The "Don't" of Travel :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 02:50 PM
RE: The "Don't" of Travel :)
(08-12-2015 01:26 PM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 01:17 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I was Turkey many years ago, early 90's, and I enjoyed it. I really got into Turkish black tea more so than coffee. I visited lots of different places. My favourite was a visit to Ephesus and Cappadocia. I found the people very friendly. I had tea with some of the locals in Kayseri, they even brought me to visit a mosque.

I live literally 15 minutes away from Ephesus Laugh out load

I'm literally so jealous right now Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2015, 02:54 PM
(08-12-2015 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 01:26 PM)izel Wrote:  I live literally 15 minutes away from Ephesus Laugh out load

I'm literally so jealous right now Weeping

Believe it or not, last time I been to Ephesus was with school when I was 14 Laugh out load. People are always shocked to hear that but, I live here, I'm not a tourist, also I try to stay away from touristic hot spots on my time away from work Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
08-12-2015, 03:01 PM
No kidding. we want to go where you hang out to avoid us. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-12-2015, 03:01 PM
(08-12-2015 02:54 PM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm literally so jealous right now Weeping

Believe it or not, last time I been to Ephesus was with school when I was 14 Laugh out load. People are always shocked to hear that but, I live here, I'm not a tourist, also I try to stay away from touristic hot spots on my time away from work Laugh out load

No, that I don't have a problem with... Just if *I* lived there I would go. I've been fascinated with Greek stuff since I was a kid. What the hell, right? Actually we have some very nice iron age forts and older stuff around Zim/SA, but somehow they never caught my imagination in the same way.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-12-2015, 03:05 PM
I was in Ephesus in April, 2014. It was a wonderful trip. We also flew around in the balloons in Cappadocia. I loved it and I loved crawling through those tiny tunnels in the underground city. Turkey is a wonderful country.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
08-12-2015, 03:06 PM
(08-12-2015 03:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 02:54 PM)izel Wrote:  Believe it or not, last time I been to Ephesus was with school when I was 14 Laugh out load. People are always shocked to hear that but, I live here, I'm not a tourist, also I try to stay away from touristic hot spots on my time away from work Laugh out load

No, that I don't have a problem with... Just if *I* lived there I would go. I've been fascinated with Greek stuff since I was a kid. What the hell, right? Actually we have some very nice iron age forts and older stuff around Zim/SA, but somehow they never caught my imagination in the same way.
Its quite normal to be fascinated by ancient Greeks. They build some of the greatest monuments, even with today's standards. And there is a lot of Greek culture here, untouched by time. I think best thing my ancestors did is, not destroy the Greek culture, instead they embraced it.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
08-12-2015, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 03:40 PM by Full Circle.)
I love to travel both overseas and in the US. Some learnings I’ve picked up along the way (a few already mentioned).

DO read up on the country and customs.

DO try and learn some basic phrases, the locals appreciate the effort. More than once I have attempted to communicate in the local language, completely butchering it and then the person addressed me in English with a smile on their face. Everyone got a laugh out of it and immediately created a bond.

DON’T think your way is better, superior or global. I can’t begin to count how many better ideas, designs and customs I have found to be an improvement on the way we do things at home.

DO try the local customs, food whatever...if you aren’t going to then why the hell travel at all? I am appalled by how Americans will go overseas and the first thing they look for is a McDonald’s...wtf? Cruise ships are another nemesis to getting the flavor of a country. You are in a floating cocoon insulated from the culture, why would you travel like this? When in Rome...

DON’T think the proverbial “ugly American” can only be found overseas. I live in a tourist destination in South Florida and the amount of shit I see and hear is laughable and faceplamingly stupid.
In the South you can see bumper stickers that say things like, “We don’t care how you do it up North”, and “Not all of us are here on vacation”, “Glad you came, now leave”.

DO scan all your important documents and keep them on your smartphone or computer in the event they are lost or stolen.

DON’T flash your cash or jewlery. Americans are thought to be uber-rich in many parts of the world, don’t make yourself a target.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
08-12-2015, 07:10 PM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

Facepalm No wonder.... that was a strange night.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
08-12-2015, 07:44 PM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  As many of you already know, I work in a Hotel. I deal with people from around the world, and being in the front desk, I get asked some questions that boggles my mind.

So I thought, I bring it up here, and who knows, maybe it will help some of you when you travel to other countries, and hopefully, it will help me understand better those questions. Smile So shall we?

Blocks:
This is one of my worse nightmares. I get asked directions all the time, and it's fine, I know my city, I grew up in these streets. But what the fuck kind of measurement unit is blocks? "How many blocks from here?" We do not have blocks here, we have meters and kilometers, and we'll even be happy to translate it to miles and feet, but please, don't ever ask anybody about "blocks"...

What do you think of my country?
You already know who asks this question don't you? Yes, you Americans Smile. Why do you care? Why is it so important to you what I think of your country? I don't know much about your country, except what I seen in the movies. Get over it Smile

Drink coffee the right way
Don’t look for Starbucks here. All though, we have plenty of them, they are mostly tourist traps. Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

Smoking
The concept of personal space means very different things in different countries. You kind of have to get used to that. Like it or not, you have to be somewhat tolerant of smoking. I get complains about smokers outside all the time. I can NOT do anything about it. There are lots of places in the world that haven’t picked up on the Western anti-smoking crusade, we are one of them, and believe me when I say this but a lot of people smoke here. Don't be shocked when you see a 10 year old with a cigarette in his mouth, If this is hard for you to accept, you’ll likely be frustrated.

Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

Hello my friend
Turkish people are very friendly, and Turkish hospitality is well known. But watch out for the men who take advantage of that friendly nature. Find out why "Hello my friend" is not always what you want to hear first, before you accept invitation to their house for a tea or coffee.

So that is all that's in my head as of now, if I think of anything else, I'll add it here. Smile Share some of your travel stories, and hopefully this will be educational for all of us Wink

So my tactic of:
*Wearing a U.S. flag colored shirt with "What do you think of my country?" written on the front, while
*asking how many blocks is it between here & there,
*as I take a drink of Turkish coffee out of a starbucks cup only to spit it out when a wiff of cigarette smoke hits my nose,
*and apologizing by saying "I'm sorry, my friend" and giving the thumbs-up hand signal,

won't endear me to the Turkish people? Sad I haz a sad! Weeping

Laugh out load I kid Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
(08-12-2015 07:10 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Facepalm No wonder.... that was a strange night.

Strange night doesn't sound bad, maybe scratch that from the list Laugh out load

(08-12-2015 07:44 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  So my tactic of:
*Wearing a U.S. flag colored shirt with "What do you think of my country?" written on the front, while
*asking how many blocks is it between here & there,
*as I take a drink of Turkish coffee out of a starbucks cup only to spit it out when a wiff of cigarette smoke hits my nose,
*and apologizing by saying "I'm sorry, my friend" and giving the thumbs-up hand signal,

won't endear me to the Turkish people? Sad I haz a sad! Weeping

Laugh out load I kid Tongue

Well what I did forgot to say is "unless you do all of those the same time". With that said, you're plan is good to go, people will have a good laugh and, you'll be making a lot of friends very quickly Wink

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 5 users Like izel's post