about how he is perceived so he puts a lot of effort into looking his best. He had bad experiences as a kid in school because he was placed in class with the "slow" kids because teachers didn't try to understand or really help him so he's super insecure about his intelligence now.

He tells me how much he hates work (hes a web developer for a marketing agency), and how much he wishes to go back to school but he feels he's too old (32) but when I suggest he take out a loan and go back, he refuses. He keeps telling me things are impossible when they aren't but I don't know how to make him believe me. When I suggest things, he usually shoots them down with excuses. Its so frustrating but I try to be patient and supportive.

I am trying so hard to help him, but I don't know what else to do and I'm afraid he will end his life if he doesn't have any hope that it will get better. Sometimes, I feel like he doesn't believe me because I might not be as logical as he is, I am more emotional and sensitive.

I'm sorry if I'm all over the place in this post. I just thought I would seek advice from other atheists to see if anyone out there can give me advice on a better way to go about this and help him. Thanks.
12-06-2015, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 02:29 PM by Worom.)
(12-06-2015 12:34 PM)Tweedlebug Wrote:  Hello there,

To be perfectly honest, I don't identify as an atheist, I don't know what I believe. I was raised buddhist so I guess I loosely follow that. The reason I'm here is because I respect atheists and my boyfriend is one. For privacy reasons, let's call him Steve. Steve and I are both depressed, not officially diagnosed, but we just know that's what it is. I think I am dealing with my depression better than he is, I have really bad days, but most of the time, I'm able to manage it. Steve however is at the point where he speaks about suicide often. He tells me he would never do it though because he fears dying, but he's just suffering so much.

I feel so lost when he talks about his depression and anxiety. I want to comfort him, but I know that when you're in that mindset, its hard to believe in any hope or comfort from anyone else. We agreed to look into therapy but Steve is super pessimistic. He is afraid of being on medication that will change him..

Is there any book or material you can suggest for me to show him that hes not alone in this? I tried linking him to this book by Eric Maisel called "Why Smart People Hurt: A Guide for the Bright, the Sensitive, and the Creative" but argues that he isn't smart and that I was obligated to tell him he is. I'm not, and I sincerely believe he is an intelligent person. He's logical and loves researching things before talking about it. He is one of the most unbiased people I know. But he has self esteem issues where he doesn't want to draw attention to himself but he does care awfully lot about how he is perceived so he puts a lot of effort into looking his best. He had bad experiences as a kid in school because he was placed in class with the "slow" kids because teachers didn't try to understand or really help him so he's super insecure about his intelligence now.

He tells me how much he hates work (hes a web developer for a marketing agency), and how much he wishes to go back to school but he feels he's too old (32) but when I suggest he take out a loan and go back, he refuses. He keeps telling me things are impossible when they aren't but I don't know how to make him believe me. When I suggest things, he usually shoots them down with excuses. Its so frustrating but I try to be patient and supportive.

I am trying so hard to help him, but I don't know what else to do and I'm afraid he will end his life if he doesn't have any hope that it will get better. Sometimes, I feel like he doesn't believe me because I might not be as logical as he is, I am more emotional and sensitive.

I'm sorry if I'm all over the place in this post. I just thought I would seek advice from other atheists to see if anyone out there can give me advice on a better way to go about this and help him. Thanks.

First welcome to TTA, Second if you or your boyfriend are contemplating suicide please call (800) 273-8255 its the national suicide prevention hotline in the States, you can call for yourself and your boyfriend as well, they will give you guidance for yourself and on how to help your boyfriend even though he is saying he would never do it please still call them just having the thoughts is enough reason to call the prevention line. Here is their website as well http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org...meone.aspx

I don't really have any books I can recommend but I have gone through several bouts of depression myself, from standard clinical depression to major depressive disorder, to even thinking about suicide years ago. Things do get better, seeing a therapist is something I would definitely recommend even a primary care doctor can help. I have taken many different medications in the past celexa, lexapro, and a couple others I can't remember. They didn't change me as a person but they did level me out a good bit where the negative thoughts stopped, and over time I was able to stop taking the medication under the recommendation and supervision of my doctor.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
12-06-2015, 03:03 PM
(12-06-2015 12:34 PM)Tweedlebug Wrote:  Hello there,

From my own experience I'd say seek help from a doctor. Though I have to admit I have no clue about how things are in The States. My own "journey" through a tough depression and the ongoing one through the stuff that got uncovered would not be possible without help from the medical system.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post