The Earth's 6th Mass Extinction is underway.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2014, 06:13 PM
The Earth's 6th Mass Extinction is underway.
And apparently we are the cause, at least, according to scientific studies released in Science Magazine. Story. My favorite part was comments on Facebook of people complaining that the Earth is only 6,000 years old lmao. IDK if any of this is true or not but it makes you think about what could be done to make things better.

Quote:Deforestation, climate change and the dramatic impact human societies have had in reshaping the Earth for the past few thousand years are taking an extraordinary toll on its animal species, which are dying off about 1,000 times faster today than they did before humans arrived.

It all adds up to the sixth mass extinction in the planet's history, the editors of Science Magazine report in a special series of scientific studies released Thursday, which both explore the implications of "anthropocene defaunation" and offer prescriptions for how we might re-colonize animal populations throughout the world.

As one study pointed out, over the past four decades Earth's human population has roughly doubled, while during the same period the number of invertebrate species -- like insects, worms, spiders, clams, snails and starfish -- has shrunk by about 45 percent.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
25-07-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: The Earth's 6th Mass Extinction is underway.
(25-07-2014 06:13 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  And apparently we are the cause, at least, according to scientific studies released in Science Magazine. Story. My favorite part was comments on Facebook of people complaining that the Earth is only 6,000 years old lmao. IDK if any of this is true or not but it makes you think about what could be done to make things better.

Quote:Deforestation, climate change and the dramatic impact human societies have had in reshaping the Earth for the past few thousand years are taking an extraordinary toll on its animal species, which are dying off about 1,000 times faster today than they did before humans arrived.

It all adds up to the sixth mass extinction in the planet's history, the editors of Science Magazine report in a special series of scientific studies released Thursday, which both explore the implications of "anthropocene defaunation" and offer prescriptions for how we might re-colonize animal populations throughout the world.

As one study pointed out, over the past four decades Earth's human population has roughly doubled, while during the same period the number of invertebrate species -- like insects, worms, spiders, clams, snails and starfish -- has shrunk by about 45 percent.

Just watch; humans will come out of it with nary a scratch.
Just like the cockroaches, fruit-flies and millipedes.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-07-2014, 06:24 PM
(25-07-2014 06:16 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 06:13 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  And apparently we are the cause, at least, according to scientific studies released in Science Magazine. Story. My favorite part was comments on Facebook of people complaining that the Earth is only 6,000 years old lmao. IDK if any of this is true or not but it makes you think about what could be done to make things better.

Just watch; humans will come out of it with nary a scratch.
Just like the cockroaches, fruit-flies and millipedes.

I know we will survive but if global warming and stuff is true, then we are the ones causing it and that's what scares me the most.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
25-07-2014, 06:25 PM
There's no 'if' about it.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 7 users Like CiderThinker's post
25-07-2014, 06:28 PM
(25-07-2014 06:25 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  There's no 'if' about it.

I believe in that stuff but some people may not hence why I said if. Scary stuff though. Poor creatures that have to die because of us.

25-07-2014, 06:34 PM
(25-07-2014 06:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

I believe in that stuff but some people may not hence why I said if.
So what? Wink

Seriously, if people don't believe in it then they are either ignorant or self-deluding.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

25-07-2014, 06:38 PM
(25-07-2014 06:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

I believe in that stuff but some people may not hence why I said if.

I doubt you'd go around saying 'If evolution is true" or "If gravity is true" just in case some delusional person might disagree with real science.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-07-2014, 06:40 PM
(25-07-2014 06:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 06:28 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I believe in that stuff but some people may not hence why I said if.

I doubt you'd go around saying 'If evolution is true" or "If gravity is true" just in case some delusional person might disagree with real science.

Well I tend to be more respectful of people unless they are religious. Something like global warming i'm just not gonna get too worked up about.

25-07-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm curious as to why you make that distinction?

[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
25-07-2014, 06:59 PM
(25-07-2014 06:44 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I'm curious as to why you make that distinction?

I don't have people come to my door to tell me about how global warming is fake and bad personal experiences religion has caused me.