The "Don't" of Travel :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: The "Don't" of Travel :)
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  As many of you already know, I work in a Hotel. I deal with people from around the world, and being in the front desk, I get asked some questions that boggles my mind.

So I thought, I bring it up here, and who knows, maybe it will help some of you when you travel to other countries, and hopefully, it will help me understand better those questions. Smile So shall we?

Blocks:
This is one of my worse nightmares. I get asked directions all the time, and it's fine, I know my city, I grew up in these streets. But what the fuck kind of measurement unit is blocks? "How many blocks from here?" We do not have blocks here, we have meters and kilometers, and we'll even be happy to translate it to miles and feet, but please, don't ever ask anybody about "blocks"...

What do you think of my country?
You already know who asks this question don't you? Yes, you Americans Smile. Why do you care? Why is it so important to you what I think of your country? I don't know much about your country, except what I seen in the movies. Get over it Smile

Drink coffee the right way
Don’t look for Starbucks here. All though, we have plenty of them, they are mostly tourist traps. Go for a Turkish coffee, and find out why is the best coffee you'll ever have Smile

Smoking
The concept of personal space means very different things in different countries. You kind of have to get used to that. Like it or not, you have to be somewhat tolerant of smoking. I get complains about smokers outside all the time. I can NOT do anything about it. There are lots of places in the world that haven’t picked up on the Western anti-smoking crusade, we are one of them, and believe me when I say this but a lot of people smoke here. Don't be shocked when you see a 10 year old with a cigarette in his mouth, If this is hard for you to accept, you’ll likely be frustrated.

Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

Hello my friend
Turkish people are very friendly, and Turkish hospitality is well known. But watch out for the men who take advantage of that friendly nature. Find out why "Hello my friend" is not always what you want to hear first, before you accept invitation to their house for a tea or coffee.

So that is all that's in my head as of now, if I think of anything else, I'll add it here. Smile Share some of your travel stories, and hopefully this will be educational for all of us Wink

Generically, the thumb up is considered OK in the US. But if the person is pumping it up and down, he's telling you to put it in your corn hole.

Likewise for the circled thumb and forefinger- it means OK in the US, but can be symbolic of "asshole" if used differently.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-12-2015, 10:26 PM
(08-12-2015 09:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Likewise for the circled thumb and forefinger- it means OK in the US, but can be symbolic of "asshole" if used differently.
I learned that from my older sister who took interpreter training (for hearing impaired). Funny how similar those two are. Smile

We used to laugh at the tourists who thought quiche was something fancy and paid $5 for a serving.

And don't try to copy accents when you travel. I live in North Carolina. Don't try a Southern accent. Some of my cousins are from New York. Don't try a NY accent. It's annoying and you sound stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
08-12-2015, 10:45 PM
(08-12-2015 09:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Generically, the thumb up is considered OK in the US. But if the person is pumping it up and down, he's telling you to put it in your corn hole.

Likewise for the circled thumb and forefinger- it means OK in the US, but can be symbolic of "asshole" if used differently.

I'm quite surprised with the thumbs up thing - I thought it was almost universally recognised as a gesture of encouragement... What do people use instead?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-12-2015, 10:48 PM
(08-12-2015 10:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 09:08 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Generically, the thumb up is considered OK in the US. But if the person is pumping it up and down, he's telling you to put it in your corn hole.

I'm quite surprised with the thumbs up thing - I thought it was almost universally recognised as a gesture of encouragement... What do people use instead?
Dick salute for encouragement?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
08-12-2015, 11:18 PM
(08-12-2015 10:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  

This [Image: b135a1a767472e955e8d5fcd30ab8f10.png] is encouragement. This [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] is where bad ideas happen MD. A very, very bad ideas Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
08-12-2015, 11:42 PM
(08-12-2015 11:18 PM)izel Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 10:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm quite surprised with the thumbs up thing - I thought it was almost universally recognised as a gesture of encouragement... What do people use instead?

This [Image: b135a1a767472e955e8d5fcd30ab8f10.png] is encouragement. This [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] is where bad ideas happen MD. A very, very bad ideas Laugh out load

[Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png]

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-12-2015, 11:46 PM
(08-12-2015 11:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:18 PM)izel Wrote:  This [Image: b135a1a767472e955e8d5fcd30ab8f10.png] is encouragement. This [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] is where bad ideas happen MD. A very, very bad ideas Laugh out load

[Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png]

So, you like bad ideas I suppose? Laugh out load Facepalm

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
09-12-2015, 01:59 AM
Hand signs don't

1. Thumbs up
2. Ok sign.
3. Backwards peace Sign
4. bull horns
5. stop sign
6. normal peace sign
7. pointing at someone
8. the come here sign with index finger
9. cross fingers
10. fig sign
11. SMILE - its extremely offensive in Korea and other asian countries as they think you think that they are stupid.

[Image: traditions-customs-laws-around-the-world...advice.jpg]

Others

1. Do not ever EVER take a eye off your luggage.
2. Do not EVER agree to hold someones baby or take anything else from someone that would involve helping them take a picture, grab on something or follow them anywhere.
3. Never EVER try to talk to someone on the street that is not behind a counter or trying to sell you something...EVER! In the United States of America, we are the only country in the world where strangers ( especially ) Foreigners ever even think about considering talking to someone they don't already know in any kind of a friendly manner what so ever. Running up to someone and smiling and trying to start up a conversation with a stranger is one of the reasons they think we are overly friendly. TOO Friendly to be precise. So, don't ever talk to anyone not in service to you or trying to sell you something. Just don't.
4. Buy anything larger than what can be put in your suitcase.
5. Help anyone.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
09-12-2015, 02:30 AM
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  Hand gestures
This is for my American friends Smile be very careful with your hand gestures such as [Image: 9b91736b776daabcdeb6c83c2399d8d6.png] and the [Image: 421d6cc901063db39e964a9e5c0c68cd.png] sign. Both of these are highly provocative here, and in many other cultures.

But why are they provocative?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-12-2015, 03:13 AM
(09-12-2015 02:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:53 AM)izel Wrote:  Hand gestures

But why are they provocative?

OK Sign.

In Turkey, it means Zero and when directed at people it means you are worthless.

Thumbs Up!

Greece, Russia, Middle East it is the middle Finger, or meaning that you want to stick it up their ass.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