The "Don't" of Travel :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 12:26 PM by izel.)
The "Don't" of Travel :)
As many of you already know, I work in a Hotel. I deal with people from around the world, and being in the front desk, I get asked some questions that boggles my mind.

So I thought, I bring it up here, and who knows, maybe it will help some of you when you travel to other countries, and hopefully, it will help me understand better those questions. Smile So shall we?

Blocks:
This is one of my worse nightmares. I get asked directions all the time, and it's fine, I know my city, I grew up in these streets. But what the fuck kind of measurement unit is blocks? "How many blocks from here?" We do not have blocks here, we have meters and kilometers, and we'll even be happy to translate it to miles and feet, but please, don't ever ask anybody about "blocks"...

What do you think of my country?
You already know who asks this question don't you? Yes, you Americans Smile. Why do you care? Why is it so important to you what I think of your country? I don't know much about your country, except what I seen in the movies. Get over it Smile

Drink coffee the right way
Don’t look for Starbucks here. All though, we have plenty of them, they are mostly tourist traps. Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

Smoking
The concept of personal space means very different things in different countries. You kind of have to get used to that. Like it or not, you have to be somewhat tolerant of smoking. I get complains about smokers outside all the time. I can NOT do anything about it. There are lots of places in the world that haven’t picked up on the Western anti-smoking crusade, we are one of them, and believe me when I say this but a lot of people smoke here. Don't be shocked when you see a 10 year old with a cigarette in his mouth, If this is hard for you to accept, you’ll likely be frustrated.

Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

Hello my friend
Turkish people are very friendly, and Turkish hospitality is well known. But watch out for the men who take advantage of that friendly nature. Find out why "Hello my friend" is not always what you want to hear first, before you accept invitation to their house for a tea or coffee.

So that is all that's in my head as of now, if I think of anything else, I'll add it here. Smile Share some of your travel stories, and hopefully this will be educational for all of us Wink

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like izel's post
08-12-2015, 11:55 AM
RE: The "Don't" of Travel :)
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  As many of you already know, I work in a Hotel. I deal with people from around the world, and being in the front desk, I get asked some questions that boggles my mind.

So I thought, I bring it up here, and who knows, maybe it will help some of you when you travel to other countries, and hopefully, it will help me understand better those questions. Smile So shall we?

Blocks:
This is one of my worse nightmares. I get asked directions all the time, and it's fine, I know my city, I grew up in these streets. But what the fuck kind of measurement unit is blocks? "How many blocks from here?" We do not have blocks here, we have meters and kilometers, and we'll even be happy to translate it to miles and feet, but please, don't ever ask any body about "blocks"...

What do you think of my country?
You already know who asks this question don't you? Yes, you Americans Smile. Why do you care? Why is it so important to you what I think of your country? I don't know much about your country, except what I seen in the movies. Get over it Smile

Drink coffee the right way
Don’t look for Starbucks in here. All though, we have plenty of them here, they are mostly tourists traps. Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

Smoking
The concept of personal space means very different things in different countries. You kind of have to get used to that. Like it or not, you have to be somewhat tolerant of smoking. I get complains about smokers outside all the time. I can NOT do anything about it. There are lots of places in the world that haven’t picked up on the Western anti-smoking crusade, we are one of them, and believe me when I say this but a lot of people smoke here. Don't be shocked when you see a 10 year old with a cigarette in his mouth, If this is hard for you to accept, you’ll likely be frustrated.

Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

Hello my friend
Turkish people are very friendly, and Turkish hospitality is well known. But watch out for the men who take advantage of that friendly nature. Find out why "Hello my friend" is not always what you want to hear first, before you accept invitation to their house for a tea or coffee.

So that is all that's in my head as of now, if I think of anything else, I'll add it here. Smile Share some of your travel stories, and hopefully this will be educational for all of us Wink

My don'ts of traveling. lol

1. Don't travel

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
08-12-2015, 11:57 AM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

I know Moroccans and Ethiopians who would call those fighting words...

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
08-12-2015, 11:57 AM
(08-12-2015 11:55 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  My don'ts of traveling. lol

1. Don't travel

No, no, no. Get out of the bubble Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 5 users Like izel's post
08-12-2015, 11:59 AM
(08-12-2015 11:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

I know Moroccans and Ethiopians who would call those fighting words...
But yet, its called Turkish coffee Wink

1 Like = 1 Prayer
08-12-2015, 12:00 PM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  Blocks:
This is one of my worse nightmares. I get asked directions all the time, and it's fine, I know my city, I grew up in these streets. But what the fuck kind of measurement unit is blocks? "How many blocks from here?" We do not have blocks here, we have meters and kilometers, and we'll even be happy to translate it to miles and feet, but please, don't ever ask any body about "blocks"...

Blocks are defined by intersections - two blocks is two cross streets away. Most American cities are based around a grid layout. The advantage is that you can navigate without any other reference points.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
08-12-2015, 12:01 PM
(08-12-2015 11:57 AM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:55 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  My don'ts of traveling. lol

1. Don't travel

No, no, no. Get out of the bubble Smile

Can't afford to leave my bubble lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-12-2015, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 12:08 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
Don't go to another country without learning some basics of the culture.

Don't go without learning some of the language. How would you feel if someone walked up to you where you live and started speaking in a language you do not speak? Even learning just basics along the line of excuse me, please and thank you go a long way.

Don't complain to the locals about their customs and proceed to tell them they should change to meet the norms of your country. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 5 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
08-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Blocks is a pretty standard measure of distance in America, at least within cities (it would be meaningless in rural areas). Cities are typically laid out as a grid of streets crossing each other. As you travel along any given street, the distance between one cross street and the next is one block. There are typically ten blocks per mile, although this can vary. This is a very convenient and common measure when traveling short distances within a city.

Of course, this only works within a city. Nobody would ask how many blocks it is from Chicago to Dallas.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-12-2015, 12:05 PM
(08-12-2015 12:00 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Blocks are defined by intersections - two blocks is two cross streets away. Most American cities are based around a grid layout. The advantage is that you can navigate without any other reference points.
Yea blocks won't work around here, there is no such a thing as "grid layout" Laugh out load
(08-12-2015 12:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Can't afford to leave my bubble lol

No

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post