The Emperor's Handbook A New Translation of The Meditations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 08:41 PM
The Emperor's Handbook A New Translation of The Meditations
So on the recommendations of a few folks in a separate thread I've started to read Marcus Aurelius Meditations.

Reference: http://www.amazon.com/The-Emperors-Handb...0743233832

So I went and bought this edition of Meditations as it seemed like a lighter read (dipping my toe into the waters) and its been not bad so far (not that far in). Alas I failed to do my homework and found that the translators of this book are Christians (which fine not that big of a deal, but as they are taking some liberties with the text in translating it to be more accessible I'm wondering how much of their world view comes through.

Anyone have any experiences with this addition? I wonder if another edition might be better. Given the respect this writing gets perhaps its not a bad idea to have a couple of copies - but perhaps that's getting a little out there.

Any thoughts?

Also for fun: I struggle between ebooks and books. Secretly I dream of building a book study, but I wonder how practical this will be in the long run. eBooks are just very convenient. So for now books of practical or sentimental value I think of buying and other books maybe I go the ebook route. Anyone have a good system they use?

~Jay
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jayc's post
16-01-2016, 12:08 AM
RE: The Emperor's Handbook A New Translation of The Meditations
For those who prefer aural stimulation ...

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-01-2016, 08:08 PM
(16-01-2016 12:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For those who prefer aural stimulation ...

Thank you, I'll give it a listen. Meditations is proving a little bit irksome with all its references to God and calls to what seems to amount almost to austere self denial? Still trying to hang on to glean what lessons I can as it is such a recommended read. I knew kind of what i was getting into, but I didn't expect the religious references to be so bothersome to me.

I did start reading/listening to Waldo Emerson and I found the his Self-Reliance lecture quite a bit more fulfilling. I've never read anything like this stuff and its almost intoxicating. I grew up more or less bible, pastor and elders as my guide.
26-01-2016, 09:47 AM
A lot of stoic philosophy (including Marcus Aurelius) found its way into Christianity, so it's not such a stretch for Christians to do an edition of this.