The Devil's Advocate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2016, 12:39 AM
The Devil's Advocate
As many of you know, I've been defending Trump in this section for a while now for seemingly no good reason. It took a surprisingly long amount of time until someone pointed out that this doesn't make any sense. Anyone who has talked to me a couple of times knows that I'm politically left-wing and strongly against private gun ownership. Why then would I support a candidate who is the polar opposite of that, one who repeatedly says that the 2nd amendment should not be touched in any way? Well, as requested by Dom and others, I'll post my response to that question from a different thread here so that those who haven't seen it yet can see it. The tl;dr version is that no, I'm not actually supporting Trump, or Bernie or any other presidential candidate who is running for office this year. I think they're all terrible for their own reasons.

(11-03-2016 05:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 03:15 PM)carol Wrote:  I started with his intro, then looked down the line at the general posts over the years- did not have to read each one, but read several hours of them. No assholeness...bright, well read, thoughtful...I do not understand The 'why" behind it though- bored? trolling or joking or testing people?..just fucking with people?

Vosur, what why ?
The primary motivation behind it was curiosity. I've been following the U.S. presidential race with great interest for about half a year now. I wasn't lying when I said that it is unlike anything I've ever seen in politics before. The political system we have in Germany is very boring for the average citizen. We don't even get to vote directly for our head of state so it's very difficult for personality cults to follow the way they do in the US. Both Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have their own fiercely loyal personality cults and while I think that neither of them are fit to be president, I'm fascinated by their ability to manipulate the masses into supporting them based on unrealistic promises. Their rallies are attended by thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of people, something that none of the other candidates in this election cycle have been able to achieve.

I spend most of my day at work reading posts on the forums of Sanders and Trump supporters and watching the rallies and debates of these candidates (though I have to say that the Democratic debates make for lousy entertainment). Based on that experience, I know that the (online) supporters of both candidates are very protective of them and react with varying degrees of hostility if either their candidate is attacked or the candidate from the other political spectrum is promoted as a better alternative. I was curious to see what would happen if I advocated for Trump in a place that I knew to be politically liberal and most likely supportive of Bernie (It was only an assumption at first, but it turned out to be true later on). I started out mildly at first and didn't get much of a reaction as a result, but I found that the more outlandishly and aggressively I pushed for him, the more hostile the people here would become. Unfortunately for me, long-time members of this forum like Dom started to notice the sudden change in behavior and then GirlyMan sealed the deal by repeatedly calling me out on it.

Anyway, my money is still on Trump for the White House. I don't think he should become president, but the longer I follow this race, the more inevitable his presidency seems to me. Just like GirlyMan said, I know all about nationalistic populist leaders and believe me when I say that their rise to power is very difficult to stop once they get going. "You Can't Stump The Trump" isn't just a meme, it's a reality of this election cycle. His movement consists of the most loyal people I've ever seen and it only grows stronger with every passing day. There was a point in time when he could have been stopped, but that point has long passed.

I sincerely hope for all of my American friends that the anti-establishment movement that Bernie and Trump started will give birth to an outsider candidate who can offer a moderate alternative to their extreme left-wing and right-wing positions.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-03-2016, 02:17 AM
RE: The Devil's Advocate
We all make mistakes.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-03-2016, 02:45 AM
... Well I hope you had fun 'cos I sure as hell got nothing from the exercise. I don't understand why you did it, even after your explanation. Would it have been so hard to discuss them normally instead of putting on this weird persona? I thought it was out of character but people do change. Whatever. I guess. Anyway, I'm glad you're not really an idiot.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-03-2016, 02:57 AM
So Vosur pulled a Borat?

[Image: Borat]

Uh, great?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-03-2016, 03:38 AM
Thanks mate. That image will haunt me.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
14-03-2016, 03:42 AM
(14-03-2016 03:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Thanks mate. That image will haunt me.

Now imagine Donald Drumf and his comb-over in a banana-hammock.

You're welcome.

14-03-2016, 04:01 AM
(14-03-2016 03:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-03-2016 03:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Thanks mate. That image will haunt me.

Now imagine Donald Drumf and his comb-over in a banana-hammock.

You're welcome.

You're killing me.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-03-2016, 04:04 AM
(14-03-2016 04:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  You're killing me.

Well, you're still posting, so evidently I'm not trying hard enough. Tongue

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-03-2016, 04:34 AM
(14-03-2016 12:39 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It took a surprisingly long amount of time until someone pointed out that this doesn't make any sense.

You know that's a lie Tongue

Unless private conversations don't count.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
14-03-2016, 05:00 AM
(14-03-2016 04:34 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  You know that's a lie Tongue

Unless private conversations don't count.
They don't. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post