The Easter Bunny And Santa Clause

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 1.5 Average
30-10-2012, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 04:10 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The Easter Bunny And Santa Clause
(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I'm homosexual, was born that way

That means he thinks his capricious god made him that way.

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  and practiced until I discovered the truth of the Bible.

He actually has no clue about why the proscriptions were placed in the Law in Levitictus, (and maybe Genesis, if misinterprets the Lot myth). He just happened to find them there, and went with what he thought they meant.

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Though I have had periods of time when I was unable to resist the natural urges since then for the most part I have abstained from homosexual activity.

He thinks "natural urges" are somehow created, yet disordered.
If that part of "nature" is *disordered*, who's to say what is or is not *disordered* ?
He has no eduction in Biology, or Human Sexuality, or Scripture.

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Though I have come to think of it as a disgusting practice

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I have nothing against homosexuals, nor a self loathing as such.

He is deluded enough to think people who do "disgusting things", including himself, are not disgusting. Even an arm-chair psychiatrist would roar with laughter at that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-10-2012, 04:06 PM
(30-10-2012 02:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 02:39 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  How did you find out he was so conflicted about his sexuality?

He told us in his opening thread. I'll go find it, and quote it.

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I'm homosexual, was born that way and practiced until I discovered the truth of the Bible. Though I have had periods of time when I was unable to resist the natural urges since then for the most part I have abstained from homosexual activity, especially in the last few years. Though I have come to think of it as a disgusting practice I have nothing against homosexuals, nor a self loathing as such.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...The-Theist

Bloody hell! We're dealing with some serious pathology here! LOL This is a classic example of the evil babble ruining someone's identity and self esteem, despite what he claims.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
30-10-2012, 04:12 PM
BTW Mark,

When you were "away", (Congrats BTW !! Big Grin ), I found this lecture, which has a direct bearing on this subject.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ht=disgust

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
30-10-2012, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 04:24 PM by Impulse.)
(30-10-2012 01:37 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 12:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Either at least one god exists or none exists. That's the truth. Identifying which one is factual helps in finding real truth. Atheism and theism can both help in finding real truth and neither hinders it because both are part of the truth (the whole truth being that one is fact and the other is not).

Pretty good answer. One more question. Which of the two (atheism and theism) is most likely to hinder finding real truth. My answer would obviously be theism. In fact, I disagree strongly with your estimation that neither hinders it because theism has distorted it, obscures it becoming the accepted tradition. The two, that is, the tradition and the possible real truth, are incompatible.
I already answered that question. Neither. As such "most likely" doesn't make sense.

But I do find it interesting that you are a theist, but think theism hinders finding truth.

Edit:
Maybe it would make more sense this way: If I explore theism and find it to be untrue, then that becomes part of the truth that is now more known to me - namely that theism is untrue. Theism wasn't a hindrance in that example, but an aid in finding truth. Similarly, if I find it to be true, then that becomes part of what is now known to me.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
30-10-2012, 04:49 PM
(30-10-2012 04:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I already answered that question. Neither. As such "most likely" doesn't make sense.

But I do find it interesting that you are a theist, but think theism hinders finding truth.

The term The Theist was taken from my website, which started out to be an illustration. Originally it was going to be entitled The Atheist, but that didn't have the same sort of ring to it.

(30-10-2012 04:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Maybe it would make more sense this way: If I explore theism and find it to be untrue, then that becomes part of the truth that is now more known to me - namely that theism is untrue. Theism wasn't a hindrance in that example, but an aid in finding truth. Similarly, if I find it to be true, then that becomes part of what is now known to me.

Yes, that makes sense, but, it doesn't address the primary concern. Lets say, for example, that someone on this forum said some things about me that weren't true and you wanted to determine whether or not those things, were or were not true. Lets say they said I was 50 years old and weighed 1,000 lbs. Two important parts of discovering whether that were true or not would be 1. To ask me and 2. To determine what would have motivated the things being said by others about me.

In other words, religion has distorted the meaning of the Bible. This is historically documented.

The soul, for example. The English word comes from a meaning to be bound, because the superstitious people long after the Bible had been written, would bind their dead in order that they wouldn't escape and from the grave and as undead, harm people. This is a very unhappy translation of the Hebrew nephesh [נֶפֶשׁ] and Greek psykhe [ψυχή] which basically means life, blood, personal experience of any breathing creature, animal and man. The idea of an immortal soul departing the body to go to heaven or to hell isn't taught in the Bible. That is, what most people think of as the soul, according to the Bible is actually not the soul of the Bible it is the soul of Greek philosophy, which began to influence Jewish thinking about the time of Alexander the Great, and then Christian thinking post biblical.

Before Bucky comes charging in here to dumb this all down, lets consider the following: Plato, quoting Socrates wrote: "The soul, . . . if it departs pure, dragging with it nothing of the body, . . . goes away into that which is like itself, into the invisible, divine, immortal, and wise, and when it arrives there it is happy, freed from error and folly and fear . . . and all the other human ills, and . . . lives in truth through all after time with the gods." - Phaedo, 80, D, E; 81, A.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia says: "Nepes [nephesh] is a term of far greater extension than our 'soul,' signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2). The soul in the OT means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being. Similarly, in the NT it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37)." - 1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467.
30-10-2012, 05:05 PM
(30-10-2012 04:06 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Bloody hell! We're dealing with some serious pathology here! LOL This is a classic example of the evil babble ruining someone's identity and self esteem, despite what he claims.

