The "Eight Glasses of Water a Day" theory

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 11:27 PM
RE: The "Eight Glasses of Water a Day" theory
There is actual truth to confusing thirst for hunger. It has to do with people who don't normally drink water I think. I experienced it myself, most likely due to the fact that everything I was drinking had plenty of stuff in it to digest. Now I take a serious diarhettic so I need to drink a lot =p and I've always peed like crazy I was born with a weak bladder.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
22-03-2012, 04:13 AM
I had times when I had maybe 2 glasses of water a day and I felt fine, I wasn't thirsty and my health was just fine.

Now when I eat I feel like drinking a lot so I do it, and at work, where it is warm and dry air I really feel the need to drink a lot, too, so I am well over those two glasses, but I am not getting much higher than 1 litre per day.

When it started that all the "experts" told us that we have to drink 2 litres I was carrying a bottle around and started counting, and drinking felt like a job to me. Couldn't keep that up for long.
Also my doctor once told me that everything that you put in your mouth counts into the fluid intake. So if you eat cucumbers, water melon etc it counts, he even told me that eating chocolate counts because through a chemical process a lot of the chocolate will become fluid (or something like that).

So by now I just drink when I feel like it and I feel pretty healthy. Just like I am not forcing my body to eat more than it can I will not force it to drink more than it can.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Wow. I hadn't expected so many replies on this issue but I am glad to see I am not the only one who takes issue with a concept that has been chanted into our heads since birth.

I agree with you Leela, drinking that much does seem like a job to me as well and when it starts becoming that then there is something not quite right, is there?
We have these hunger/thirst reflexes for a reason; the body of any creature is quite complex in its own right and it is also well equipped to signal its needs as it deems fit.

Anyways, each body is different and size is not always an accurate determinate of how much water one really needs PLUS each body has its own chemical balance to maintain as well. Each cell has its own rate of exchange so to speak.
I think problems will inevitably arise when you have all these "experts" trying to impose a system that they think should apply to all but in the end it invariably misfits everyone.

Water just does not appeal to me if I am not in need of it just as food does not appeal if I am truly not hungry. Its how our bodies should work, by need and not by mandates and schedules.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
22-03-2012, 11:24 PM
The eight glasses of water theory doesn't fit for everyone. It depends on gender, weight, height, level of activity and etc.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
28-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Stupid. I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm thirsty. What "they" say, I care not. Because "they" are usually some quacks that want to look super-smart and earn money because of it. You just need to listen to your body, it will tell you all it needs to tell you. Other people can not know what and how you as individual function, at least not without a big medical exam.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
The thing about whoever came up with the 8 to 10 glasses of water theory didn't take into account the amount of water you get from your food. So the number of glasses should be less than 8 to 10.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
08-04-2012, 08:56 PM
True. The body is well equipped to extract water from food too. In I think all animals do this to one degree or another.

But you know, I think our bodies are smart enough to know when it needs water and when it doesn't.
The claim is that if you wait until you feel thirsty then you're already dehydrated; if that was the case then every single animal must be incredibly faulty as they don't drink unless they need it.

Yeah..maybe I could drink more water but I also trust my body to signal what it needs.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Like someone said, you do gain your required amount of water from food also.

You lose water through breathing, voiding (urinating and defecating), the moisture on your eyes and skin evaporate, ears (wax), and of course much sweating. Your hypothalamus controls thirst, it sometimes doesn't function properly or 100% correctly. As you age your hypothalamus slowly loses it's ability to signal thirst and your taste buds fade as well. This is the reason some if not most older people want more salt.

In the medical field it is well known that where there is sodium, water follows. If you intake more sodium your body will need/want more water to maintain homeostasis and electrolyte balance. Our kidneys, heart, and hypothalamus control many many things when it comes to our water/volume/sodium-potassium.

As far as the 8 glasses a day, well this is pretty close and is only an average. Each person is different in size, sex, and other differences. It's much like the temperature average of 98.6. Not everyone maintains this temperature, some stay in the range of 99.2 or even lower.

I could go much deeper and provide many things that fall into this category but I'm just too lazy to type all of that lmao. Did I mention I'm loving nursing school, I can't wait to graduate and go much deeper Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
15-04-2012, 09:35 PM
(21-03-2012 06:14 PM)Eternal Wrote:  I remember seeing someone once who used to calculate water intake based on your size and weight. Seemed a bit more sensible than a generic guideline for so many, but none the less still fell short of the mark.

A friend I had once adhered strictly to the principles of food combining. He would not take in any water upto 2 hours before a meal so as not to dilute his digestive juices. He would also not eat any food that needed an alkali to break it down at the same sitting as a food that needed acid to break it down, as both meeting in the stomach would cancel each other out. So if he wanted meat he would have meat and veg with no potatoes, if he wanted potatoes he would leave out the meat etc.

There was loads of other stuff he used to do too. He used to try to make sure that 75% of his diet was high water content food (fruit, salad, veg), he would eat nothing but fruit before 12 midday, and would not eat after 8 in the evening. It all seemed pretty strict, but he is one seriously fit man.
The next year he died of cancer, and we all cried.
Not because he died, he was a obviously an obtuse jackass. No, we cried because he wasted his whole life planning out what he would eat.