The "Eight Glasses of Water a Day" theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 05:27 PM
The "Eight Glasses of Water a Day" theory
While I agree that water is important (obviously) I have always questioned the idea that we absolutely MUST drink 8 glasses of water a day. This amount seems to have increased from the four to six glasses to the now 8 to 10 glasses.

My father told me that he believes that if you are thirsty then it means you are already dehydrated; I tried to tell him that there is a reason we have the thirst reflex and it is there to alert us that our bodies need it soon and does not kick in because we are already dehydrated.

He also believes that we often mistake thirst for hunger which is another load of blarney. Please not that my dad is very easily influenced by what he reads so since he read some books by a Dr. Batmanghelidj who seems to feel that all of our illnesses are all caused by dehydration and not genetics, viruses and so on can be cured if we just drink tons of water.

I feel that one should drink only when their bodies feel the need to take in water and that it is not very conducive to health to take in water when we don't need or want it.

Furthermore there is a marked difference between the feeling of hunger and the feeling of thirst. If I am hungry then no amount of water is going to make me feel better, conversely if I am thirsty then trying to eat a sandwich will not be appealing either.

Anyways I feel it is bad advice to once again try to apply a one set standard of water requirements to everyone regardless of who they are. Some people may need more depending on activity/metabolism levels. Sometimes body size is a factor as well.
Furthermore even illness can require a greater amount of water.

While I am at it, plain water is great but I also feel that liquid requirements can also be met with other variations such as juice, tea and so forth.
Not all of us can choke down the amount of water the so-called "experts" claim we should be guzzling. Furthermore all this water can be an actual impediment to digestion too. I don't mind a small glass of water with my meal but to chug down a huge glass of water? No thanks.
Watch an animal, it doesn't perch itself next to a watering hole or water dish all day long. When it is thirsty then it will seek out water and so should we.

Anyways..sorry if I am disjointed, it's hard to keep my train of thought from derailing and running away.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2012, 06:14 PM
RE: The "Eight Glasses of Water a Day" theory
I remember seeing someone once who used to calculate water intake based on your size and weight. Seemed a bit more sensible than a generic guideline for so many, but none the less still fell short of the mark.

A friend I had once adhered strictly to the principles of food combining. He would not take in any water upto 2 hours before a meal so as not to dilute his digestive juices. He would also not eat any food that needed an alkali to break it down at the same sitting as a food that needed acid to break it down, as both meeting in the stomach would cancel each other out. So if he wanted meat he would have meat and veg with no potatoes, if he wanted potatoes he would leave out the meat etc.

There was loads of other stuff he used to do too. He used to try to make sure that 75% of his diet was high water content food (fruit, salad, veg), he would eat nothing but fruit before 12 midday, and would not eat after 8 in the evening. It all seemed pretty strict, but he is one seriously fit man.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
21-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Australia is a hot country and eveywhere you see people with their purchased mineral water. Good for the suppliers but I would argue as to the benefit for the consumers. There is even sold water containing added vitamins.

I tend not to get thirsty too often, even after jogging and working out, so sometimes I have some extra water even if I don't feel like it, but not often.

While 1/2 and full marathon runners obviously need to keep hydrated lesser cardio vascular output, in my view, does not need too many top ups, especially bottled mineral water.
21-03-2012, 07:05 PM
All kinds of things figure into that. A lot of meds dehydrate and you need extra water if you take them.

Also, thirst is not always actual thirst, some people have "dry mouth" and it's just the mouth that dries out.

And so on and so on, lots of individual conditions.

I happen to like water and drink it all day, but it doesn't add up to all that much because I take small sips and a glass lasts hours.

I had a friend who died at age 32 of leukemia. He was a fitness and diet fanatic, he had all these strict dietary habits, much like the person described earlier.

He said to me: " I live the way one is supposed to, eat right, exercise and take the best care of my body. You smoke and drink, eat whatever comes to mind whenever you want it. I am dying and you'll live a long life. It's just not fair."

It's not. It's genetics, and none of us have any control over it. The way I have lived, especially in the Hippie times, lol, I should long be dead. But here I am, body and mind functioning perfectly well.

I do take better care of myself now that I am older, but 8 glasses of water just isn't going to happen.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
21-03-2012, 07:25 PM
where I live we have this infusion called mate, it's basically a tea, but we drink it all the time, and I mean several pots a day for those who, like me, love it.
Add to that the water I drink in every meal and I think I have more than plenty of water per day. But I never worried about how much water I had, and if I ever feel thirsty I just drink something, I don't think it's something to worry about really

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-03-2012, 08:05 PM
I try to drink around a litre a day of fluids (more if I need to counteract diuretics like coffee and tea) which seems to me about fair cos if I drink any more I constantly have to pee and that pisses me off (pun intended Big Grin )

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
21-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Wish I could find the clip, a few years ago Lewis Black did a great bit on the bottled water craze.

That said, please continue to buy the bottled water that starts with Aqua...lots of it. My husband and son work for the parent company...so, that kind of water is good for you, in massive quantities...yeah, that's it...it's good for you, has nothing to do with our mortgage getting paid. Angel

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Yep, I know what you mean, on the odd day where I do consume a few litres of water I piss like a bloody racehorse.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
21-03-2012, 10:22 PM
(21-03-2012 07:25 PM)nach_in Wrote:  where I live we have this infusion called mate, it's basically a tea, but we drink it all the time, and I mean several pots a day for those who, like me, love it.
Add to that the water I drink in every meal and I think I have more than plenty of water per day. But I never worried about how much water I had, and if I ever feel thirsty I just drink something, I don't think it's something to worry about really

What kind of buzz you gettin' off that, bro?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-03-2012, 10:38 PM
(21-03-2012 10:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 07:25 PM)nach_in Wrote:  where I live we have this infusion called mate, it's basically a tea, but we drink it all the time, and I mean several pots a day for those who, like me, love it.

What kind of buzz you gettin' off that, bro?

not much, it has a little caffeine in it but not too much, it's tasty though Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]