The Electoral College

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
14-12-2016, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2016 02:17 PM by Dom.)
The Electoral College
There are the following 3 purposes governing the electoral college:

Quote: In Federalist No. 68, Alexander Hamilton wrote that the electors would prevent those with “Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity” from becoming president. They would also stop anyone who would “convulse the community with any extraordinary or violent movements.”

Quote:In Federalist No. 68, Hamilton wrote that one major purpose of the Electoral College was to stop the “desire in foreign powers to gain an improper ascendant in our councils.” He said that the college would “Guard against all danger of this sort … with the most provident and judicious attention” from the electors.

Quote:The third goal was to prevent poor administration of government. This is a less well-known purpose of the Electoral College, but it is again expressly discussed in Federalist No. 68. Hamilton wrote that “the true test of a good government is its aptitude and tendency to produce a good administration,” and for that reason, he said, the electors should be “able to estimate the share which the executive in every government must necessarily have in its good or ill administration.”

Quote:This election has three aspects that have brought the Electoral College back to relevance.

First, Donald Trump is the first unquestioned demagogue to become a major-party nominee in our country’s history. On his quest to the general election, he stoked prejudices and passions to flout fundamental constitutional norms, such as our freedoms of the press, religion, and peaceful assembly.

Quote:Second, there’s incontrovertible evidence that Russia interfered in the campaign, by hacking the email accounts of top Democratic officials and cooperating with WikiLeaks’ parallel campaign to undermine Hillary Clinton campaign. Meanwhile, Trump has business entanglements in Russia and other foreign countries, the extent to which are unknown because Trump has not released his tax returns.

Quote:And third, his opponent, Hillary Clinton, is on track to win the popular vote now by over 2 million votes — over four times Al Gore’s narrow margin over George W. Bush in 2000 — a factor electors ought to be able to weigh, whether or not they think it is conclusive.
All of these factors lead us directly to a renascent Electoral College

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/11/...dent-trump

So, if you want the above to be considered, you might want to head to https://www.change.org/p/electoral-colle...ecember-19 to join a petition currently by 4.5 million people.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
14-12-2016, 02:17 PM
RE: The Electoral College
As pleasant as it is, I think this last-ditch hope will also fall through.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-12-2016, 02:26 PM
While I agree that the structure of the Electoral College is past due for a change or elimination, I also think that we have to accept this election as it stands. The election was decided according to the rules in place at the time.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-12-2016, 02:31 PM
(14-12-2016 02:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  While I agree that the structure of the Electoral College is past due for a change or elimination, I also think that we have to accept this election as it stands. The election was decided according to the rules in place at the time.

This isn't about changing the rules at all - this is about the rules as they stand and always have. Give it another look.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-12-2016, 02:36 PM
(14-12-2016 02:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 02:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  While I agree that the structure of the Electoral College is past due for a change or elimination, I also think that we have to accept this election as it stands. The election was decided according to the rules in place at the time.

This isn't about changing the rules at all - this is about the rules as they stand and always have. Give it another look.

Has the outcome of a presidential election every changed after the Electoral College has voted?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
14-12-2016, 02:41 PM
(14-12-2016 02:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 02:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  This isn't about changing the rules at all - this is about the rules as they stand and always have. Give it another look.

Has the outcome of a presidential election every changed after the Electoral College has voted?

My US history is weak, so I have to refer you back to the article quoted with:

Quote:There’s plenty of precedent for such conscientious electors. In fact, there have been 157 in our history.

I don't want to copy/paste the entire thing here.

And, it's not the point. The point is that they have a duty, and historically they have filled that duty conscientiously. Whether it actually overturned an election is besides the point am making in the OP.

14-12-2016, 02:59 PM
No electoral college outcome has been overturned in history. If they do, that would be a first and still be within the rules as they stand. It would be nice to see Donald Trump endure that.

However, there is an overwhelming sense of resignation. People want to do something, but they appear resigned to the outcome of November 9th.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
14-12-2016, 03:10 PM
(14-12-2016 02:59 PM)tomilay Wrote:  No electoral college outcome has been overturned in history.

Again, that is totally besides the point.

14-12-2016, 03:22 PM
(14-12-2016 03:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 02:59 PM)tomilay Wrote:  No electoral college outcome has been overturned in history.

Again, that is totally besides the point.

Yes it is. But it's true. Anjele asked.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
14-12-2016, 03:24 PM
(14-12-2016 03:22 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 03:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  Again, that is totally besides the point.

Yes it is. But it's true. Anjele asked.

The point is that the current election infringes on all 3 guide lines the electoral college has.

157 times before in our history, members of the electoral college have acted on much less infringement than we have today.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post