The Electoral College

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
14-12-2016, 04:43 PM
RE: The Electoral College
(14-12-2016 04:25 PM)KUSA Wrote:  [Image: d8fa126cce0b66c7fa1d32fbea49d4af.png]

Even if Russia uncovered some Clinton shenanigans, were they not true? If they are true then the people should know about it.

The people "should" know everything about both candidates. I then want to see the republican mails also, as well as trump's taxes. Especially those.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-12-2016, 04:44 PM
(14-12-2016 04:28 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 04:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Let's take a look at the possibilities here. I will say up front that I'm not enthused by any of them.

(1) 36 or fewer electors "go rogue" in favor of Clinton: Trump still wins.

(2) Exactly 37 electors "go rogue" in favor of Clinton. Neither candidate has a majority of electoral votes. The House of Representatives will decide the outcome. Note that they can't pick just anyone. Their choices are limited to those candidates who actually got electoral votes, so Clinton and Trump are the only choices. With a solid majority of state delegations Republican, there's no way they're going to pick Clinton. Trump still wins.

(3) 38 or more electors "go rogue" in favor of Clinton. Clinton wins. Obviously, this is the best-case scenario for Clinton supporters, but (a) she will be over a month behind on preparations to take office (unless she has been doing that behind the scenes); (b) she would still be a shitty president, just not as shitty as Trump; ( c ) she will have immense trouble accomplishing anything at all with Republican majorities in both houses of Congress; and, what worries me most, (d) Trump and his supporters will go ballistic. If you thought there were "riots" after Trump's win, you ain't seen nothin' yet. I don't think it would be the civil war that LDH predicted, but it won't be pretty either.

I don't see a good outcome here. It's gonna be a rough ride no matter what happens.
I think there's a fourth option: Exactly 37 electors go rogue in favor of a third candidate and Congress picks that person as president.

That is the solution a lot of people suggest at this point. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-12-2016, 05:19 PM
(14-12-2016 04:28 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 04:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Let's take a look at the possibilities here. I will say up front that I'm not enthused by any of them.

(1) 36 or fewer electors "go rogue" in favor of Clinton: Trump still wins.

(2) Exactly 37 electors "go rogue" in favor of Clinton. Neither candidate has a majority of electoral votes. The House of Representatives will decide the outcome. Note that they can't pick just anyone. Their choices are limited to those candidates who actually got electoral votes, so Clinton and Trump are the only choices. With a solid majority of state delegations Republican, there's no way they're going to pick Clinton. Trump still wins.

(3) 38 or more electors "go rogue" in favor of Clinton. Clinton wins. Obviously, this is the best-case scenario for Clinton supporters, but (a) she will be over a month behind on preparations to take office (unless she has been doing that behind the scenes); (b) she would still be a shitty president, just not as shitty as Trump; ( c ) she will have immense trouble accomplishing anything at all with Republican majorities in both houses of Congress; and, what worries me most, (d) Trump and his supporters will go ballistic. If you thought there were "riots" after Trump's win, you ain't seen nothin' yet. I don't think it would be the civil war that LDH predicted, but it won't be pretty either.

I don't see a good outcome here. It's gonna be a rough ride no matter what happens.
I think there's a fourth option: Exactly 37 electors go rogue in favor of a third candidate and Congress picks that person as president.

Perhaps, but that seems unlikely, and I'm not sure what the limits are. The electors might be restricted to people who were on the ballot, or were at least registered as candidates. For example, during the recent Wisconsin recount, it came out that anyone who wrote in Bernie Sanders might as well have written in Mickey Mouse -- the vote didn't get counted, because Sanders wasn't registered as a candidate in Wisconsin. If the electors are similarly restricted, they only have a few choices other than Clinton and Trump -- and I'm not a big fan of either Johnson or Stein either. Plus, I can't see Congress choosing someone who got 37 electoral votes over someone who got 269 (especially when Mr. 269 was "entitled to" 306). And I don't think the voting public would stand for it if they did.

As much as I hate him, I think we're stuck with Trump. I've already resigned myself to that.
14-12-2016, 05:29 PM
(14-12-2016 03:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  The point is that the current election infringes on all 3 guide lines the electoral college has.

Now I hope you realise that this is necessarily a subjective interpretation.
14-12-2016, 06:13 PM
The Electoral College
(14-12-2016 04:43 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 04:25 PM)KUSA Wrote:  [Image: d8fa126cce0b66c7fa1d32fbea49d4af.png]

Even if Russia uncovered some Clinton shenanigans, were they not true? If they are true then the people should know about it.

The people "should" know everything about both candidates. I then want to see the republican mails also, as well as trump's taxes. Especially those.

I agree.
14-12-2016, 06:24 PM
(14-12-2016 04:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 04:28 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I think there's a fourth option: Exactly 37 electors go rogue in favor of a third candidate and Congress picks that person as president.

That is the solution a lot of people suggest at this point. Thumbsup

If 37 go third party the House can vote Pence in. I'd go along with that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
14-12-2016, 06:29 PM
We have one in Texas. 36 to go.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
14-12-2016, 07:12 PM
OK, so while almost all possible solutions to Trump are worse than Trump I think I can see one that will work.

Wait for the right moment, hack his Twitter account and post "Mass shooting in &&&&. So sad. Ban these dangerous assault weapons NOW!!! #MAGA" and let his supporters take their natural course.

Bonus points if you can make it look like the hack originated in Russia.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
15-12-2016, 11:48 AM
The AP interviewed more than 330 electors, and they say they won't be making Hillary Clinton president
http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-the-el...lt-2016-12

That rules out option (2) and (3).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-12-2016, 12:44 PM
There's only a handful that say they won't be voting for their state choice.

What really gets me, there are few from states where Clinton won.

They say they are protesting the overall election. It's all kinds of stupid. They aren't (they claim) Trump supporters.

2016 is just the year when stupid came out to play and took the ball and ran away with it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post