The "Don't" of Travel :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 12:06 PM
RE: The "Don't" of Travel :)
don't get a rental car in most countries, ever.
The downsides far outweigh the upside.
It can get stolen.
You can get is a wreck through no fault of your own.
parking is a nightmare. Think about how bad it can be in your own country, then multiply tenfold for the lack of familiarity.
get in the bus, taxi, train, plane and relax. Read a book. take a nap.
Of course there are exceptions. I was comfortable renting a car and driving on the wrong side of the road in the UK because english. Smile
I only did so to traverse across the north and into and around Scotland. Never for down south and into London.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-12-2015, 12:07 PM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  What do you think of my country?
You already know who asks this question don't you? Yes, you Americans Smile. Why do you care? Why is it so important to you what I think of your country? I don't know much about your country, except what I seen in the movies. Get over it Smile
While working as a VIP host at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, I'd get asked this question by non-Americans quite regularly. To be fair, it was usually after they found out I'd actually traveled to their home countries Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-12-2015, 12:07 PM
(08-12-2015 12:04 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Don't go to another country without learning some basics of the culture.

Don't go without learning some of the language. How would you feel if someone walked up to you where you live and started speaking in a language you do not speak. Even learning just basics along the line of excuse me, please and thank you go a long way.

Don't complain to the locals about their customs and proceed to tell them they should change to meet the norms of your country. Drinking Beverage

Pfft. Everybody knows how to speak English so long as it's loud enough and slow enough!

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
08-12-2015, 12:08 PM
(08-12-2015 12:04 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Don't go to another country without learning some basics of the culture.

Don't go without learning some of the language. How would you feel if someone walked up to you where you live and started speaking in a language you do not speak. Even learning just basics along the line of excuse me, please and thank you go a long way.

Don't complain to the locals about their customs and proceed to tell them they should change to meet the norms of your country. Drinking Beverage

Glad you mentioned that. People get aggravated when you don't speak their language. People are not stupid just because they don’t speak your language or think like you do.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
08-12-2015, 12:16 PM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  As many of you already know, I work in a Hotel. I deal with people from around the world, and being in the front desk, I get asked some questions that boggles my mind.

So I thought, I bring it up here, and who knows, maybe it will help some of you when you travel to other countries, and hopefully, it will help me understand better those questions. Smile So shall we?

Blocks:
This is one of my worse nightmares. I get asked directions all the time, and it's fine, I know my city, I grew up in these streets. But what the fuck kind of measurement unit is blocks? "How many blocks from here?" We do not have blocks here, we have meters and kilometers, and we'll even be happy to translate it to miles and feet, but please, don't ever ask any body about "blocks"...

What do you think of my country?
You already know who asks this question don't you? Yes, you Americans Smile. Why do you care? Why is it so important to you what I think of your country? I don't know much about your country, except what I seen in the movies. Get over it Smile

Drink coffee the right way
Don’t look for Starbucks in here. All though, we have plenty of them here, they are mostly tourists traps. Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

Smoking
The concept of personal space means very different things in different countries. You kind of have to get used to that. Like it or not, you have to be somewhat tolerant of smoking. I get complains about smokers outside all the time. I can NOT do anything about it. There are lots of places in the world that haven’t picked up on the Western anti-smoking crusade, we are one of them, and believe me when I say this but a lot of people smoke here. Don't be shocked when you see a 10 year old with a cigarette in his mouth, If this is hard for you to accept, you’ll likely be frustrated.

Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

Hello my friend
Turkish people are very friendly, and Turkish hospitality is well known. But watch out for the men who take advantage of that friendly nature. Find out why "Hello my friend" is not always what you want to hear first, before you accept invitation to their house for a tea or coffee.

So that is all that's in my head as of now, if I think of anything else, I'll add it here. Smile Share some of your travel stories, and hopefully this will be educational for all of us Wink

I've been to Turkey, Alanya to be precise. Rather mixed emotions about it to be honest.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-12-2015, 12:16 PM
(08-12-2015 12:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Pfft. Everybody knows how to speak English so long as it's loud enough and slow enough!

Here is an example of that Laugh out load its a show making fun of the lack of English in this country Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
08-12-2015, 12:20 PM
(08-12-2015 12:16 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I've been to Turkey, Alanya to be precise. Rather mixed emotions about it to be honest.

Alanya is OK, nothing special though. Antalya or Bodrum are better around same area.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
08-12-2015, 12:28 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is with this one. It may seem self-centered at first glance, but it could just be genuine curiosity about how foreigners view their country, and I'd say that's an entirely understandable question.

08-12-2015, 12:34 PM
(08-12-2015 12:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

I'm not sure what the issue is with this one. It may seem self-centered at first glance, but it could just be genuine curiosity about how foreigners view their country, and I'd say that's an entirely understandable question.

Yea but not everybody knows everything about your country Smile. I can not have an opinion about a place I don't know much about. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit and see what is like. Also be careful about calling people "locals." Don’t assume that your culture and country is superior and that everybody has to know who America is.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 4 users Like izel's post
08-12-2015, 12:42 PM
(08-12-2015 12:34 PM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 12:28 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'm not sure what the issue is with this one. It may seem self-centered at first glance, but it could just be genuine curiosity about how foreigners view their country, and I'd say that's an entirely understandable question.

Don’t assume that your culture and country is superior and that everybody has to know who America is.

I think this is good advice. I think it's very easy to become ethnocentric when you are traveling or doing anything that involves another culture really. I love learning about the traditions and way of life of other cultures. If you dismiss things based on the "standards" of your own culture--you'll miss some of that.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post