The ''Dreamers'' fate in the balance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2017, 07:45 PM
RE: The ''Dreamers'' fate in the balance
(07-09-2017 07:31 PM)phetaroi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 06:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  6. I've taken in and supported 6 until they were capable of sustaining their contribution to society on their own. 6. You?

I applaud you.

None. However, as a school principal I worked especially hard to see that our Latino students were given every opportunity to fully participate in opportunities our school system provided, including inclusion in gifted programs (where appropriate), fairness in disciplinary hearings, and working with a couple of students who were in a gang to help them get out of a gang.

However, I think you miss the point of my previous post.

I hope you feel comfortable with your response. Is that the point of your response? That you feel comfortable with your response?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-09-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 07:59 PM by Dom.)
(07-09-2017 06:16 PM)phetaroi Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 04:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  If I were ruler of another country, I would shout from the roof tops that these guys are welcome in my country. They sound like good, productive citizens. Maybe Canada will take them, or France.

How many have you taken into your home?

My one bedroom home that's designed for seniors is not a country. My remark is based on the fact that Canada and France are countries, and both have expressed invitations to US people before. The US, who threatens to expel the dreamers, is also a country.

What's up with that belligerent question? It doesn't even make any sense.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-09-2017, 07:58 PM
BTW, I heard today that Pelosi called Trump and shortly after he wrote the tweet in which he tells the dreamers not to worry.

He is just using the dreamers to play his games with congress.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Funny, Burma's doing the same thing right now, kicking people who have lived there all their lives out of theirs homes and country.
Seems to be a running theme in the world right now. It's happening in Iraq too to some degree, Shia military groups not letting Sunni residents return to their homes after liberating towns from ISIS in order to change the demographic of the country. Even Australia to some degree is taking away more and more services from Kiwi immigrants such as the ability to go to the university or claim unemployment. The main opposition party running for election in Germany is running on a principle that Germany is letting in far too many immigrants.
Who knows what's gonna happen with BREXIT, it certainly opens the door to keeping people out, that's why people voted for it.

For a world that's never been so connected we sure as shit don't want anything to do with each other.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-09-2017, 01:05 AM
(07-09-2017 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  For a world that's never been so connected we sure as shit don't want anything to do with each other.

Everyone's looking at everyone else and thinking "Shit, we don't have enough". So the game is, kick out whoever you can - which means whoever is weak and has no defenders - for whatever stupid reason you can dream up. Kick them out, once they're gone they're someone else's problem.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-09-2017, 02:44 AM
(08-09-2017 01:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  For a world that's never been so connected we sure as shit don't want anything to do with each other.

Everyone's looking at everyone else and thinking "Shit, we don't have enough". So the game is, kick out whoever you can - which means whoever is weak and has no defenders - for whatever stupid reason you can dream up. Kick them out, once they're gone they're someone else's problem.

Nah, I think it's just that people are racist dickheads.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-09-2017, 02:49 AM
(08-09-2017 02:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 01:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  Everyone's looking at everyone else and thinking "Shit, we don't have enough". So the game is, kick out whoever you can - which means whoever is weak and has no defenders - for whatever stupid reason you can dream up. Kick them out, once they're gone they're someone else's problem.

Nah, I think it's just that people are racist dickheads.

Ja, but I think racist dickheads become that way because of the we-don't-have-enough mentality. Then it's easy for them to point and say "Those people are STEALING my STUFF!!!" Especially if those people are conveniently colour coded for ease of hating...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-09-2017, 04:35 AM
(07-09-2017 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The main opposition party running for election in Germany is running on a principle that Germany is letting in far too many immigrants.

Are you referring to the AfD? I wouldnt consider them being the "main opposition". Until now they arent even in parliament. However prospects for the upcoming (2 weeks) elections are becoming more and more bleak. They will probably end up being the 3rd strongest party after the CDU and SPD with 10%+ (however this marigin will be probably very small), with having half the voters of the once so big social democrats. . The FDP, Die Linke, GrĂ¼ne will also be in the 8-10% ballpark.

I wouldnt consider them being "main opposition" mainly because there is few things all other parties agree on, but the Afd being xenophobic, ultra-nationalist and probably even fascist assholes (AfD actively refuses to distances itself from clearly fascist members like Trump refused to distance himself from KKK, etc.).

Current surveys:
http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
08-09-2017, 05:09 AM
(07-09-2017 07:31 PM)phetaroi Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 06:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  6. I've taken in and supported 6 until they were capable of sustaining their contribution to society on their own. 6. You?

I applaud you.

None. However, as a school principal I worked especially hard to see that our Latino students were given every opportunity to fully participate in opportunities our school system provided, including inclusion in gifted programs (where appropriate), fairness in disciplinary hearings, and working with a couple of students who were in a gang to help them get out of a gang.

However, I think you miss the point of my previous post.

I'm a teacher and one of the few with an ESOL endorsement at my school. I aggressively advocate for foreign born students as well. But, look, everything you mentioned is a fundamental part of your job and mandated by law. It's a good stuff to do but doing your job, at work, is very different than giving up your personal space and sacrificing your time outside of work. When I read GM's post, I didn't think, hey I do this or that at work. I thought, damn here's a (girly) man who's doing something very commendable.
08-09-2017, 05:23 AM
(07-09-2017 06:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 05:34 AM)BnW Wrote:  I don't know about "right wing" but Obama is certainly a muderous thug. He ordered the execution of an American citizen, killed the guys son as well, and had the military fire missiles from drones that killed dozens of innocent people.

If that's not a murderous thug, then the phrase has no meaning.

Yup. So was Truman by that definition. Don't think either Truman or Obama would disagree with you by that definition.

I don't consider Truman a murderous thug. The Korean War wasn't our finest hour but it equally wasn't our lowest. I think protecting South Korea was morally justifiable. And, while that was not done with Congressional approval, it wasn't done in secret either. We were part of a UN sanctioned fighting force and it was out in the open. What Obama did was the complete opposite of that. The secret list of Americans he alone can decide to have killed is about as far from what happened in Korea as you can get. And, civilians killed during a war, while tragic, is not nearly the same thing as us just firing missiles into a wedding party because we think one of the guests may be a terrorist.

A lot of really awful things happened overseas while Obama was President. But, because he was such a swell guy, the press barely said "boo" about it. If Trump were to do the exact same things, I guarantee you there would be a vastly different reaction from the media.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost