The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2012, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 10:03 AM by Superluminal.)
The Dunning-Kruger Effect
So I have often discussed this effect lately in reference to the religious and their total lack of education on subjects such as evolution. In an oversimplified nutshell the Dunning-Kruger effect is research that describes the ultimate catch-22 of "you're too stupid to figure out how stupid you are."

I think it is especially interesting that in America it is worse than other countries. Not surprisingly there is something about American culture that leads the average guy on the street to think he knows a lot more than he really does about pretty much everything.

In Asia, the effect is actually reversed, with most people underestimating their abilities.

As a starter, here is the wikipedia article on it with some references listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%...ger_effect

And here is a link to Dunning and Kruger's original research in a .pdf file:
Dunning-Kruger .pdf

Aaannnnd here is their site with other research in the "publications" section that followed up on this effect. http://people.psych.cornell.edu/~dunning/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
RE: The Dunning-Kruger Effect
(04-03-2012 09:56 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  As a starter, here is the wikipedia article on it with some references listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%...ger_effect

And here is a link to Dunning and Kruger's original research in a .pdf file:
Dunning-Kruger .pdf

Aaannnnd here is their site with other research in the "publications" section that followed up on this effect. http://people.psych.cornell.edu/~dunning/

Because I love Cracked.com so much, here's their take on it.

If I'm debating someone and it seems that nothing I say even causes them to pause and consider their position, I often ask them if they make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, and because this is axiomatic it's always answered with "of course". Then I ask for an example. If a person can't come up with an example of how they've made a mistake, they're probably suffering from this.

I regularly question my own actions and thoughts, and I think people who aren't even willing to consider that they may be wrong are people who will never be right... you can't fix your flaws if you aren't even willing to recognize that they require fixing.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
This is the best thing I've read all day.

"the infamous Dunning-Kruger effect, a catch-22 seemingly designed by Satan himself that makes incompetent people unable to judge their own incompetence because measuring competence is the thing they're least competent at."
- Cracked writer. Probably Micheal Swaim, because he's funny. I looked back and it was Sam Cooper. Oh well.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
05-03-2012, 05:24 AM
I think such a effect stems from the fear of admitting that you are wrong. That may explain why this effect is common among fundamentalists. They are unable to admit they are wrong, their life fully hinges on that false perception on the world.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
The interesting thing is, recognizing things you are not good at an not knowledgeable about can actually help you so much in life. The bright spot of the research is, education is what dampened this. People who ACTUALLY learned more about a subject were able to then recognize how little they knew before and be critical. This is one of the reasons I have always felt that education is the key to overcoming barbaric religions.
[+] 2 users Like Superluminal's post
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
(04-03-2012 04:26 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Because I love Cracked.com so much, here's their take on it.

(04-03-2012 04:55 PM)lucradis Wrote:  This is the best thing I've read all day.

"the infamous Dunning-Kruger effect, a catch-22 seemingly designed by Satan himself that makes incompetent people unable to judge their own incompetence because measuring competence is the thing they're least competent at."
- Cracked writer.

Cracked for the win! That site is often even more hilarious and insightful than TheOnion. Big Grin ... No that's not fair, they are equally hilarious and insightful.

(05-03-2012 08:13 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  The interesting thing is, recognizing things you are not good at an not knowledgeable about can actually help you so much in life. The bright spot of the research is, education is what dampened this. People who ACTUALLY learned more about a subject were able to then recognize how little they knew before and be critical.

Think it's even more than that. More like, "People who ACTUALLY learned more about a subject were able to then recognize how little they know after looking into it." We're just too stupid to realize how stupid we are on a topic until we look into it. Apparently, a great many citizens of the USA are perfectly content to go through life this way. Lest they go to University and be labeled "elitists" and "snobs" by the Rick Santorums and whatnot.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Plato said:

Quote: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post