The Dumbest Word in the World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2015, 05:43 PM
The Dumbest Word in the World
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just ran across it, and thought y'all might enjoy. Share with your Christian or Muslim friends!

"The Dumbest Word in the World" (Hint: it's "Omnipotence".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANfvjNob3Qo

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-07-2015, 06:24 PM
RE: The Dumbest Word in the World
(05-07-2015 05:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just ran across it, and thought y'all might enjoy. Share with your Christian or Muslim friends!

"The Dumbest Word in the World" (Hint: it's "Omnipotence".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANfvjNob3Qo

I agree! Thanks for video.
The knowing of- the all- comes across as an oxymoron.
05-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Just give them the old Boulder argument when they declare omnipotence. If God can do anything then can he create a boulder that's too heavy for him to lift. If he can't lift the boulder then he is not omnipotent, if he cannot create the bolder then he is not omnipotent.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
05-07-2015, 07:22 PM
(05-07-2015 06:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Just give them the old Boulder argument when they declare omnipotence. If God can do anything then can he create a boulder that's too heavy for him to lift. If he can't lift the boulder then he is not omnipotent, if he cannot create the bolder then he is not omnipotent.

I suppose in some netherworld, beyond our logic,emotion, and understanding, it could be possible, but in that scenario it is meaningless to us.
05-07-2015, 08:02 PM
(05-07-2015 06:58 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Just give them the old Boulder argument when they declare omnipotence. If God can do anything then can he create a boulder that's too heavy for him to lift. If he can't lift the boulder then he is not omnipotent, if he cannot create the bolder then he is not omnipotent.

That's a fallacious argument. It's a logical contradiction. An omnipotent being would not be able to create a four angle triangle either. This argument is popular, but its about as fallacious as the God of the Gap argument or the argument from morality. Omnipotence a rather ridiculous concept, but the Boulder Argument is a bad way to present it.
05-07-2015, 08:33 PM
(05-07-2015 08:02 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

That's a fallacious argument. It's a logical contradiction. An omnipotent being would not be able to create a four angle triangle either. This argument is popular, but its about as fallacious as the God of the Gap argument or the argument from morality. Omnipotence a rather ridiculous concept, but the Boulder Argument is a bad way to present it.

If something was truly omnipotent then it could defy logic and make a four sided triangle, thats the whole point of omnipotency, to do anything, but to give it a case where either outcome disproves its omnipotency, it gives them no choice except for "God works in mysterious ways". Doesn't really matter anyways, most if not all will not listen to reason and just continue on with their religious nonsense.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-07-2015, 05:35 AM
@JDog554

If God could make a four sided triangle (which all of us would call a square or a rectangle), what's to prevent him to be both capable and incapable of lifting any object at the same time. After all, according, to the myth God died of a spear thrust and was incapable of lifting a wooden cross and simultaneously was immortal, raised people from the dead and create the universe. If you give space for logic and reason to thrown out of the window for the sake of an argument (and one that can easily be replaced by a better argument that doesn't defy logic), expect other people to do it too and any audience to accept it. If you based any of your argument on logic and reason before, by using this one, you made all them just has moot as the illogical, fallacious reasoning that your opponent might have used.
06-07-2015, 05:40 AM
Yeah I never got the boulder argument.

If I ask Someone to make a rock so heavy that they can't lift it... And they make such a rock, then theyve done what ive asked!