The Earth is FLAT and covered by a big DOME.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 03:48 AM by The Dark One.)
The Earth is FLAT and covered by a big DOME.
Ok, I guess I'm the last person in the world to know about these...people.
A few months ago, a friend made a joke about the "flat earth society". I thought he was just being funny, but further discussion revealed -he said anyway- that there was a fairly large group of people who believe that the earth is flat, and covered by a huge dome. The moon landings and all NASA programs have been faked, and they even have videos showing "proof". Things like rockets exploding in flight (they hit the dome, of course) and "proof" that the stars and planets are projections. It's...insane.
If you've never seen these whackadoos, go to youtube- here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flat+earth

https://youtu.be/CuvPAm9XIsY

https://youtu.be/qcgxBTrmIhU

I'm curious if most people are already aware of these flat earthers or not. It just seems so surreal to me that people in 2016 really believe this drivel.

As a commercial pilot I have to flight plan using the great circle routes...which are courses corrected for the curvature of the earth. Without this correction we would constantly miss our destinations.

As a military pilot I frequently flew high enough to SEE the curvature of the earth. (it's technically visible at 35,000 ft, but around 50,000 ft it is unmistakable and undeniable.

Although I never served as a police sniper, I did go through sniper school, and I compete at extreme range shooting (1000 yards+) At this distance, the Coriolis forces must be accounted for, or...you will miss. Although this doesn't itself definitively prove the earth is round, is does prove the earth rotates on a central axis.

Anyone with a weather balloon,a few tanks of helium, a go pro and a gps can prove this for him- or her- self.

So how do groups like this perpetuate?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2016, 03:48 AM
RE: The Earth is FLAT and covered by a big DOME.
(30-07-2016 03:42 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  ...
I'm curious if most people are already aware of these flat earthers or not

Yup. There was a conversation going on here last week about 'geo-lateralists'.

Big Grin

30-07-2016, 04:13 AM
One of the funniest points these fruit loops make is that the Earth MUST be flat or else planes going straight would fly straight off the side of the Earth

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
30-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Quote:'geo-lateralists'.

LOL...geo-lateralists. Love it.

That's hilarious...y'all wandered a bit because of...er, blimpie? and I had to google NDE, but that is still a riot. That video had me rolling. Wow.
30-07-2016, 04:30 AM
(30-07-2016 04:13 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  One of the funniest points these fruit loops make is that the Earth MUST be flat or else planes going straight would fly straight off the side of the Earth

Well, OBVIOUSLY... Smile
30-07-2016, 04:33 AM
I think I mentioned elsewhere that I jointed the Flat Earth Society back in 1982.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
30-07-2016, 05:01 AM
(30-07-2016 04:33 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think I mentioned elsewhere that I jointed the Flat Earth Society back in 1982.

Wow! You must be the president, or Lord High Dick Tater or whatever y'all have, by now! It's good to have a hobby. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
30-07-2016, 05:37 AM
(30-07-2016 03:42 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  So how do groups like this perpetuate?

They perpetuate by ignorance, confirmation bias and a stubborn refusal to change their mind in light of evidence or refusal to understand the implications of the science that falsifies their world view,

Sounds like other groups of people we encounter on this forum........

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-07-2016, 05:41 AM
(30-07-2016 05:01 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(30-07-2016 04:33 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think I mentioned elsewhere that I jointed the Flat Earth Society back in 1982.

Wow! You must be the president, or Lord High Dick Tater or whatever y'all have, by now! It's good to have a hobby. Smile

Nah, we were in the PG and I was bored, so I sent off for a bunch of stuff listed in the People's Almanac.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2016, 06:15 AM
There's no theory, belief or dogma that is too silly, unrealistic or stupid to have avid followers.

This is due chiefly to the fact that a fair number of people are utter morons.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post