The Electoral College

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
19-12-2016, 01:44 PM
RE: The Electoral College
(19-12-2016 12:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 12:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Apparently there are going to be faithless electors on both sides. So far we have one Republican elector from Texas vowing to vote for another candidate (potentially John Kasich) and one Democratic elector from Maine vowing to vote for Bernie Sanders.

Can they do that? I thought it had to be people who were on the winning presidential/vice presidential tickets?

These faithless electors are likely violating state rules or laws. Federal law allows pretty much anything--only the House/Senate are limited on who they can vote for if the electoral college fails to generate a clear winner.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
19-12-2016, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 02:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-12-2016 01:44 PM)BryanS Wrote:  These faithless electors are likely violating state rules or laws.

Only in 30 States. And the penalty for violation is typically a small fine. And they're probably unconstitutional anyway.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-12-2016, 02:12 PM
(19-12-2016 01:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 12:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Can they do that? I thought it had to be people who were on the winning presidential/vice presidential tickets?
The Associated Press just reported that a Democratic elector from Maine did in fact cast his vote for Bernie Sanders so it seems like they are able to do it.

Edit: Current vote count according to AJC: "Donald Trump has 224 votes; Hillary Clinton has 103 votes. There are 211 votes pending."

He changed his vote to Clinton. I didn't know they could change their vote. I guess they do rounds of voting.

Whatever, none of it matters. Too many trump electors are willing to wait to see what happens.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-12-2016, 02:30 PM
(19-12-2016 01:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What the hell is a "faithless" elector ?
What a totally idiotic term.
Voting one's conscience is not "faithless". In fact, it's probably the most "faithful" to the Constitution thing they could do.
Being a "rubber stamp" is not the function of an Elector, as envisioned by the founders. If it was, it could be done by an automated process.
If "faithful" means anything, voting for the winner of the popular vote would be "faithful". (It's not the Dumpstster).

To be fair, Vosur didn't coin the phrase "faithless elector". That seems to be a standard way to refer to electors who don't vote in line with the mandate of their state. I've seen the phrase in many places. It does seem to be a bit loaded, though.

I'm well aware of that. It's why I didn't quote anyone. It's an idiotic term.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Oh wow, seven Democratic electors have not voted for Clinton so far. Still 0 on the Republican side.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-12-2016, 02:44 PM
(19-12-2016 02:39 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Oh wow, seven Democratic electors have not voted for Clinton so far. Still 0 on the Republican side.

Are the votes not anonymous?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-12-2016, 03:12 PM
(19-12-2016 02:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  Are the votes not anonymous?
I thought so too, but various media outlets have live trackers where they keep track of the electors' votes.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-12-2016, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 03:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
I think this country's come to a sad state of affairs when we are covering what is a mere formality as anything other than the celebratory ceremonial proclamation of our new liege that it is. The King is dead! Long live the King! Banana_zorro

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-12-2016, 03:43 PM
(19-12-2016 02:39 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Oh wow, seven Democratic electors have not voted for Clinton so far. Still 0 on the Republican side.

I mentioned this would happen. They're doing on some sense of principle that the system itself doesn't work.

Which I think is all kinds of dumb. They should say they don't want to do it, quit and let the governors in the states pick new people.

Don't misunderstand me I believe the electoral college idea needs to go. This just isn't the way to fight it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Quote:“From whence shall we expect the approach of danger? Shall some trans-Atlantic military giant step the earth and crush us at a blow? Never. All the armies of Europe and Asia...could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years. No, if destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.”

― Abraham Lincoln 1837

Looks like today is that day.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post