The "Don't" of Travel :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 12:55 PM
RE: The "Don't" of Travel :)
(08-12-2015 12:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 12:34 PM)izel Wrote:  Don’t assume that your culture and country is superior and that everybody has to know who America is.

I think this is good advice. I think it's very easy to become ethnocentric when you are traveling or doing anything that involves another culture really. I love learning about the traditions and way of life of other cultures. If you dismiss things based on the "standards" of your own culture--you'll miss some of that.

It just seems to me that and, I have a hard time to say it because I don't like to insult anyone, but Americans in general are very conceited about their country. They often brag about how free they are, "the American Freedom" when in reality, no you are not. Most other nations are way ahead on that aspect. It's OK to love your country, absolutely nothing wrong with it, but its cheeky how much they like to brag about it Smile I don't know maybe its just me, but I only notice this in American travelers, I don't hear much about other countries, as most people are here to enjoy this one, not brag about theirs.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
08-12-2015, 01:01 PM
(08-12-2015 12:55 PM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 12:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think this is good advice. I think it's very easy to become ethnocentric when you are traveling or doing anything that involves another culture really. I love learning about the traditions and way of life of other cultures. If you dismiss things based on the "standards" of your own culture--you'll miss some of that.

It just seems to me that and, I have a hard time to say it because I don't like to insult anyone, but Americans in general are very conceited about their country. They often brag about how free they are, "the American Freedom" when in reality, no you are not. Most other nations are way ahead on that aspect. It's OK to love your country, absolutely nothing wrong with it, but its cheeky how much they like to brag about it Smile I don't know maybe its just me, but I only notice this in American travelers, I don't hear much about other countries, as most people are here to enjoy this one, not brag about theirs.

As an American I want to formally apologize for those idiots.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
08-12-2015, 01:05 PM
I never got that either.
On a sad note, I won't get my wife to any foreign lands in the near future. Too much fearmongering about everything these days. I'll have to be content with NZ, Australia, UK and maybe a bit of the continent. I'd love to go to Thailand for example, but I think that would be a dealbreaker.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-12-2015, 01:06 PM
(08-12-2015 01:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 12:55 PM)izel Wrote:  It just seems to me that and, I have a hard time to say it because I don't like to insult anyone, but Americans in general are very conceited about their country. They often brag about how free they are, "the American Freedom" when in reality, no you are not. Most other nations are way ahead on that aspect. It's OK to love your country, absolutely nothing wrong with it, but its cheeky how much they like to brag about it Smile I don't know maybe its just me, but I only notice this in American travelers, I don't hear much about other countries, as most people are here to enjoy this one, not brag about theirs.

As an American I want to formally apologize for those idiots.

hahahaha don't apologize, its not always but, more often than not Smile I guess sometimes it mostly depending on my mood. I often "go with the flow" and agree with whatever they got to say. But sometimes I give them peace of my mind. But my goal with this post is not to point out what I see everyday, perhaps is my curiosity and the hunger to learn as why I get those questions Smile

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
08-12-2015, 01:08 PM
You probably get those questions cause Americans think the world dislikes us. I don't know how true that actually is but I guess we're self conscious...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
08-12-2015, 01:10 PM
(08-12-2015 01:06 PM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 01:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  As an American I want to formally apologize for those idiots.

hahahaha don't apologize, its not always but, more often than not Smile I guess sometimes it mostly depending on my mood. I often "go with the flow" and agree with whatever they got to say. But sometimes I give them peace of my mind. But my goal with this post is not to point out what I see everyday, perhaps is my curiosity and the hunger to learn as why I get those questions Smile

If it were me I would be too busy making puns like "Turkey is nice but I like Ham better".

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
08-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Just as the UK did, we had and have our commercial interests everywhere. We muddle in politics and people's lives, and that is not easily forgotten.
08-12-2015, 01:12 PM
(08-12-2015 01:05 PM)skyking Wrote:  I never got that either.
On a sad note, I won't get my wife to any foreign lands in the near future. Too much fearmongering about everything these days. I'll have to be content with NZ, Australia, UK and maybe a bit of the continent. I'd love to go to Thailand for example, but I think that would be a dealbreaker.

Turkey is a country with so much diversity in culture, traditions, landscapes, people, cuisine, history, art and has boundless adventure opportunities. It has been in the news for the wrong reasons lately, and you have a right to wonder if it's safe to visit. Be assured, with apporopriate care and attention there's no reason not to. Turks have been welcoming travelers for centuries! Women will have no issues traveling alone or in small groups. Indeed you will see stylish women wearing headscarves, no scarves, miniskirts and even traditional village dresses. I also think the government should hire me as their tourism expert. I mean, look how good I advertise my country hahahaha

1 Like = 1 Prayer
08-12-2015, 01:14 PM
(08-12-2015 01:08 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  You probably get those questions cause Americans think the world dislikes us. I don't know how true that actually is but I guess we're self conscious...

I think you are right on the point with that. But its not true, most people here would like nothing more than having the opportunity to visit that country. We may not agree with your politics, but we don't agree with ours either so Facepalm

(08-12-2015 01:10 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  If it were me I would be too busy making puns like "Turkey is nice but I like Ham better".

Do not say that here hahaha

1 Like = 1 Prayer
08-12-2015, 01:17 PM
I was Turkey many years ago, early 90's, and I enjoyed it. I really got into Turkish black tea more so than coffee. I visited lots of different places. My favourite was a visit to Ephesus and Cappadocia. I found the people very friendly. I had tea with some of the locals in Kayseri, they even brought me to visit a mosque.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post