Manic depression, it's a frustated mess.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-10-2012, 05:13 PM
This was on one of my first albums as a teenager ;D

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
30-10-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 07:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-10-2012 04:49 PM)The Theist Wrote:  Before Bucky comes charging in here to dumb this all down, lets consider the following: Plato, quoting Socrates wrote: "The soul, . . . if it departs pure, dragging with it nothing of the body, . . . goes away into that which is like itself, into the invisible, divine, immortal, and wise, and when it arrives there it is happy, freed from error and folly and fear . . . and all the other human ills, and . . . lives in truth through all after time with the gods." - Phaedo, 80, D, E; 81, A.

I had already during this past week posted that reference in a much more complete examination of the subject in the Resurrection thread. Idiot.
The Dialogues with Socrates were a fairly new development in Greek Philosophy, and Plato's Dualism, was not well accepted at first.

The etymology of the word "soul" is much more complex than The-Conflicted-Gay-Theist would suggest.
There is a difference in the Old Testament between a "shade" and a "soul", and many instances in the OT which prove there was no concept of "immortal soul". There WAS a very concrete idea of a dead "shade", (in Greek culture also), and that idea played a very real part in the concepts that developed around "resurrection" later.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...surrection

And BTW The-Uneducated-Mentally-Ill-Conflicted-Gay-Theist, since you have not ever once refuted one thing I have ever said, and yet have the balls to be THE ONLY person here who EVER gave me a negative rating, even while having been exposed as a fraud, and having been removed from other boards, I heartily thank you. It will be seen in it's context. It's like a valley girl, expelled from middle school calling her teacher "like (chomp chomp) like yer so stupid".

This coming from the idiot who starts a thread, and calls it Santa Clause. Right. Got it. Bowing

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-10-2012, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 06:25 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(30-10-2012 04:49 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 04:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I already answered that question. Neither. As such "most likely" doesn't make sense.

The term The Theist was taken from my website, which started out to be an illustration. Originally it was going to be entitled The Atheist, but that didn't have the same sort of ring to it.

(30-10-2012 04:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Maybe it would make more sense this way: If I explore theism and find it to be untrue, then that becomes part of the truth that is now more known to me - namely that theism is untrue. Theism wasn't a hindrance in that example, but an aid in finding truth. Similarly, if I find it to be true, then that becomes part of what is now known to me.

Yes, that makes sense, but, it doesn't address the primary concern. Lets say, for example, that someone on this forum said some things about me that weren't true and you wanted to determine whether or not those things, were or were not true. Lets say they said I was 50 years old and weighed 1,000 lbs. Two important parts of discovering whether that were true or not would be 1. To ask me and 2. To determine what would have motivated the things being said by others about me.

In other words, religion has distorted the meaning of the Bible. This is historically documented.

The soul, for example. The English word comes from a meaning to be bound, because the superstitious people long after the Bible had been written, would bind their dead in order that they wouldn't escape and from the grave and as undead, harm people. This is a very unhappy translation of the Hebrew nephesh [נֶפֶשׁ] and Greek psykhe [ψυχή] which basically means life, blood, personal experience of any breathing creature, animal and man. The idea of an immortal soul departing the body to go to heaven or to hell isn't taught in the Bible. That is, what most people think of as the soul, according to the Bible is actually not the soul of the Bible it is the soul of Greek philosophy, which began to influence Jewish thinking about the time of Alexander the Great, and then Christian thinking post biblical.

Before Bucky comes charging in here to dumb this all down, lets consider the following: Plato, quoting Socrates wrote: "The soul, . . . if it departs pure, dragging with it nothing of the body, . . . goes away into that which is like itself, into the invisible, divine, immortal, and wise, and when it arrives there it is happy, freed from error and folly and fear . . . and all the other human ills, and . . . lives in truth through all after time with the gods." - Phaedo, 80, D, E; 81, A.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia says: "Nepes [nephesh] is a term of far greater extension than our 'soul,' signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2). The soul in the OT means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being. Similarly, in the NT it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37)." - 1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467.

Re "In other words, religion has distorted the meaning of the Bible. This is historically documented."

Theist....be honest....there is no "meaning in the bible." The Bible is a theological, philosophical quagmire! It had too many contributors to be consistent. Anyone can quote some bit of it to back up almost any belief. The philosopher Daniel Dennet points out that when we try to comprehend Christianity we are confronted with a thicket in a swamp in a fog. Strangely enough, if “God’s” rules were more reliable, the Bible probably wouldn’t be so popular. The confusion has deliberately not been cleared up because it conceals the fact that the creeds contain lame brained, antiquated ideas. Too many people blame themselves for not understanding the Bible, but the real reason for their poor perception is its crazy contradictions.

Your attempts to make something sensible out of all the rambling is futile. You can't divorce the new testament from "religion" because "religion" ie the catholic church, created the new testament. The bible is "religion's' tool, its propaganda, what it uses to control people like you, the public.

I can hear any one of thousands of preachers with their own imaginative interpretations of ancient texts. Almost none of them have the slightest idea of how those texts got to be in the babble.

Talk to me about the real history...then we can have a meaningful conversation.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
30-10-2012, 06:22 PM
(30-10-2012 05:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... and yet have the balls to be THE ONLY person here who EVER gave me a negative rating,...

Gonna correct that shit Fullerene.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.