The ''Dreamers'' fate in the balance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2017, 09:34 AM
RE: The ''Dreamers'' fate in the balance
(01-09-2017 08:23 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  What would your plan be for those who wish to continue to live and work here but NOT give up their citizenship in their home country/not become citizens? Yeah, believe it or not they do exist.

I'm sure they do exist but they may have to make a choice here.

This may be that rare instance where Trump made the correct political move and calculation. The DACA policy Obama put in place, and he originally agreed to keep, was being challengedin the courts. This move forces Congress to get involved to resolve this issue.

Given all the things he could have done here, his decision isn't awful. Hopefully Congress does the right thing and solves this for all these people.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Well, It's now official, the DACA policy is now over and the Congress has 6 months to find a satisfactory solution. I have serious doubt after the repeated failures of the Congress and Senate to handle the healthcare reform that it will manage to reform the immigration system within the same amount of time. The DACA policy was implemented after repeated failures to reform immigration policies in the first place. Trump's low leadership and difficulties makes me think this will be solved by yet another temporary and precarious policy that will only push further ahead the immigration policies issues.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
05-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Low leadership? He is purposefully not leading and leaving everything to congress and others. That way he is never to blame - he tried but the others didn't do their work.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
05-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Agree with you on "low leadership". He hasn't put out a preferred policy, he just punted the issue to others. I can't wait to be done with this asshole. 3.5 years to go.

Weeping

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-09-2017, 02:00 PM
(05-09-2017 11:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  Agree with you on "low leadership". He hasn't put out a preferred policy, he just punted the issue to others. I can't wait to be done with this asshole. 3.5 years to go.

Weeping

Congress writes laws anyway. DACA was probably executive overreach. A president unilaterally allowing 800,000 people to stay without any congressional input? Trump is right to end it. And giving congress and the immigrants 6 months is generous in my opinion. He could have just cancelled it on the spot and started deporting people. Now congress has 6 months to act and an unconstitutional presidential action is removed. A win for all.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-09-2017, 02:12 PM
(05-09-2017 02:00 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  an unconstitutional presidential action is removed. A win for all.

Funny, you don't seem to have a problem with Trump's executive orders?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
(05-09-2017 09:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Low leadership? He is purposefully not leading and leaving everything to congress and others. That way he is never to blame - he tried but the others didn't do their work.

Ding, Ding, Ding....right answer Smile

The 6 mo delay is just as much about spreading the blame with Congress as it is about an "orderly winding down" of the program.

Although it also is worth pointing out that Congress (not the president) has the actual authority to implement this sort of program. DACA was executive branch overreach to begin with. There is a good chance Texas's (and others') threats to sue and kill the program in court would have succeeded.

DACA, or something like it, couldn't pass out of Congress when the Dems had a veto proof majority in the Senate and control of the Congress. I would not bet on Congress solving this problem now.
05-09-2017, 02:25 PM
(05-09-2017 02:00 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 11:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  Agree with you on "low leadership". He hasn't put out a preferred policy, he just punted the issue to others. I can't wait to be done with this asshole. 3.5 years to go.

Weeping

Congress writes laws anyway. DACA was probably executive overreach. A president unilaterally allowing 800,000 people to stay without any congressional input? Trump is right to end it. And giving congress and the immigrants 6 months is generous in my opinion. He could have just cancelled it on the spot and started deporting people. Now congress has 6 months to act and an unconstitutional presidential action is removed. A win for all.

Really stupid move. It will cost us billions to deport them, and we lose billions in taxes they now pay. They are all vetted and productive, no one on welfare at all. They are propping up the economy and we pay billions to remove them.

Like we didn't have enough issues with Texas drowned, Oregon on fire and possibly Florida getting hit too... because we have no global warming and the hurricanes aren't blooming with the warmer water temperature.

Oh, and let's throw a few billion at a wall that will serve no purpose, while we pay a few billion to the military so we can trade more insults with Korea.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! Weeping

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-09-2017, 02:42 PM
(05-09-2017 02:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 02:00 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  an unconstitutional presidential action is removed. A win for all.

Funny, you don't seem to have a problem with Trump's executive orders?

scope
noun

1. extent or range of view, outlook, application, operation, effectiveness, etc.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
05-09-2017, 03:52 PM
(05-09-2017 02:42 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 02:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  Funny, you don't seem to have a problem with Trump's executive orders?

scope
noun

1. extent or range of view, outlook, application, operation, effectiveness, etc.

scope
noun

2. the thing stuck up your ass.

[Image: k6ze1LD.jpg]

#sigh