The Easter Bunny And Santa Clause

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 1.5 Average
30-10-2012, 01:37 PM
RE: The Easter Bunny And Santa Clause
(30-10-2012 12:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Either at least one god exists or none exists. That's the truth. Identifying which one is factual helps in finding real truth. Atheism and theism can both help in finding real truth and neither hinders it because both are part of the truth (the whole truth being that one is fact and the other is not).

Pretty good answer. One more question. Which of the two (atheism and theism) is most likely to hinder finding real truth. My answer would obviously be theism. In fact, I disagree strongly with your estimation that neither hinders it because theism has distorted it, obscures it becoming the accepted tradition. The two, that is, the tradition and the possible real truth, are incompatible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2012, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 02:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-10-2012 12:05 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 11:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This one doesn't even know when and how in history the "inspiration" claims arose, and why.

Maybe some day when you finally get out of school you can explain it to me. It is, I suppose, possible, even likely that you could be shat out of the institution broke and stupid.

No it's not. possible. I haven't paid a cent for my education. My grandpa and his, and the families, paid for it. It's neither here nor there. Wealth is mostly a bother. This proves your assumptions about the world are false.

The reason anything is in the canon today, has nothing to do with "inspiration", and among all the texts available are IN the canon for reasons OTHER than "inspiration", thus "inspiration has nothing what-so-ever to do with anything. The "standard", and methodology for canon inclusion had NOTHING to do with "inspiration". They were, by a HUMAN flawed process, placed into the canon, and after that process was completed, the inspiration claims were made about ABOUT them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-10-2012, 02:20 PM
(30-10-2012 01:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wealth is mostly a bother.

Jeez. Feel free to bother me anytime Tongue
30-10-2012, 02:35 PM
(30-10-2012 12:25 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Real truth. Let me ask you two simple questions.

1. How does atheism help you and hinder you in the search for real truth?

2. How would theism help you and hinder you in the search for real truth?

Practice logic long enough and you realize "truth" can't exist outside a formal axiomatic system. It intrinsically can't, it's weak that way. We do not find ourselves in a formal axiomatic system. There is no "truth" out here. "Out here in the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we IS stoned... Immaculate."

But, "I'll tell you this, No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-10-2012, 02:39 PM
(30-10-2012 10:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 10:27 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Read the book of Revelation.

Now all he has to do is explain how, why, when, where, and in what context that particular piece of human literary endeavor was written by a human, what motivated the writer to write the words he wrote, when, why and how it was included in some canons and not others, and what it meant in the context of the day it was written.

The assumption that one could just read an ancient text, and NOT know all that other information is so utterly delusional, it's beyond imagination.

By the way Mark, have you met Mikey. Mikey-The-Conflicted-Gay-Theist ?
He's been kicked off all the other boards, so he ended up here, as we are the only ones who tolerate insanity along with the rest.
Mikey, meet Mark. He know more about Christianity that you'll ever hope to.
Mark could perhaps help you with your Psych needs, as he's actually been to school.

Yeah, I met him in another thread, where he was trying to justify the babble by quoting the babble. It sounded like he was going to pick up his ball and go play somewhere else, so I sorta felt sorry for him. I even sent him a PM to encourage him to stay. Big mistake. You're right. He has no coherent trail of thought, so probably hasn't taken his medication. How did you find out he was so conflicted about his sexuality?
30-10-2012, 02:43 PM
(30-10-2012 02:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 12:25 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Real truth. Let me ask you two simple questions.

1. How does atheism help you and hinder you in the search for real truth?

2. How would theism help you and hinder you in the search for real truth?

Practice logic long enough and you realize "truth" can't exist outside a formal axiomatic system. It intrinsically can't, it's weak that way. We do not find ourselves in a formal axiomatic system. There is no "truth" out here. "Out here in the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we IS stoned... Immaculate."

But, "I'll tell you this, No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."

I love the doors. But let's not forget how Jim died.
30-10-2012, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 03:10 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-10-2012 02:39 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  How did you find out he was so conflicted about his sexuality?

He told us in his opening thread. I'll go find it, and quote it.

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I'm homosexual, was born that way and practiced until I discovered the truth of the Bible. Though I have had periods of time when I was unable to resist the natural urges since then for the most part I have abstained from homosexual activity, especially in the last few years. Though I have come to think of it as a disgusting practice I have nothing against homosexuals, nor a self loathing as such.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...The-Theist

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
30-10-2012, 02:57 PM
(30-10-2012 02:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I love the doors. But let's not forget how Jim died.

FBI coverup. Or was that Timothy Leary Huh Anyway, one of those guys with cool beards and did drugs almost year 'round. Wait! It was Santa!

30-10-2012, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 03:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-10-2012 02:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ... But let's not forget how Jim died. ...

Why? What's that got to do with the message? ... The Soft Parade has now begun fuckers, and you cannot petition the Lord with prayer.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-10-2012, 03:52 PM
(30-10-2012 03:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 02:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ... But let's not forget how Jim died. ...

Why? What's that got to do with the message? ... The Soft Parade has now begun fuckers, and you cannot petition the Lord with prayer.

I admit I don't know a lot about Jim's personal life. I do know he died a drug related death, and I know what I hear in the music and his poetry.

I love him for his enthusiasm, his persona, his "presence" and the fact he got it together so well with some great musicians.

I don't know what his "message" was other than what I've picked up from his lyrics...his celebration of his youth, his love of the psychedelic, his 'thumbs up" at society, the speed and excitement of his life.

I also think he promoted a drug taking lifestyle. That, at times, can be exciting and liberating, but too often wrecks lives and ends in disaster, which is , unfortunately, what happened to him.

I have seen too many people hallucinating and too many lives ruined by drugs for drug taking to hold any appeal for me. Life is too good good to ruin it with hallucinogens.

That's my 2c worth.