The Downfall of Human Language

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 03:43 PM
The Downfall of Human Language
If you look at our languages, they are horribly inefficient. Taking English for example, we can only speak at most a few hundred words a minute, can only read a bit faster, and often misunderstand language constructs. We have accents that make understanding the words difficult at times. Some words have multiple meanings, and some meanings have multiple words. Spelling mistakes are very common, and so are grammatical mistakes. It's all a big, slow, cumbersome, overcomplicated mess.

And so I eventually see a replacement for our primitive human languages. It will definitely be quite a bit of time from the present, but eventually, English, Mandarin, French, Arabic, etc. will all be replaced by some more efficient form of communication. This may happen after we start making huge leaps in neuroscience, after we abandon many of the existing properties of our primitive mammalian brains.

Neuroscience will make great advances in the future, and language could very well be one of them. I don't know the nature of our future communication mediums, but it will be interesting.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 04:06 PM
RE: The Downfall of Human Language
(24-08-2012 03:43 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  If you look at our languages, they are horribly inefficient. Taking English for example, we can only speak at most a few hundred words a minute, can only read a bit faster

Those speeds seem fine, to me. They correlate closely to the speed that our brain works at. I find things like speed reading hideous. I like to stop, contemplate and think about the words that I'm reading... as I'm reading them. It is an enlightening thing and I am certain that I'm getting more out of the literature than those who plough through it as quickly as possible.

(24-08-2012 03:43 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  and often misunderstand language constructs. We have accents that make understanding the words difficult at times. Some words have multiple meanings, and some meanings have multiple words. Spelling mistakes are very common, and so are grammatical mistakes. It's all a big, slow, cumbersome, overcomplicated mess.

Regional accents? Variety is a good thing. It's certainly a whole lot better than the planet being one big homogeneous mass of uniformity. As for the difficulties of the language... could we ever get to a place when this species stops dumbing down absolutely everything?

If mediocrity and stupidity are to become our benchmark, we may as well give up now.

So much for evolution and improvement.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
24-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Meh. The singularity is only a few years away. See Kurzweil.
The elements are already being assembled/invented/created today, (technology).
It will likely be implated. The parabolic increase will raise human intelligence, and leave this problem in the dust.

There was an interesting segment on Science Friday today, (NPR), about the origins of the Indo-European languages, if you're into that junk.
(Central Russia and Turkey ??)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

24-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I personally believe it would be much more advantageous to learn telepathy and put this language thing behind us.

[Image: I-don%27t-use-telepathy-often-But-when-I...cebook.jpg]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post