The Domestication of God
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2010, 07:51 AM
The Domestication of God
Not sure how many of you visit the secular web, but I check in there pretty often. There's a great new article up that pretty much sums up what I've always speculated happened in the evolution of society, theism, and the history of religion.

It's a pretty quick read, but worth it.

Also, there doesn't seem to be many (if any) sources cited, so this may just be pure speculation on the part of this historian, based on some of his own studies.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
RE: The Domestication of God
I skimmed through most of the article, with the intent that I'll read it a bit more in-depth later on.

From the onset, the only thing going through my mind is 'why don't religions just change their thinking?' Simply put, focus on humanity and all of its successes and failures, as the core of each belief, and not an imaginary friend. I'd like to think that we've come a long way as a species to no longer need the threat of eternal damnation to be 'good' to one another.

We established civil laws that punish us when we do wrong (e.g. robbery, murder, abuse). There is nothing in the bible (nay, nothing in religion) that can or should be applied to human living and existence.

SixthGlass, in the "Why the Bible is repulsive" post, you stated:

Quote:"Now, as far as the Bible goes, there are some nice things in there, and there's some fun stuff from a fiction standpoint"

Although I would agree there may be some teachings in there that MAY be useful, the bible wouldn't be the first or only book I would look to for life lessons. As Christopher Hitchens had stated in the past (I'm paraphrasing here), "...Shakespeare, Tolstoy, and George Eliot, whose moral insights are more valuable than anything we can learn from Scripture." I would have to agree with Mr. Hitchens.

The fact that religions are either changing slowly or not at all clearly marks their demise. If not in 10 years, in 50 years they will all be crying for believers.
Quote this message in a reply